4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

charges for suspension makeover

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 07:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

charges for suspension makeover

Well, since yesterday, I've had my 96 Maxima in the shop. I was originally planning to replace the stock struts with AGX, replace all of the rubber and misc. components of the suspension (bushings, spacers, boots, etc) and replace the endlinks, front sway bar, and control arm bushings with polyurethane, plus, new Poterfield brakes.

I found out that all of the rotors were running really thin, and they replaced them with new ones. Hopefully, this is going to be the solution to the poor brake feel I've always had. I'm getting the car back tomorrow.

I just need some of your comments and opinions on how much I was charged. It may seem like a lot, and it is, but my dad trusts this mechanic very much, since he's worked on a lot of our other cars for maintenance purposes.

Total charge: $922.78

Struts
$175 Front struts
$175 Rear struts
(This includes all replacement parts that I gave...about 16 different(times 2) parts all in a box from nissanparts.cc)

Brakes
$292.78 for 4 brand new blank rotors

Bushings
$200 for replacement of endlinks, front sway bar, and control arm bushings

The total price includes these labor fees: replacement of struts and suspension components, the removal and replacement of the bushings, removal and installation of new rotors, and the replacement of all four brake pads.

My dad mentioned that his mechanic doesn't really do this type of work everyday since his shop is only usually for auto repair, and that's part of the reason labor came up to so many hours.
Old 12-21-2001, 07:39 PM

Re: charges for suspension makeover

sounds like a great deal! why not lower your car too?

i'm having bushing replaced and it's costing me $225 including parts and labor (endlinks, sway bar, and control arm). tokico and struts, shocks, and eibach springs parts and labor was $700 for me.

jhlee
Old 12-21-2001, 08:49 PM

hmmm hey jhlee.

I've followed some of your threads about ES's bushings. I wanted to comment about how much you were paying (a little high) but I never had the chance.

Next time, I think we should both find a good friend that'll recommend someone who does good work and at the same time will give a discount

Thanks for the comment.
Old 12-21-2001, 08:51 PM

ohh...btw, if I didn't make it clear...

The charges I listed didn't include the parts (struts, brakes, etc)...
Old 12-21-2001, 09:01 PM

TF

I was charged $180 to install all four AGX's and replace all of the worn suspension components (boots, strut bearings, etc.)

Replacing the mid-link bushings and end link bushings is a 1/2 hour job for someone who knows what they're doing.

The brake job and new rotors sounds fair. What did he charge for parts? Labor?

Sounds like the mechanic charged you for actual time spent and that it took him a long time because he didn't know the car. This work didn't require a rocket scientist. That should be his problem, not yours. Call Nissan on Monday and talk to a service writer. Find out how many hours a technician gets as credit for strut/shock replacement, brakes & rotors, and bushing replacements. (Probably 7-8 hours max) This number should be the maximum # of hours for labor. Then multiply the shop's hourly rate by these hours. I'd gather my information together and ask him to adjust his price for the job.
Old 12-21-2001, 10:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson

Guy why are paying people to do this simple stuff you can do yourself in your backyard. All you need is a breaker bar some sockets, a Clamp for breaks, and a spring compressor which you borrow for a fee from autozone and you return it and get your money back. All you have to do is do the search thing and or ask someone for help or just go to www.maximadriver.com and go to the how to section and it gives you some instructions. Well this is it right here they wanted to charge me $45.00 per side to remove and install shocks, brakes I dont know I never paid no one to do them for me.

And after being ripped off to drop my car which was $515.00 for some Eibachs and another $615.00 for my Greddy exhaust you best believe I pulled my head where the sun dont shine and began to do stuff myself.
Today I got ripped off for a K N filter $70.69 and then come home search on the computer run into hotrods.com or something like that guy tells me I can get the filter for you $31.00 I was like WTF and had to run back and return the filter and paid $39.00 for shipped straight from KN.
Old 12-22-2001, 01:09 AM

It's just I'm a college student, and I really want to reserve my winter break time to spend with my family and friends.

IF i had the time, I'd reserach and do it myself, believe me. I did that with Car Audio

Anyway, to all of you: thanks for looking out for a fellow org member...appreciate it.
Old 12-22-2001, 05:57 AM

WHAT?!! Those prices CAN'T be for labor only, can they?
Old 12-22-2001, 09:42 AM

Can someone give me a rough estimate as to how much I will have to pay to have my H&Rs installed after Christmas. I cant do it myself so thats not an option, too tied up with Division 1 College Baseball. Im hoping it wont be more than like $150 cuz a good mechanic probably does it all the time. Thanks...
Old 12-22-2001, 04:48 PM

hmmm hey jhlee.

I've followed some of your threads about ES's bushings. I wanted to comment about how much you were paying (a little high) but I never had the chance.

Next time, I think we should both find a good friend that'll recommend someone who does good work and at the same time will give a discount

Thanks for the comment.
Turd,

Yes. It's a little pricy, but I live in Silicon Valley where everything costs just a little more. Actually, compared to the prices I've been paying from a local Nissan dealer, these are rock bottom prices! So, I'm okay with it. As for working on the car myself, well, I do install simple stuff like Pop Charger, RSB, myself, but we're not allowed to work on our cars within the complex where I live. So, any mods that's take more then an hour or two has goto the shop. And my friends are in the same boat.

jhlee