4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cali Spec 99 Maxima Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:26 PM

Cali Spec 99 Maxima Question(s)

I have a 99 SE-L Cali spec, and currently I'm throwing a swirl valve code because the previous owner of the car installed a MEVI. My question is, is it possible to keep the MEVI and/or install an 00VI without throwing a code? I remember the previous owner saying that all I would have to do is find a cali spec LIM? Idk if there's any truth to this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:49 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Do you still have the swirl valves on your car? There is no need to remove them and they dont get in the way of the MEVI. What exactly did the previous owner do? I bet he used the solenoid and vacuum can to power the vi. No? I suppose if he was in the engine that far and wanted to swap the LIM for a Fed spec he may have. I still think you can fool the ecu with out the valves in place.

The Cali DEK has swirl valves so you could swap both the upper and lower and hook the swirl valves back up.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
Do you still have the swirl valves on your car? There is no need to remove them and they dont get in the way of the MEVI. What exactly did the previous owner do? I bet he used the solenoid and vacuum can to power the vi. No? I suppose if he was in the engine that far and wanted to swap the LIM for a Fed spec he may have. I still think you can fool the ecu with out the valves in place.

The Cali DEK has swirl valves so you could swap both the upper and lower and hook the swirl valves back up.
I'm not sure what he did, but I think he did swap it for a fed spec LIM. He told me before I bought the car that all I would need to do is find a cali spec LIM and just put it in, but I wasn't sure if that would mess with the MEVI or not. And how exactly could I fool the ECU?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Its been awhile since I have worked on a 99 cali so dont hold me to it if it doesnt work.

Its a vacuum operated system with a solenoid. I would think if the solenoid is hooked up and functioning, the ecu would never know if the valves were actually moving.

When installing an MEVI you can steal the vacuum setup and solenoid from the swirl valves to run the VI. That may have been done too.

Got a pic of your engine?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
Its been awhile since I have worked on a 99 cali so dont hold me to it if it doesnt work.

Its a vacuum operated system with a solenoid. I would think if the solenoid is hooked up and functioning, the ecu would never know if the valves were actually moving.

When installing an MEVI you can steal the vacuum setup and solenoid from the swirl valves to run the VI. That may have been done too.

Got a pic of your engine?
Not atm I don't no, I just got home from work but tomorrow morning before my class I'll try and snap a couple pictures of it.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:16 AM

Anyone have a final word on this? I also have a 99.5 that I wanted to do the 00vi swap in, but don't wanna deal with any codes or CELs.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2011, 02:51 AM

I currently own the car and there are no codes for that stored anymore...
Old 08-20-2011, 08:42 PM

Did you have to do anything to prevent it from throwing a code?