4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2nd Gear is back....How?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:02 AM

2nd Gear is back....How?

Since about late August, my tranny's (auto) been showing signs that it's about that time. Inevitable I feel and quite the run I must say seeing as my baby's got about 310k on her plus or minus 5 to maybe 10k due the dreaded intermitent speedo failure that I lived with for a little over 3 years.

Brag'n and pride aside, as far as I can tell, 2nd gear's been on vacation since about Mid Sept. Major pain in da rear, but winding out 1st till 3rd kicks in has done the job thus far. Well to my pleased yet unexpected surprise, 2nd gear was working this morning on the way to work. "Well Hello there 2nd gear! Where you been at man?" It was working at lunch too and I'm inclined to think that the little fella will be there when I go home today.

That said, what gives? I didn't think these sort of things happen when a tranny is truley about to go, or am I mistaking. Could this possible indicate that my tranny, while old and beat on, isn't quite ready to call it quits and that some other sensor or solenoid is possible to blame?

Given this recent occurence, I think I owe it too Maxeen to in someway confirm wether or not her tranny's prepp'n to split. Looking for some direction/tips on assessment.

Notes:

From park, Drive and Reverse engage like it always has. There is no delay at all. When 2nd gear was gone, there was definately a noticable delay in shifting with the 1st to 3rd jump being the most apparent. Since 2nd gears returned, she's been shifting like she always has.

My tranny fluid level is normal and still fresh looking and smelling.

I can't say for absolute certain, but I want to say that the tranny issues started a day or two after I splashed through the biggest friken puddle of water I've hit to date AND the splash guards under my car have been gone for a year so it's all exposed under there.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Capitone
Old 10-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Check and clean the electrical connections to the tranny.

I find it hard to grasp that the tranny could shift from 1st to 3rd, skipping 2nd.
The shifts are controlled by the TCU. If it sent the signal to shift to 2nd and 2nd was not engauging, it should have free spun, not shifted into 3rd.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:36 PM

Njmax, thank you for your response, I'll give that a go.

Sounds like you know more than I when it comes to this so I concede to your interpretation. I've no idea what gear it was shifting into, I just made this assumption based on how the next gear felt. That and the fact that the car would not engine break into 2nd only 1st. When you shift the lever into 2nd, the rpm would drop as if it were in neutral. I know nothing of tranny's which is why I'm asking around, but when this happened, I assumed that meant 2nd was gone.

Thanks again,

Capitone out
Old 10-28-2010, 07:50 AM

2nd gear is still hanging tough and I'm really stoked about that. Driving without it really sucked. I'm going to give Njamax's connector tip a shot this weekend, but if anyone else has any input on things to look at let me know.

I've recieved several PMs on stuff I never heard of, so I really feel as if I'm on the right track but you the saying....every little bit helps.

Thanks again,

-Capitone out-