4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Changed the solenoid switch, it won't start again

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:50 AM

Changed the solenoid switch, it won't start again

Hey guys, I posted a question a few weeks ago about starter: starter can't start unless struck with wrench. I thought it might be the solenoid switch after reading the replies. So I got a solenoid switch and put it on this morning.

It still does not start smoothly, I had to struck it again to start the engine. Then I drove to school. When I was leaving, I couldn't start it any more, no matter how hard I struck it. What's the problem now? the whole starter is gone? or the fuse was blown(some people mentioned the blown fuse here)? How do I make sure it's the fuse? by scanning the code?

any input is appreciated!

Last edited by kisas; 02-22-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by kisas
Hey guys, I posted a question a few weeks ago about starter: starter can't start unless struck with wrench. I thought it might be the solenoid switch after reading the replies. So I got a solenoid switch and put it on this morning.

It still does not start smoothly, I had to struck it again to start the engine. Then I drove to school. When I was leaving, I couldn't start it any more, no matter how hard I struck it. What's the problem now? the whole starter is gone? or the fuse was blown(some people mentioned the blown fuse here)? How do I make sure it's the fuse? by scanning the code?

any input is appreciated!
A test light. test both sides of the fuse to ground. Sounds like the starter is toast.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:54 PM

I beleive that the starter motor itself if the problem. The brushes are either worn or sticking and cannot make contact with the communtator. Fuse H under the hood by the battery is the one that powers the solenoid. There is no fuse/fusable link for the starter motor. When you tapped the starter and it worked, that means you did not have a blown fuse.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:27 PM

Thanks. That's what I thought, just went to Advance Auto picked up one. going to install it this evening or tomorrow.

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I beleive that the starter motor itself if the problem. The brushes are either worn or sticking and cannot make contact with the communtator. Fuse H under the hood by the battery is the one that powers the solenoid. There is no fuse/fusable link for the starter motor. When you tapped the starter and it worked, that means you did not have a blown fuse.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:04 PM

put in the new starter yesterday. It took me only half an hour, never thought it's so easy. It starts immediately! For people who hesitate to buy stuffs from Advance Auto Parts, their stuffs are not that bad, at least the starter is very good. just be sure to ask people there to test the starter for you, before you go back and put it on your car. by the way, the price is good, about 70 bucks after 30 off if you buy online and pick up in store.

Thanks for the help I get here.