4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maximas can't do donuts.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by silencecalls
Huzzah! I started a flaming thread. Now i'm going to go off topic and talk for a second how about half the people just turn their brains off and don't think beyond the obvious.

This thread was never about going out and spinning in circles because it's "cooL" or "FuN" or how it isn't because it can't be done.

It's primary goal was an inquiry in the handling capabilities of our particular model of a car. aackshun for example was one of those that contributed in a constructive way that shed some light on the issue. Primarily that in this case it's not necessarily the car but possibly lack of skill

Re: cashoit Yes, getting the tail out is not hard, while it _is_ harder to drift a FWD around a corner then a RWD a right hit on the handbrake can induce enough oversteer to counter the understeer. My main concern so far was getting the car to do at least a 180.

For some reason no matter what I tried the car would not rotate past 90 deg and would just slide sideways no matter which way the wheels pointed (in neutral, so they were free spinning)

P.S. Ricer: (1) A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to):etc....
(2) Any oriental import car that has been modified for no real performance gain.

As such I resent being called a ricer.I strive to be the opposite. To make my car as stock as possible on the outside, preferring to do any and all mods on the powertrain/suspension to make my car a better driving machine within a reasonable budget. Though I'm not against stroking and SCing the engine. a VQ32DE with a SC would be a sight. =)
What are you talking about? Burning out, trying to do donuts, and all that stupid **** is ricey to me because thats exactly what ricers do after they mod their cars in the most cheesy and retarded way possible.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Got Retrofit?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:13 AM

There's so much fail here.

2000 Maxima King, you made your point. Either A. move on, or B. contribute, stop trying to force your narrowminded ideals on us.

silencecalls, are you ebraking? It's very easy to do it with the ebrake no matter what weather conditions, I tend to overspin the car if it's wet outside with the ebrake, so I don't use it unless it's dry outside.

It's literally goes like this, if you're manual, stay in 1st, engine decelleration will take care of braking, I haven't done this in an auto (in gymkhana anyways, i've done the wee look at me parking lot donut but I always came to a stop in those cars) and experienced the engine braking but it should be the same, just make sure you're in D1 or L (whatever it is on these cars).

Realize while reading this list, it takes longer to read it then do it.

Gain speed,
begin turn,
off throttle completely,
lock steering wheel to the side,
accelerate (not floor it, but you got to modulate the throttle)
at the moment of understeer yank e-brake then RELEASE IT (timing of this is crucial for your exit, i'd suggest working around 2-3 seconds) before you reach the point your started your spin (keep your finger on the button).
Continue accelerating

You've just done a 180 or a 360 depending your entry speed and ebrake-ing. And you should be ready to attack another corner too! Cause you're already on the throttle! Well that's the only reason why I do donuts in my car... For competition lol.

If your car is a MT, then I suggest tightening up your ebrake back within Factory spec, because I'm sure after all of it's years of use it's loose.

Last edited by aackshun; 03-02-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:14 PM

Siggghh to the day when i get on the org and real car talk is being talked about. It usually is something like "whats an o2 sensor" or "car wont start". Should be something like, i figured out a way to camber the rear end of a maxima or im figuring out a independent rear end setup for my maxima. I have mostly no intrest in all of these pointless threads. lol
Old 03-05-2011, 12:15 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwjvapi6_cc
Old 03-05-2011, 12:17 AM

^
that was about 3 years ago in my 1st maxima...i did a crap load of donuts, and my freind recorded only the last part
Old 03-05-2011, 01:53 AM

RE:aackshun Thanks for the info. I'll toss up a bunch of cones try it at a P-lot next time it's nice and wet. I'll see if I can get it to 360. My goal is to be able to 180 within the width of a two-three lane road, in case of needed to do an emergency manouver.

RE: Maximum-Maxima Fine then. =) now while a few degrees of negative camber would be benefitial in handling through corners, it would wreck havoc on tire wear, nor would it help at all in getting the rear end loose. What would help would probably be uping the load rating on the rear springs to keep less weight off of rear tires. Now when time comes to doing suspention work I'll let you know to chime in to the thread I make about car handling after suspension work. Sounds good?

RE: whiteSE thanks for the video but it doesn't help much. =( for one, that was't really a spin within a straight line, two it was on trays so doesn't really mimic real life conditions, and three my god those tires probably only lasted a very short time!

Last edited by silencecalls; 03-05-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:08 AM

aackshun cmon bro you know as much as I do that if we are not supposed to post about street racing then dumb**** like this is obviously not appropriate. Btw I'm not narrow minded at all, far from it IDK how you came up with that conclusion
Old 03-05-2011, 03:09 AM

Dumb thread!
TOO many stupid people posting lately!

I wasn't going to post until the OP tried to make this nonsense into something 'intelligent.' LOL

“handling capabilities:”
If I pick up a yard tool and ‘handle it’ that does not include throwing it. Nor should I use the wrong end of a shovel (the handle) to dig a hole. Anyone doing donuts in a maxima [or trying] is just plain dumb. Yes I have been that guy. The difference between you and me - I have never lied to myself or others about how dumb I was.
‘Handling’ in a FWD car does not, and never will, equate to the back end swinging around the front. (The only exception being rally racing, or the like, where the apex is tighter than your turning radius.) A proper 4 wheel drift is the perfect execution of an apex; white, yellow, white.

/Agree with the dog+worms! LOLOL
Your definition of a ricer conveniently lacks your inclusion sir. I suggest a ninja post edit.
The people down in the “Bay,” please concede to the liberal’s Darwinistic idealism. Your presents in this world is not appreciated.

Why would you put your car in neutral?
If in the snow/ice you must insure that you have enough grip for initial turn it. Set your suspension one direction and then counter-steer to the opposite. (This utilizes the ‘slack’ in your vehicle to your advantage.)Yank the ebrake just before your axial grip begins to diminish. Keep the front tires rotating throughout this process (usually half to full throttle). Steer accordingly and manipulate the throttle to keep angular momentum. You have just executed a in-the-snow FWD ‘drift.’ Please park, turn off, and exit your vehicle. Slap yourself across the face and continue your day respectively.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
Me too WTF
Well, I think the 4th gens can. Ours can't. =(
Old 03-05-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Maximum-Maxima
I have mostly no intrest in all of these pointless threads. lol
And then you post in one... Your lack of interest has been noted.

aackshun cmon bro you know as much as I do that if we are not supposed to post about street racing then dumb**** like this is obviously not appropriate. Btw I'm not narrow minded at all, far from it IDK how you came up with that conclusion
Where did I ever post about street racing? I did not know this thread was about street racing, maybe some wreckless endagerment on the OP's part but I compete with my silly ricer skills, and win $ for being a ricer (not much but $75 is something).

Dunno, you immediately jumped on the bandwagon of maximas not being able to do them.... EG. Narrowminded orger.
aackshun Thanks for the info. I'll toss up a bunch of cones try it at a P-lot next time it's nice and wet. I'll see if I can get it to 360. My goal is to be able to 180 within the width of a two-three lane road, in case of needed to do an emergency manouver.

RE: Maximum-Maxima Fine then. =) now while a few degrees of negative camber would be benefitial in handling through corners, it would wreck havoc on tire wear, nor would it help at all in getting the rear end loose. What would help would probably be uping the load rating on the rear springs to keep less weight off of rear tires. Now when time comes to doing suspention work I'll let you know to chime in to the thread I make about car handling after suspension work. Sounds good?
I'm just over two lanes, maybe on a good day I can keep it within a 16ft diameter.

Dropping the car can add rear neg camber, my alignment comes out to -1.5f/-1.2r, I used camber bolts to add camber to the front, maybe that's where my magical tail spinning powers come from? Never autox/gymkhana'd a completely stock suspension before.... Only thing I got goin for me is, ES bushings on the LCAs & Sway bars, Dropzone Springs and Eibach Camber bolts.

Originally Posted by adroitcaptor
Dumb thread!
TOO many stupid people posting lately!

I wasn't going to post until the OP tried to make this nonsense into something 'intelligent.' LOL

“handling capabilities:”
If I pick up a yard tool and ‘handle it’ that does not include throwing it. Nor should I use the wrong end of a shovel (the handle) to dig a hole. Anyone doing donuts in a maxima [or trying] is just plain dumb. Yes I have been that guy. The difference between you and me - I have never lied to myself or others about how dumb I was.

What does this have to do with the topic at hand?

‘Handling’ in a FWD car does not, and never will, equate to the back end swinging around the front. (The only exception being rally racing, or the like, where the apex is tighter than your turning radius.) A proper 4 wheel drift is the perfect execution of an apex; white, yellow, white.

Are you trying to say FWD cars can't handle? Or they can't oversteer? Sure in the big picture of things the Maxima falls short but there are FWD cars that can put a lot of RWD cars to shame stock for stock. Are you trying to say Maximas can't oversteer? Or FWD cars can't oversteer? Im a tad bit lost here, either case you're very wrong, and under the right throttle patterns the backend WILL come out on these cars wet or dry.

Why would you put your car in neutral?
If in the snow/ice you must insure that you have enough grip for initial turn it. Set your suspension one direction and then counter-steer to the opposite. (This utilizes the ‘slack’ in your vehicle to your advantage.)Yank the ebrake just before your axial grip begins to diminish. Keep the front tires rotating throughout this process (usually half to full throttle). Steer accordingly and manipulate the throttle to keep angular momentum. You have just executed a in-the-snow FWD ‘drift.’ Please park, turn off, and exit your vehicle. Slap yourself across the face and continue your day respectively.

Not talking about "drifting", talking about completing a 180/360 here dude...
Just some videos of silly ricing around....

But hey, we're just silly ricers who want to look cool

Last edited by aackshun; 03-05-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:43 AM

it only hurts your car
Old 03-05-2011, 11:39 AM

So much fail in this thread.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:51 PM

Man there is a lot of pompous ****** in this thread with their nose up real high ..

"oh this thread is stupid.." "dumb thread" "pointless thread"

(and i was gonna post in it because well you know, i didnt want to look stupid either but here goes...)

WTF... if you think the thread is stupid WHY ARE YOU POSTING IN IT!

A lot of people here at the org are lighthearted, helpful and constructive when posting.. even funny!! but some people just go around trying to chop people down at every chance they get..

Instead of posting direct or indirect insults like : like stupid, moron, brain dead.. or whatever else people have called the OP for starting this thread.

IF THE POST DOESN'T INTEREST YOU !! DON'T POST IN IT!
IF YOU THINK ITS STUPID OR BENEATH YOU!! DON'T POST IN IT!!!

Take your grey poupon and your pocket protector somewhere else and kick rocks, get to steppin, dont let the door hit you where the good lord split you!!!!!

Lighthearted/funniest post in thread:

Originally Posted by beegeezy
This made me ...I got a ticket in high school for doing donuts in the parking lot after school. (empty lot) My sister came up to me when she saw the cop giving me a ticket and said "but I thought cops liked donuts?"

Best constructive post in this thread :

Originally Posted by aackshun

It's literally goes like this, if you're manual, stay in 1st, engine decelleration will take care of braking, I haven't done this in an auto (in gymkhana anyways, i've done the wee look at me parking lot donut but I always came to a stop in those cars) and experienced the engine braking but it should be the same, just make sure you're in D1 or L (whatever it is on these cars).

Realize while reading this list, it takes longer to read it then do it.

Gain speed,
begin turn,
off throttle completely,
lock steering wheel to the side,
accelerate (not floor it, but you got to modulate the throttle)
at the moment of understeer yank e-brake then RELEASE IT (timing of this is crucial for your exit, i'd suggest working around 2-3 seconds) before you reach the point your started your spin (keep your finger on the button).
Continue accelerating

You've just done a 180 or a 360 depending your entry speed and ebrake-ing. And you should be ready to attack another corner too! Cause you're already on the throttle! Well that's the only reason why I do donuts in my car... For competition lol.

If your car is a MT, then I suggest tightening up your ebrake back within Factory spec, because I'm sure after all of it's years of use it's loose.

aackshun, that video of the mini was real nice too by the way!
Old 03-05-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Where did I ever post about street racing? I did not know this thread was about street racing, maybe some wreckless endagerment on the OP's part but I compete with my silly ricer skills, and win $ for being a ricer (not much but $75 is something).

Dunno, you immediately jumped on the bandwagon of maximas not being able to do them.... EG. Narrowminded orger.
I was comparing the two, street racing and doing donuts, if its a no no to post about one then its assumed to be a no no to post on the other.

Anyway I didn't jump on any bandwagon, I never said Maximas can't do donuts or do I give a **** if they can or not because thats just idiotic. I was just being sarcastic since our cars handle like pieces of crap and make wide turns on stock suspension.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by 98MaximaDriver
Man there is a lot of pompous ****** in this thread with their nose up real high ..

"oh this thread is stupid.." "dumb thread" "pointless thread"

(and i was gonna post in it because well you know, i didnt want to look stupid either but here goes...)

WTF... if you think the thread is stupid WHY ARE YOU POSTING IN IT!

A lot of people here at the org are lighthearted, helpful and constructive when posting.. even funny!! but some people just go around trying to chop people down at every chance they get..

Instead of posting direct or indirect insults like : like stupid, moron, brain dead.. or whatever else people have called the OP for starting this thread.

IF THE POST DOESN'T INTEREST YOU !! DON'T POST IN IT!
IF YOU THINK ITS STUPID OR BENEATH YOU!! DON'T POST IN IT!!!

Take your grey poupon and your pocket protector somewhere else and kick rocks, get to steppin, dont let the door hit you where the good lord split you!!!!!
Just when I thought this thread couldn't become worse, this post appears
Old 03-06-2011, 12:41 AM

I was comparing the two, street racing and doing donuts, if its a no no to post about one then its assumed to be a no no to post on the other.

Anyway I didn't jump on any bandwagon, I never said Maximas can't do donuts or do I give a **** if they can or not because thats just idiotic. I was just being sarcastic since our cars handle like pieces of crap and make wide turns on stock suspension.
Doesn't have anything to do with this thread, well that's my take on it, lets not argue about that point, worse comes to worse, I'll just concede that point to you.

Really? Please tell me what is the logical conclusion from your first 3 post...

Maximas turn?
Originally Posted by MoncefA33
News to me...
Me too WTF
Can mods please just start banning all these ricer retards who keep making stupid useless threads the org is fuking full of them now

Just when I thought this thread couldn't become worse, this post appears
Sorry, he hit the nail on the mother-loving head when it comes to this forum, a lot of people expect to be spoon fed these interesting, relevant, cool things like Maximum-Maxima (not to pick on you, you're just the last person to remind me of the type of stuff that goes on here) when it comes to new ideas and interesting threads, but they fail to realize is THIS is where these things come to light. How about instead of just being the adverage org-idiot like the first few replyers, try to think outside the box for a second? Or has the idea of owning a maxima made you so close-minded that you can't think beyond stereotypes and common understanding that you can't make something out of nothing anymore? Why are you on this website then? If we all thought the same way about our cars then why mod them? And if you say that's all you care about then go to another site and post on Yahoo questions or some basic website, this is for MAXIMA ENTHUSIAST, people who own a maxima and are excited about it, and doing new or atleast fun things with it, stop trying to be the average joe and contribute or atleast throw out some new ideas instead of just take the easy way and just be like "oh you're stupid, a maxima is a solid rear axle fwd car that can't do things besides take me the school reliably." If you think that much of your vehicle, then delete your account and buy another solid rear axle fwd v6 car for the same price, this is not the place for you.

I take it back, not even the average org joe thinks that much about their car to referring to the suspension and engine setup, which are the basic principles for determining the behavior and performance of a vehicle, to be more like the average orger I would say something along the lines of.... "oh you own a maxima, it's just a family sedan", while not realising that not every solid rear axle vehicle performs like ours.

I may edit this later, I'm a tad bit drunk now.

//made my sober edits muwahahaha.

Last edited by aackshun; 03-06-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:37 AM

Yea you are drunk because you're trying to justify a retarded topic by saying us guys don't think much of our cars ARE YOU ****ING SERIOUS MAN? I've owned 3 Maximas in the past 2 years, 2 5th gens and a 4th gen all in a ****ing row and it wasn't no god damn ****ing coincidence that the last 3 cars I've owned are Maximas. I am an enthusiast and as excited as it gets with these cars. YES our fcking POS stock suspension blows horse **** thats why we ****ing mod it with coilovers, RSB, etc

This is WTF I'm saying I LOVE TO SEE PROGRESS THREADS, USEFUL THREADS, THREADS FULL OF NEW INFO, NEW ****ING MODS THAT WE CAN ALL BENEFIT FROM, NOT SOME ****ING IDIOT SAYING THAT OUR CARS CAN'T DO DONUTS ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME CMON GROW THE **** UP! WTF DO DONUTS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING? DO YOU DO DONUTS? PLEASE TELL ME WHAT DAYS OF THE WEEK YOU GO OUT AND DO DONUTS? CMON MAN GET YOUR **** TOGETHER! SOME OF US ARE BUILDING MAXIMAS INTO ****ING TRACK CARS, AUTOX CARS, AND WHOOPIN SOME MOTHA****IN *** AND YOU ****ING CLOWNS WANT TO TALK ABOUT DONUTS? GO TO THE ****IN DUNKIN DONUTS FORUM TO TALK ABOUT DONUTS CUZ AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED YOUR BS IS NOT WELCOME HERE!
Old 03-06-2011, 02:37 AM

And if you think your drunk you just met your match
Old 03-06-2011, 07:44 AM

(thanks for not quoting me above, I left you the same courtesy to make sober edits also)

I am not trying to justify anything, I am throwing out ideas in a public place where back and forth conversation can occur and maybe some enlightenment on both of our parts.

Our suspension only sucks in the big picture of the car world, you must have owned cars such as lotus's, subaru's, evo's, miatas, s2ks, etc and such to have such a low opinion of our car's handling abilities. If you compare the maxima to other similar 90s vehicles it actually out performs them in the handling department (and in a lot others too).

This is what I'm trying to say, look at it from another P.O.V....

Why did he fail at doing a 360 when that other maxima did it so effortlessly?

Why did he fail at it, when he did it in his sebring? Which I'm almost sure handles worse than a maxima...

Why can other FWD cars do 360s easier than ours?

These are the questions you should really be asking, this is what I call thinking outside of the org box, this is NOT narrowminded thinking, and sorry, I still do find your responses narrow minded, because you are really not participating besides the point of... "I think this thread is stupid, I am tired of seeing these stupid threads."
Its one of those things that if you believe it so much, then it will become true. I did think the same exact way about it when I first read the OP, but as in previous threads, I went that extra step and tried to get a little bit of intelligent banter here and maybe discuss some interesting things. It takes very little thought and effort to do what you and others are doing, but a bit of thought and a little effort to turn nothing into something, which in the end is what we're all trying to do with our vehicles.

Yes, I do donuts on a monthly basis, the last sunday of each month to be exact. I go down to Angleton, TX and compete in gymkhana, a sport that I'm probably one of the first and only to do it in this vehicle (I'm sure there's like 2-3 other people in the world doing it, but not taking it seriously like I am).

I will admit, if I was really into gymkhana, I could have spent my $2600 on a car purchase better on another car, but I like the maxima for it's ability to not suck (note: i did not say do well), at many things, it shocked a lot of people when I had the top five times for the gymkhana final, beating out a lot of RWD cars. They thought so lowly of my car that even though I don't qualify for the stock class, they still put me in it because I own a maxima... easy money for me, I didn't complain, but the other stock FWD'rs did... After last year I know they won't let me back in stock FWD anymore lol.

Also keep in mind that I am not directing my responses soley at you, they are kind of directed at everyone else here, because only very few people actually post something intelligent here, I'm not talking about posting intelligent threads (I hope to god you didn't expect crazy build threads, and look at this cool new thing I'm trying every other day on a forum called maxima.org, they are here, just not as many or often as other forums) I'm talking about just responding to threads in general. Because those responses are what makes ideas, and starts those "hey look at this crazy new thing I'm trying" threads.

Last edited by aackshun; 03-06-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Plain and simple. The roads today iced over and snowed over the ice so it was perfect time to go have fun in the snow on a parking low. And no matter how hard I tried or what I tried I just couldn't get the car to do a single donut.

Same goes for 180 deg turns.

I used to have a Sebring convertible and it had no problems doing either... Oh well.

At least with the right aim, a dab of the handbreak and a healthy application of gas throughout the corner a Maxima WILL drift through it.
And what in the hell does this have to do with a 4th gen Maxima? I'll tell you what, the next time I see some garbage like this posted in this forum, you'll get a week off.