4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fuel Pump Kill Switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Fuel Pump Kill Switch

Im gonna be heading to college in the near future and figured it's a really good idea to invest in a kill switch. Better safe than sorry. The best place from what i understand is to wire it to the fuel pump power wire. Apparently it is black with a yellow stripe? Can anyone confirm that, and confirm where it is located?

Edit: I think I found it, is it bundled with the wires under the rear drivers seat?

Last edited by 95Maxed; 02-03-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by 95Maxed
Im gonna be heading to college in the near future and figured it's a really good idea to invest in a kill switch. Better safe than sorry. The best place from what i understand is to wire it to the fuel pump power wire. Apparently it is black with a yellow stripe? Can anyone confirm that, and confirm where it is located?
cant help you there but i do have this old school inhibitor i will let go for the cost of shipping

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...cs-inside.html
Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by luke95gxe
cant help you there but i do have this old school inhibitor i will let go for the cost of shipping

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...cs-inside.html
No thanks, I was looking for a standard flip switch I could wire to be hidden within arms reach, not a "lock and key" mechanism.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:57 PM

No thanks, I was looking for a standard flip switch I could wire to be hidden within arms reach, not a "lock and key" mechanism.
all good just rather see it go to someone that might be able to use it not tryin to make a buck its just sittin in the garage but i agree a hiddin kill switch is a good route to take
Old 02-03-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by luke95gxe
all good just rather see it go to someone that might be able to use it not tryin to make a buck its just sittin in the garage but i agree a hiddin kill switch is a good route to take
Yea, Im sure someone could find a use for it. Thanks anyways.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:56 PM

Just pull the fuse?? Or install the switch there lol.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:45 AM

does anyone know if these would work for such a switch..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...445+&viewitem=

or

http://www.amazon.com/Momentary-Rais.../dp/B001TL3XXA

whats the current rating is required for such an application?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:28 AM

Yes and no... but 'work' in this case is relative. I would not use either.

You cannot just go screwing with electrical systems in your car. They are designed very specifically for safety purposes. Since you had to ask, better not do it yourself IMO. That said... GL

First off if you put an inline switch you have to correctly rate the switch for the load needed. That latching switch would not hold 12+ amps. (You could always grab a multimeter and test it. I am going off my Z car.) A momentary switch, the second, would NOT work (at all) in the manner you asked. THIS IS NOT the correct way of setting up the desired circuit. Lastly bringing an outside line in, soldering, then back out is a PITA.

The correct way is to use the switch on the ignition side of the fuel pump relay. This will prevent you from having to use a high power switch inline... which would only be asking for problems. You can actually use either switch with this method. Latching to use when you chose, momentary every time you wanted to start the car.

Again, the fact that you had to ask would tell me that you do not have the experience to install this. In the case you do choose to: Solder all connection, use correct insulation and shrink wrap all points, use proper ga wire, and be safe.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Just pull the fuse?? Or install the switch there lol.
Pulling the fuse is a hassle and isnt as cool when you wanna start the car and you have friends with you haha. Seriously though, I think a switch is safer.

Originally Posted by adroitcaptor

You cannot just go screwing with electrical systems in your car. They are designed very specifically for safety purposes. Since you had to ask, better not do it yourself IMO. That said... GL

First off if you put an inline switch you have to correctly rate the switch for the load needed. That latching switch would not hold 12+ amps. (You could always grab a multimeter and test it. I am going off my Z car.) A momentary switch, the second, would NOT work (at all) in the manner you asked. THIS IS NOT the correct way of setting up the desired circuit. Lastly bringing an outside line in, soldering, then back out is a PITA.

The correct way is to use the switch on the ignition side of the fuel pump relay. This will prevent you from having to use a high power switch inline... which would only be asking for problems. You can actually use either switch with this method. Latching to use when you chose, momentary every time you wanted to start the car.

Again, the fact that you had to ask would tell me that you do not have the experience to install this. In the case you do choose to: Solder all connection, use correct insulation and shrink wrap all points, use proper ga wire, and be safe.
Um... was that aimed at me? B/c I only asked if the wire I found was the correct one....
Old 02-04-2011, 10:21 AM

I would use a rocker switch, not a pushbutton. GEt a switch rated for the same amperage or higher for the fuse. Jus splice the fuel pump wire and wire the switch in series. SHouldnt be a big deal.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:35 AM

Youre right, i dont have the experience.. I was hoping to find people that have done such a mod and are willing to pass on the experience to those who haven't.

Another concern i had was that someone had told me in case of a major accident the fuel gets cut off and adding a switch might now allow the automatic shutoff of the pump if you were in a really bad accident and the car was upside down leaking fuel or in similar situations!

Same kind of switch could be used to tie into the ignition switch??

That maybe a lil safer no? Anyway thanks for your input ..

Originally Posted by cashoit
I would use a rocker switch, not a pushbutton. GEt a switch rated for the same amperage or higher for the fuse. Jus splice the fuel pump wire and wire the switch in series. SHouldnt be a big deal.
I dont exactly know what you mean by in series but thanks for your input as well..
Old 02-04-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by 98MaximaDriver
Same kind of switch could be used to tie into the ignition switch??

That maybe a lil safer no? Anyway thanks for your input ..

I dont exactly know what you mean by in series but thanks for your input as well..
If it is done to the ignition wire, a thief has to open the steering wheel shaft cover (what ever its called lol) find the wire that looks tampered with, break the connection, and connect it themselves. Literally the kill switch would be disabled in seconds. You tie it to the fuel pump they'd have to remove the back seat...

Also by "in series" he means cut the wire, solder one side to a new wire, to a switch, then back to the other fuel wire. He means to say the circuit still continues as if nothing was tampered with.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:28 PM

Hey thanks for explaining i think i know what you mean..

With youre analogy it seems it would just be better to go with the fuel cut off but do our cars have some kind of auto fuel cut off that occurs when there is an accident??
Old 02-04-2011, 09:41 PM

98maximadriver - You already have a fuel cut-off relay (as it sounds you understand this). That being the case, all you are doing is adding an additional switch to that circuit. Instead of putting it on the fuel pump/engine side of that relay, you are putting it on the ignition side. Thus if the switch is not engaged no fuel pump/start.

I can draw you a picture if you want... not as an insult, I mean it literally. Or if you are looking for a different option I can help you with that also.

I think you should re-consider doing this. Just buy RKE with immobilizer. Bottom line, if someone wants your car bad enough they will get it switch or otherwise.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:04 PM

I think you should re-consider doing this. Just buy RKE with immobilizer. Bottom line, if someone wants your car bad enough they will get it switch or otherwise.
No reason to reconsider, I installed mine tonight. You literally cannot see the switch even when staring at it. It is very easy to flip on and off from the drivers seat and only someone who knows where it is can find it. ALL my wiring is hidden and the car does not run when the switch is flipped off.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:11 PM

Hey adroitcaptor thanks for the input ... I do realize that if someone really want your car they can take it or tow it or... But i do think layers of security is an option worth the trouble.. Plus ive always heard of people doing such a thing and always wanted to do so myself.

What are the cons to such an approach?? Cant hurt eh..

and oh yeah.. a picture is worth a thousand words so if you are up to it..

Especially detailing the part where you said:

"The correct way is to use the switch on the ignition side of the fuel pump relay. This will prevent you from having to use a high power switch inline... which would only be asking for problems. You can actually use either switch with this method."

No reason to reconsider, I installed mine tonight. You literally cannot see the switch even when staring at it. It is very easy to flip on and off from the drivers seat and only someone who knows where it is can find it. ALL my wiring is hidden and the car does not run when the switch is flipped off.

You got pictures? lol

Make like phmor and bust out some vidz!!

Oh and what gauge wire you use? and what you use for insulation? Did you shrink wrap!

Last edited by 98MaximaDriver; 02-04-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:19 PM

Well I dont wanna say where I placed the switch lol, that would defeat the purpose. But you do this.

1. Remove rear seat bottom.
2. Find bundled wires that lead to center of middle seat.
3. Slice Bundle.
4. Find Black and Yellow wire and cut it.
5. Solder 2 wires to a on off switch and solder the other ends of the wires to the Black and Yellow wire.

(obviously you would run the wires before soldering anything.)
I had run my wires under the carpet, and used an exacto knife to slice a small exit hole for me to continue the wires to their desired place. All in all, it took about an hour, but that was going slow.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:25 PM

LoL @ "Well I dont wanna say where I placed the switch"

what gauge wires you use? and what current rating for your switch!

Did you do it all proper with insulation and shrink wrapping!?

And thanks for saying the color or the wire to cut.. "black and yellow"

I wanna see what adroitcaptor has to say about using the switch on the ignition side of the fuel pump relay.. i dunno what he mean by that!

Last edited by 98MaximaDriver; 02-04-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:28 PM

LoL @ "Well I dont wanna say where I placed the switch"

what gauge wires you use? and what current rating for your switch!

Did you do it all proper with insulation and shrink wrapping!?

And thanks for saying the color or the wire to cut.. "black and yellow"
16 gauge wire, found at my local hobby store for .10 cents a foot.

I used a 20 amp switch I think.

Yes, I heat wrapped the connections, and zip tied the wires down. It would look stock to anyone who didnt know.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:32 PM

good deal.. 16 gauge and 20 amp..

Ive gotta look at the fuse for the pump and see what amp it is..
Old 02-04-2011, 10:36 PM

good deal.. 16 gauge and 20 amp..

Ive gotta look at the fuse for the pump and see what amp it is..
Its no more than 5 amps probably. I asked the guy at the hobby store and he said that 16 gauge and a 20 amp switch would be fine. I also had searched the forums and came up with the same answer.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:50 AM

I would wire one into the clutch position sensor that would normally not allow you to start the car if the clutch was not depressed. If you wire into this, the car won't start because it doesn't see the clutch as depressed.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:54 PM

I like your idea man..
Old 02-05-2011, 01:15 PM

kill it
Old 02-05-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by ampire
I would wire one into the clutch position sensor that would normally not allow you to start the car if the clutch was not depressed. If you wire into this, the car won't start because it doesn't see the clutch as depressed.
Im an autotragic... lol
Old 12-22-2011, 10:36 PM

from post #8: i agree that the low voltage side is the place to put your switch but the poster seems to say that a momentary switch can be used if on this relay coil side of the circuit but this would mean that the fuel pump relay is latching (ie stays on once activated) is this the case? i mean, is the fuel pump relay latching and you can use a momentary switch on this low voltage coil side of the circuit?
thanks
Old 12-27-2011, 11:31 PM

just an update: you need a constant on/off switch; a momentary switch won't work on the coil side of the fuel pump relay.