4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help car won't start after trans install....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 04:26 PM

add a ground from the negative terminal to the bellhousing and itll fire right up...
+1

Thats what I did. U don't have to drop tranny again. I ran 0 gauge from batt neg to bell housing. Fired up like a champ.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:50 PM

ok guys, dropped the trans and the **** was filthy. i can't believe i didn't realize how much rust and oxidation there was on the mating surface. i sanded that and the engine mating surface down, reinstalled and it fired right up w/ no extra grounds.

on a side note- the trans i got from darius shifts fine but w/ the condition of the mating surfaces there was no way that this was in his car. if it was then it was left outside for a little while because if my car wouldn't fire up, his wouldn't either.

anyway, glad to have a car that drives again especially since its been like a 1 1/2 week process. obviously its not hard to drop the trans, but its time consuming when ur working by yourself outside in the elements.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:33 PM
4th Gen Parts King

Glad you got it fixed and did it the right way. There's far to many people that consider adding ground wires a permanent fix.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
That's not strictly true. having a bad ground could cause starting issues in terms of turning the motor over with the starter, but it's not a "definite" thing like you are making it sound. it might be his problem, or it might not.

I have had the trans out of my turbo maxima I think 6 different times. I have never, not one single time, sanded down any of the mating surfaces. the car has never had a starting issue after a transmission install. 6 for 6.

you're making it sound like sanding down of the surfaces is an absolute requirement. it's not.

it could very well be his problem (god knows bad grounding can cause a host of issues), but it's not a certainty.
fine, its not a definite thing. nothing is definite in this world. but its pretty damn near close to it so why not. and what do u know, it was his problem. as it is nearly 90% of people who dropped their tranny for the first time and come in here a post a thread saying "my car wont start." we have some like yourself who have NEVER had to sand theirs down, then you have some like myself who ALWAYS have to sand it down. EVERY time ive ever dropped a tranny. i always think ill be lucky this time, and i dont sand a tranny and this happens. gotta drop the tranny again. so ive made it a requirement in my own practice. so yeah...given his circumstance, car started fine before he dropped the tranny, he didnt touch anything else, now car wont start, id say it was pretty much a given imo.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima_Joe
Glad you got it fixed and did it the right way. There's far to many people that consider adding ground wires a permanent fix.

I do understand what you're saying. I myself however, would not install dirty parts onto my engine. I clean before and after installs. No filthy parts or anything of the like. I'm glad this guy got his max started though.

On a side note... In November my girl was car shopping and we looked at 2 used maximas. One was a 2001 and one was a 96. After seeing the very poor maintenance they received, we went with a 98 Accord. Some people on this forum need to buy the basic repair manual and do the basic steps. My comments and those of others are based upon those minimum steps being taken.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by i30dvr
ok well i'll let u guys know later this afternoon/evening. i don't understand if this doesn't fix it what the problem would be b/c when i pulled it in the garage to do that trans swap it started up every time perfect...
mine did too and it took me a month of calling nissan techs reading forums and spending all night in the garage before it decided to run again..and now my starters dead
Old 01-11-2011, 10:59 AM

Glad to hear u got the car running. U had one of those extreme cases where u had to drop the tranny again. U live and learn...
Old 01-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Glad he got it working but he probably lost the ground or the shield ground to the crankshaft position sensor. That is the only electrical item related to starting the car that is affected by removing the trans. There was no need to pull the trans out. You can get ground for that sensor almost anywhere on the car. The key is you need to run ground to the actual wires of the sensor. That is the only way you can be sure the sensor is grounded.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:51 PM

Having the same problem

Originally Posted by Nopike
Glad he got it working but he probably lost the ground or the shield ground to the crankshaft position sensor. That is the only electrical item related to starting the car that is affected by removing the trans. There was no need to pull the trans out. You can get ground for that sensor almost anywhere on the car. The key is you need to run ground to the actual wires of the sensor. That is the only way you can be sure the sensor is grounded.
I am trying to avoid dropping the tranny but I also think that I may have put some silicone when mating the tranny to the engine. This my be my problem as well.

Still trying to figure out why the bolts and the mated surfaces that do make contact don't create enough of a ground.

Does this issue cause the plugs not to fire? I tried testing the plugs through a spark plug wire tester and they don't seem to be getting a signal.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Nate