4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gambles progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
Nice progress thread!

First off, I'd like to sympathize with you about your divorce. I'm going throw the same thing so I know how it is. Getting stressed and dealing with it by modding...on a budget. Im totally with you.
Ya it sucks. I feel for you.

So, being in your shoes...and knowing my way around budget mods, I have some tips on the projectors. I used similar ones, J30's. (BTW 1st gen Lexus SC300-430 projectors are identical but not dual. Running those now.)

1.) The hole in the back of the headlight you cut looks way to big, which is why you had to use so much sealant.
I had the hole smaller and kept having to make it larger to push it farther back. Maybe next time around I'll have it better.
2.) Not removing the black headlight bracket and siliconing it to the headlight will come back to bite you in the ***. You have to have that free movement to be able to aim the lights. It shuldve been separated from the light while you were working on it.
How do you remove the black piece? I couldn't figure it out and didn't want to brake the clips that are on the end of the adjustment rod. After the silicone started to cure and was semi hard, I adjusted the rods to move the headlight in/out/up/down whatever and it unstuck from the black housing. The black 8mm that turns stripped on the inside so I had to put some jb weld on it. No worries there they won't be stuck together (headlight and black housing I mean)

3.) Using the 9004 socket stuck on the 9006 projector end will not help your light output. The 9006 socket is so deep as it is, it doesnt let as much of the bulb reflect on the projectors reflector cup.
I did it for simplicity purposes as I already had the 9004 kit and didn't want to spend the extra money.
4.) You couldve painted the projector with some chrome spray paint instead of covering it with tape. Less chance of heat causing the adhesive from pulling it apart.
Good idea, I didn't think about it. However there was a hole on the side from cutting that I covered up with the tape. So that was a must. All of it was not though.

5.) I like the inverted shroud idea. Definitely unique. Looks good.

Ok, #5's not a tip. I think I just slammed on you on 4 different things. Figured a little encouragement was necessary.
The good part is, is that if you dont like how it turns out, or any of my 4 tips reveal some problems, its totally fixable and you wont be out a bunch of money.
Exactly my friend. This is why I chose integra projectors, mainly because they were cheap, provide a cut off and to see if I can do the retro fit. If I couldn't do it or messed it up, I wouldn't be out a lot of money at all. I think headlights and projectors I have $120 into it, plus a lot of my time. And $15 in jb weld.

All in all it was a learning experience. After these are completely done I may end up waiting for more people to do the mod and post pics and take some ideas from others and what I have learned and try it again with fx projectors or something better than what I have.
I appreciate the tips and comments, thank you.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:56 PM

Just went to check on this thing, the 9004 adapter just popped off as soon as I touched it. Grrrr. I really hate jb weld. I have never like this stuff and never had good luck with it. Where is a damn tig welder when you need one.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:55 PM

Coming along pretty well even though you ghetto fabbed it haha.

Btw you have to stick the headlight back together then bake it so the sealant gets mushy and then push it all the way back together to get the headlight all sealed up.

p.s. I will paypal you the money soon for my half of those headers bro.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:40 AM

The adapter part for the 9004 actually dried pretty good over night. I wrapped it in tape because i'm **** as ****. I'll take the tape off once the jb weld cures 100%.

Mixed up some jb weld and put the shroud on. Make sure you put paper towels behind it because it will drip. I cleaned up 1 mess already.

If all goes well I should have them on this week along with some other stuff.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:36 PM

I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. Took the 9004 adapter from the stock headlight and trimmed it then cut lots of grooves into it with the dremel wheel. The jb weld will sink in and grab better to a rough surface. At least I think so.

Ran out of clear silicone so switched to black.

After it dried a little I peeled it away from the black housing so that it will still enable me to aim the headlights.
And again wait for it all to dry. Going back tomorrow to see what else I can do after work.

Picked up an intake pipe today. Not sure who makes it. Guy wanted $25 which is more than I wanted to pay but I wasn't going to complain too much. He was only a 10minute drive away. Anyone know what brand this is?

And what in the world is this stupid **** inside of it? WELDED in. I'm going to assume the curved end of the pipe goes closer to the throttle body? It's late and cold so I don't feel like popping the hood right now.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:41 AM

looks like trouble waiting to happen...take it out imo
Old 01-31-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gamble
I
Ran out of clear silicone so switched to black.

Its a flow straightener. It should help to increase flow velocity and throttle response. If its welded on and feels rigid enough then u shd keep it on.

And here is anbother question, wit all the modding u doing, when do u find time to drive the car ???
Old 01-31-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Its a flow straightener. It should help to increase flow velocity and throttle response. If its welded on and feels rigid enough then u shd keep it on.

And here is anbother question, wit all the modding u doing, when do u find time to drive the car ???
Ah ok.
I drive the car everyday. It's my daily. The headlights are spares I bought. I planned on replacing them anyway.
Just ordered an female to female antenna adapter and a metra window mount antenna.
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-44UA200-...sr=8-1-catcorr
I'll leave the stocker where it's at with a broken mast. Since it's ugly when the mast is on anyway
Also ordered hawk pads and brembo blanks for the front.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:54 PM

Got the other shroud on and jb welded. I cut a slit in there when cutting off the tab by accident. Doh! So mad, but whatever.

Next just gotta clean and put the lens back on and put them in the car.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:19 PM

looks good
you should buy a new sub
Old 01-31-2011, 06:07 PM

On the hunt for an amp to support your sub. Mine is only 400watts

This little dome light showed up today.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:40 PM

In for output pics. Where'd you get it? and how much did it cost?
Old 01-31-2011, 07:01 PM

I need to find another 7.5amp fuse, but I'll put it in tomorrow and get pics. I got it on ebay, less than $5 shipped.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:06 PM
Black Lion

Nice work so far. Im curious to see the light output using that bulb.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:32 PM

Not sure this pic does much for you, but it's actually really bright. Lights up the entire back seat area no problem. Can't get the full affect as I was in the parking garage at work. But it was well worth the wait (week or 2 for shipping) and $5 or less. I say get one!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The intake pipe is made by Weapon-R.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:32 PM

Wondering if there is anything I need from autozone. I have $20 credit with the rewards points. Anyone think of anything?
Old 02-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Addicted to the Org

Can you give us the sellers name on Ebay?
Old 02-01-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by maximized98
Can you give us the sellers name on Ebay?
$2 this is the one I bought. Might as well buy a few for some other cars lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_3553wt_1165
Old 02-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Addicted to the Org

Awesome. About to buy it. What have you done with the map lights?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:43 PM

no offense man.. but you're retro looks really messy. I was under the impression that projectors were supposed to be attached to the headlights via bolts?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by maximized98
Awesome. About to buy it. What have you done with the map lights?
Bought some off ebay and they blew the fuse. I think I got a bad one so they are sending me another one. It's nothing special, another $3 purchase on ebay.
Originally Posted by 99greddymax
no offense man.. but you're retro looks really messy. I was under the impression that projectors were supposed to be attached to the headlights via bolts?
None taken. I'm following the guide on vqpower.com
I would love to do bolts, but with these projectors and these headilghts you would see all the bolts and such and it would look terrible, unless you made your own shroud the size of the headlight or painted it all black.
Like I said it's my first attempt so it's not going to be perfect.
I tired to find all the retros done on this site and I didn't find much of anything at all really. All I found is people JB welding them in. I'm really not worried or could care less about how the back of them look. It's getting painted black and under the hood so it's not going to be seen. I'm more concerned with the light output.

Last edited by Gamble; 02-01-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 PM

Also I have to say my biggest gripe about this car is the interior lighting. That is why I went and did the LEDS for the inside. I wish it had foot lights but oh well. The dome light will help me out tons, but I use the map light even more. I decided I'll ask for a refund on the $2 bulb I bought. I need something that will point straight down. My brother bought a 24 panel led for his map light. Well that was $20-$25 and more than I wanted to spend on a map light. Although sometimes when I have mine on and can't find anything it's almost worth $20 to have more light.
I bought this guy for $6.87 and going to try it out. 12 led's and it will point straight down. I'm going to have to find a way to secure it in place, but some hot glue will work no problem.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_3714wt_1165

Being that it comes with these adapters it will also work for the doors and dome light and map light.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 PM

thts pretty nice,gonna get one right now
wel,after u try it out..lol
pics of output?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 AM

Will do. As soon as I get it.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:14 AM

i want LEDs in my interior so bad, but i'm not screwing with the wiring..ima get a quote from jess to do mine
Old 02-02-2011, 06:25 AM

Why, wiring is easy.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:28 AM

if i saw a detailed how to on doing LEDs id probably consider it on a saturday afternoon to do my lights...but i'm afraid of burning down my car lol
Old 02-02-2011, 07:31 AM

yeah at some point i shd change all my bulbs too...just too lazy and too much snow outside lol
Old 02-02-2011, 06:20 PM

Put together a headlight today. I put a small bead of silicone all the way around and used a torch to polish up the reflector and the lense and heat up the old silicone. Put it together and used a vice, clamp. What a paint in the *** getting that back together. It's a mess. Ugh. Once it dries I'll do the other.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:23 PM

Stupid intake pipe doesn't fit right.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 PM

Before

Parts needed

After

Buying a used intake pipe was a stupid idea. I got it for $25 then spent $10 on hoses and clamps. I could of gotten it all new for $30-$35 shipped to my door.
Eh whatever it's done. Started to work on the Y pipe. Ya that wasn't happening. Worked on 1 bolt by the cat for an hour. All the sockets were too big or too small. Knocked off all the rust and heated it up. No luck. Going to have to get the saw-zal tomorrow. Until then, nothing more.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:27 PM

pics look nice.
which y-pipe do u have btw?
Old 02-05-2011, 07:00 AM

Ebay one.
Does the Y pipe bolt up to the second cat or to that small pipe inbetween the 2 cats?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:38 AM

it goes exactly where the oem one goes
Old 02-05-2011, 12:36 PM

Oh boy, finally got under it today to get a way better look than last night. The bolts for the cat are rusted bad. So take 2 today. Got 5 bolts off for the headers and the last one came off with the stud. The back bolts are rusted so I cut them off. Moved over the o2 sensors and now it's break time.
If these bolts weren't rusted I can do this job in literally 25-30min.

Got one projector headlight installed and turned it on with a standard headlight bulb. OMG the light output was HORRIBLE. Literally it was about half of the regular headlight if not worse. Put in the HID kit and it's much much better. But I won't be able to tell until it's dark out. Maybe I'll end up with a 55watt kit. As that is the crowd favorite on the integra site.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:19 PM

Oh boy, finally got under it today to get a way better look than last night. The bolts for the cat are rusted bad. So take 2 today. Got 5 bolts off for the headers and the last one came off with the stud. The back bolts are rusted so I cut them off. Moved over the o2 sensors and now it's break time.
If these bolts weren't rusted I can do this job in literally 25-30min.

Got one projector headlight installed and turned it on with a standard headlight bulb. OMG the light output was HORRIBLE. Literally it was about half of the regular headlight if not worse. Put in the HID kit and it's much much better. But I won't be able to tell until it's dark out. Maybe I'll end up with a 55watt kit. As that is the crowd favorite on the integra site.
pics of the output
Old 02-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Addicted to the Org

I think once you drive around for a bit, you will see that the stock midpipe works better. I had a midpipe like yours and after a week I changed it back out. It seems that I had low end power loss.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:07 PM

Before

Parts needed

After

Buying a used intake pipe was a stupid idea. I got it for $25 then spent $10 on hoses and clamps. I could of gotten it all new for $30-$35 shipped to my door.
Eh whatever it's done. Started to work on the Y pipe. Ya that wasn't happening. Worked on 1 bolt by the cat for an hour. All the sockets were too big or too small. Knocked off all the rust and heated it up. No luck. Going to have to get the saw-zal tomorrow. Until then, nothing more.
Before was much better to me bro, and the filter was still getting air from the stock snorkel.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:26 PM

I'll try it out, now that I have what I need it's only 10minutes to change.
This ****ing Y pipe can suck my ********. What else could go wrong?
Rusted to **** bolts. Had to cut them off. Had to drill out the end on the stock cat back. Y pipe doens't fit right. Took it off and drilled out the bolt holes. Test fit again, no luck. Take it off and drill out the holes again. Kind of fits now. One of the nuts came out with the stud attached.
Pull out the other studs and one breaks at the last few threads nice and flat. WTF. Drill it out, put a tap in there. ****ing tap breaks in half. Cut it so it's flat and get an air hammer. Get it out. Bolt up the Y pipe. Rear bolts go in good now. I used new bolts.
Oh hey same problem on the front now. WTF

In the 10hours I have been doing this I got both headlights on, got the wiring correct. Got the HID kit in, new front grill, brembo rotor and hawk pads on 1 corner and been humping this Y pipe all day! Ugh. I don't want to be doing this **** on superbowl sunday.

Oh and FML I moved the a/c line out of the way, just barely moved it and now it's spraying freon all over. FML

Quick Reply: Gambles progress thread