4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2.25 or 2.5 exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:02 AM

The cross sectional area of a pipe is radius squared times Pi. I will do the math

2.25" pipe has a little more than 25% more area than a 2" pipe. (26.5%)
2.5" pipe has a little more than 50% more area than a 2" pipe. (56.25%)
3" Pipe has 125% more area than a 2" Pipe.

I currently need a new cat back exhaust, my original rusty I30 muffler is peeling a away like an onion and had developed a small leak that imagine is only going to get worse.

I have been trying to research exhaust, it seems like catback exhaust gains are minimal. I am wonder if since I have an 00VI and Y-Pipe if I will see any gain when I replace the exhaust.

Last edited by dgoodhue; 02-21-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:58 PM

personaly i have 2.5 exhaust system
monza pacesetter
Old 03-08-2011, 09:03 PM

Sorry to resurrect (SP?) an old thread but I just wanted to update anyone that was intrested, I ordered all my 3" pipes that I will need and I decided to rid myself of the cat, so it's going to be straight 3" from the y back. Also, I am going to be getting a different y pipe. I will post pix as the stuff comes.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by maxispeed
Sorry to resurrect (SP?) an old thread but I just wanted to update anyone that was intrested, I ordered all my 3" pipes that I will need and I decided to rid myself of the cat, so it's going to be straight 3" from the y back. Also, I am going to be getting a different y pipe. I will post pix as the stuff comes.
No resonator nor muffler, just pipe?????? Wowwww get your ear plugs ready!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
go big or go home
Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by msjam22
personaly i have 2.5 exhaust system
monza pacesetter
That's 2.25" buddy!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:16 PM

Yea sorry lol. I have a test pipe, 24.5" long resonator, and a muffler with an adjustable silencer. I ment to say it's 3" all the way through instead of just the cat back. I should have cleared that up. Sorry
Old 03-08-2011, 10:31 PM

Wow!!!! Will this be a multi-flanged, 2 or 3 piece exhaust system ? Or a 1 piece all welded together system? Stainless or Aluminized? Can't wait to see your pics!!!!!!!

Here's my 3rd Gen 2.5" catback

Last edited by CMax03; 03-08-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:40 PM

Probably one piece minus the flange connecting the test pipe to the y pipe
Old 03-09-2011, 06:24 AM

Probably one piece minus the flange connecting the test pipe to the y pipe
You should have a flange or slip joint just in case you ever need to remove it for maintenance or sell it/ship it......
Old 03-09-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by dgoodhue
The cross sectional area of a pipe is radius squared times Pi. I will do the math

2.25" pipe has a little more than 25% more area than a 2" pipe. (26.5%)
2.5" pipe has a little more than 50% more area than a 2" pipe. (56.25%)
3" Pipe has 125% more area than a 2" Pipe.

I currently need a new cat back exhaust, my original rusty I30 muffler is peeling a away like an onion and had developed a small leak that imagine is only going to get worse.

I have been trying to research exhaust, it seems like catback exhaust gains are minimal. I am wonder if since I have an 00VI and Y-Pipe if I will see any gain when I replace the exhaust.
U will see a lil improvement up top. nothing down low. If you go bigger pipe u will lose low end.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
U will see a lil improvement up top. nothing down low. If you go bigger pipe u will lose low end.
Proof?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:32 AM

Name:  EjsYs.png
Views: 32
Size:  39.7 KB
Originally Posted by aackshun
Proof?
This.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:03 PM

You should have a flange or slip joint just in case you ever need to remove it for maintenance or sell it/ship it......
Yea, thats true. Ill talk to the shop once Im in there and see where to put them. I hate waiting for parts! I cant take the suspence
Old 03-10-2011, 06:36 PM

Got my bends today. Should be getting the res, test pipe, and exhaust tomorrow. Figured I'd upload the bends. I never thought I's be so happy to see pipes lol. They came with some kinda wierd slippery stuff on them, had to wipe them down before taking pix

45s

90s

Opening
Old 03-10-2011, 06:59 PM

yea i got a 2.5in megan cat back and it didnt kill torque at all, it defintly shows a little more power.. go with 2.5. My brother just bought a muffler for his 4th gen and mineke did a 2.25 mandrel bend, so if you do go 2.25, mandrel bend will have no resonators like catbacks have, which may lag more.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:58 PM

The existence of resonators in exhausts/catbacks do not depend on the size of the piping you use. Blame the installer and/or owner if they don't have a resonator, not the size of the piping.

What does the lack of a resonator have to do with lag?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
The existence of resonators in exhausts/catbacks do not depend on the size of the piping you use. Blame the installer and/or owner if they don't have a resonator, not the size of the piping.

What does the lack of a resonator have to do with lag?
Maybe he's comparing mandrel and crush bends? either way idk where the lag is coming from?
Old 03-11-2011, 12:06 PM

Proof?
Proof? All i got is butt dynos lol.

but are u guys saying im wrong? bigger pipe means lower exhaust velocity in the low rpm.

And hey, im not saying to not get the larger pipe. Its all about the top end anyway. There is plenty of low end on these cars for everyday driving.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:17 PM

comparing a welded mandrel bend with a bolt on system made for the car, bolt ons usually have resonators in the piping which is not as effective as a striaght pipe..
Old 03-11-2011, 12:43 PM

Proof? All i got is butt dynos lol.

but are u guys saying im wrong? bigger pipe means lower exhaust velocity in the low rpm.

And hey, im not saying to not get the larger pipe. Its all about the top end anyway. There is plenty of low end on these cars for everyday driving.
So you butt dynoed a 3" exhaust and concluded that the low end power was worse than before? Or are you basing your opinion off of your statement that 'bigger pipe means lower exhaust velocity in the low rpm. '
Old 03-11-2011, 01:10 PM

So you butt dynoed a 3" exhaust and concluded that the low end power was worse than before? Or are you basing your opinion off of your statement that 'bigger pipe means lower exhaust velocity in the low rpm. '
I dont have the 3" so i cant and wont speak on it. If the 3" guys say its the same or better down low then i wd be a lil skeptical but u guys have the equipment so u tell us how the car responds.

I gave my opinion solely based on the fact flow = velocity x cross sectional area. The flow curve is exactly that, a curve so there is a point here u have optimum exit velocity for 3" pipe. That could be at 5000 rpm or 4000 rpm or even 3000 rpm. I would be very surprised if that point was any lower than 3000 rpm. Which means the engine is actually working harder at these lower RPMs. Also if that point was so low then Nissan would have supplied a bigger diameter stock pipe, like larger truck engines have.

Again, the max has enough low end power for everday use even with bigger exhaust piping. AND u make up for the loss with the increased HP up top. THats why, in the end, its actually worth it gettin the 3", if u are looking to get every ounce of power out of your car. But this only for some cars. I think a small 4cyl engine would lose power if it was using 3" piping. THe car jus doesnt produce enough exhaust gas to warrant 3". But maybe a large 4cyl could? Idk. You wd have to meausre the exhaust velocity across the entire RPM band to make an informed decision.

And like always, Who needs low end torque if u cant even put most of it to the front 2 wheels. Burnouts and low end is for drag racing.

If anyone is looking to get the most HP out of the car then they shd jus get 3" piping. The next best thing is to get 2.5" piping. This is assuming, the goal is to get the most HP out of the car.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 PM

I have a 3" on my 2003 and It's not quite as linear response wise as the OEM system with throttle inputs in the first 1/4"-1/2" of accelerator pedal movement...but for damn sure 1/2" to WOT is A KILLER!!!!! The low range rpm is no slouch.....but 3K on up is like an orgasmic event....I can usually leave a stop sign like an old lady and roll into the throttle (that's not flooring it either!!!) and break the tires loose just before the 1-2 gear change with an A/T.... It never did that before with the 2.5" Cattman and definitely not with the 2" OEM (Choker)!!!!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:40 PM

I know I'm really impressed with Aaron's beast and it's 3" Cattman....That guy is shredding his tires in 1st, 2nd and not just chirping in 3rd but loosing traction.....Yes there's alot of Mid to upper Rpm power gain but low rpm driveability is still awesome and increasing your intake tract size (dia.) from the filter>MAF>TB will make it even more responsive.....Remember the Intake valve is always bigger than the exhaust valve.....
Old 03-11-2011, 06:05 PM

Got everything today, will post up pix of everything when I get home. The muffler is HUGE! lol
Old 03-11-2011, 08:26 PM

Resonator and Muffler. OBX

Test Pipe

Resonator

Muffler and Adjustable Silencer

All Together

Fisting!!

Quick Mock Up
Old 03-11-2011, 08:35 PM

definitely shallow fisting.....go to the dang elbow dude!!!!
Old 03-11-2011, 08:41 PM

Shes still new, I have to warm her up lmao
Old 03-11-2011, 09:23 PM

I dont have the 3" so i cant and wont speak on it. If the 3" guys say its the same or better down low then i wd be a lil skeptical but u guys have the equipment so u tell us how the car responds.

I gave my opinion solely based on the fact flow = velocity x cross sectional area. The flow curve is exactly that, a curve so there is a point here u have optimum exit velocity for 3" pipe. That could be at 5000 rpm or 4000 rpm or even 3000 rpm. I would be very surprised if that point was any lower than 3000 rpm. Which means the engine is actually working harder at these lower RPMs. Also if that point was so low then Nissan would have supplied a bigger diameter stock pipe, like larger truck engines have.

Again, the max has enough low end power for everday use even with bigger exhaust piping. AND u make up for the loss with the increased HP up top. THats why, in the end, its actually worth it gettin the 3", if u are looking to get every ounce of power out of your car. But this only for some cars. I think a small 4cyl engine would lose power if it was using 3" piping. THe car jus doesnt produce enough exhaust gas to warrant 3". But maybe a large 4cyl could? Idk. You wd have to meausre the exhaust velocity across the entire RPM band to make an informed decision.

And like always, Who needs low end torque if u cant even put most of it to the front 2 wheels. Burnouts and low end is for drag racing.

If anyone is looking to get the most HP out of the car then they shd jus get 3" piping. The next best thing is to get 2.5" piping. This is assuming, the goal is to get the most HP out of the car.
It goes like this manggggg, I had 3 setups in the last 6 months.

Leaking y-pipe+stock cat.

Leaking Y-pipe+3" Catback

OBX 3.5 Headers+3" Catback.

All 3 had tq down low (or so I thought at the time), each step up I gained more low end, to the point where shifting @ 2k is almost more than enough to keep up with traffic, also cash I'd like to see a dyno with a 2.5" putting down more tq than me before 3k, then I can give your argument some weight.

Now if you were following the 3" thread on the 5th gen forum, you would realise cmax03 was taking the EXACT same postion you were, even after dyno's were posted, because his theory was that even though @ WOT the car is obviously making more power @ all rpms, CMax was thinking that part throttle would be affected the most, and he is concerned more about part throttle response than wot because he doesn't drive his own maxima that much anymore , mostly the fam drives his, so part throttle response couldn't lag one bit behind stock or he'd hear complaints. For him to back the 3" means a lot more than you think.

Sidenote: the reason why I call it the leaky Y is because after many complaints and compliments, my car certainly did not perform like your everyday I/Y maxima, and I've just resorted to calling it the "Leaky Y Setup" cause it's done quite a few things I/Y maximas shouldn't have....

I have a 3" on my 2003 and It's not quite as linear response wise as the OEM system with throttle inputs in the first 1/4"-1/2" of accelerator pedal movement...but for damn sure 1/2" to WOT is A KILLER!!!!! The low range rpm is no slouch.....but 3K on up is like an orgasmic event....I can usually leave a stop sign like an old lady and roll into the throttle (that's not flooring it either!!!) and break the tires loose just before the 1-2 gear change with an A/T.... It never did that before with the 2.5" Cattman and definitely not with the 2" OEM (Choker)!!!!
I know I'm really impressed with Aaron's beast and it's 3" Cattman....That guy is shredding his tires in 1st, 2nd and not just chirping in 3rd but loosing traction.....Yes there's alot of Mid to upper Rpm power gain but low rpm driveability is still awesome and increasing your intake tract size (dia.) from the filter>MAF>TB will make it even more responsive.....Remember the Intake valve is always bigger than the exhaust valve.....
Always glad to hear reviews from crazy carlton, your max aint no joke either! That's definitely one of the 3.5 autos I dream to keep up with, I hope you can take it to the track on the 16th, I hope my extra 2 gears can make that dream happen.

Got everything today, will post up pix of everything when I get home. The muffler is HUGE! lol
How much is this costing you? Keep us up to date w/ prices!

Last edited by aackshun; 03-11-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:36 PM

All the piping thus far has cost alittle more then $200. I should be getting a 2.5 ypipe for $40 but have to fix the flex pipe. At the end of it all, I should be paying less or just as much as the cattman catback with alot more mods.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:39 PM

All the piping thus far has cost alittle more then $200. I should be getting a 2.5 ypipe for $40 but have to fix the flex pipe. At the end of it all, I should be paying less or just as much as the cattman catback with alot more mods.
You my friend are doing it right, saving money is where it's @.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:15 AM

All 3 had tq down low (or so I thought at the time), each step up I gained more low end, to the point where shifting @ 2k is almost more than enough to keep up with traffic, also cash I'd like to see a dyno with a 2.5" putting down more tq than me before 3k, then I can give your argument some weight.
You should look into a 3" ypipe if you thought the low end was nice with the 3" exhaust
You my friend are doing it right, saving money is where it's @.
Agreed, looks like a set of altima headers would go great with this budget setup.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:14 AM

I'm curious whether the piping is Stainless steel or aluminized steel?
Old 03-12-2011, 12:23 PM

@aackshun, thanks man. It took me a while to do all my research and money balancing to figure out the least expensive way

@shmelly, I assume you mean the 3.5 Altima. What kinda benefits would that have?

@CMax, the test pipe, muffler, and resonator are 309 SS. And the pipes are 409 SS.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:01 PM

Yes, the generic 3.5 Altima headers. They are nearly identical to the Hotshot headers that a number of people consider as the best headers, if not one of the best available for the maxima. They are very affordable if you can find someone to make you a custom y pipe and relocate a flange or two for a reasonable price. Heres my thread on these headers: http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/6...-knockoff.html
Old 03-12-2011, 03:42 PM

Would I be able to turbo with those headers?
Old 03-12-2011, 05:00 PM

Yes, 95BLKMAX did a RMT setup with these headers.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:51 PM

From the looks of the fabrication it looked like it lost more power than it gained!
Old 03-12-2011, 09:00 PM

Are you talking about my headers?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:35 AM

Are you talking about my headers?
I'm referring to those Altima headers and that ypipe in the pic....if it's your's sorry but it was alot of kinked bends and that merge looked like a power robber......sorry guy, just stating my opinion.....

Quick Reply: 2.25 or 2.5 exhaust?