4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Foglight theft protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 07:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Foglight theft protection

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to make there foglights theft resistant. I hear OEM 4th generation's foglights get stolen a lot. I don't want some stupid kid stealing my foglights like they did my diamonds!
Thanks in advance!!!
Old 12-17-2001, 08:50 PM

Re: Foglight theft protection

Originally posted by Champagne97
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to make there foglights theft resistant. I hear OEM 4th generation's foglights get stolen a lot. I don't want some stupid kid stealing my foglights like they did my diamonds!
Thanks in advance!!!
See if you can find an (allen-wrench) type bolt (specialty hardware/fastener store) with the same thread pattern/length as the OEM bolts (round, cylindrical head w/ allen-key-hole on face)- use of these might deter a first-time attempt by your garden variety thief who pops the lense cover off expecting a phillips-head or 10mm socket option & is surprised to learn that he's equipped with the wrong tools. Use a little Loc-tite blue on the threads before you put the bolts back in to hold them snug. (This will prevent the round allen-bolt head from being loosened with pliers/vise-grips)

If you're really feeling dedicated, fill the hex-bolt key opening on the head of the bolt with something like JB Weld. (Yes, that's what I said: this is a bare-knuckles fight against theft)

Place a piece of masking tape flat on the face of the bolt heads over the JB Weld, until it cures in place. This way, even if the thief has an allen key handy, it can't be used on THESE bolts.

(Just be prepared to use a Dremel tool or something similar to remove this filler material, if you need to remove the bolt in the future). That's gonna be your price of admission for this security mod.

You're always faced with the reality that "if someone wants it badly enough, they'll get it."

But the idea here, as with many theft-deterents, is to raise the inconvenience-factor for the potential thief, so they move on to easier pickings. There are three benefits to this approach:

1) Thief may not be able to remove light w/out damaging it. (very undesirable for them)
2) Thief may realize it's going to take too much time/effort to get this set of lights off your car, thereby exposing himself to too much risk. (He just moves to an easier target)
3) It's a preventative measure that is obvious enough to the thief, that he may not try to tear your bumper or the light apart, trying to remove it. -(As opposed to securing it from behind, or something).

Some may think this idea "extreme," but if you're thinking about "foglight theft prevention," you might already be comfortably within that category.

I have to admit, it concerns me a little that I'm giving this topic serious thought at all. I must be bored. Good luck!

Old 12-17-2001, 09:33 PM

You can fasten your clear corners better too,

from underneath with zip ties or even screws in the existing holes. But then when the creep goes to pry of the sideone he will chip your paint(like mine is, telling me someone has attempted) or break the lens. At least they aren't happy.