4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch Woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Bacon Lover

Clutch Woes

Hey guys! Long time, no see. I'm having an issue with my clutch and was unable to find another thread where someone's exact symptoms matched mine. For starters, before yesterday, the car ran and drove perfectly. Keep that in mind. This is totally just a "car sat overnight and developed problems" issue, and I did not do anything out of the ordinary in the days leading up to the issue. So here's the rundown:

-Clutch pedal has to be pressed practically all the way to the floor, so I have ~0.25" of pedal travel at the bottom where the clutch is actually doing anything. Previous to this, the clutch engaged almost at the top of the travel.
-Car will go into gear, but it's very difficult and more or less forced, but not quite.
-There is a distinct squeaking noise I can hear when I press/depress the clutch pedal. It is not the return spring, because that's always been squeaky on my car and I know exactly what it sounds like. This is a separate noise.
-I checked the reservoir, and it was low but not empty. I filled it up to just about the "max" line.
-I checked for puddles/drips on the pavement and on the bottom of the car and found nothing. I also looked around the master cylinder and didn't see anything leaking, but was unable to get good light to check out the slave.

Basically, the clutch barely works and the car is more or less undriveable at the moment. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Tatanko; 03-08-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Hey guys! Long time, no see. I'm having an issue with my clutch and was unable to find another thread where someone's exact symptoms matched mine. For starters, before yesterday, the car ran and drove perfectly. Keep that in mind. This is totally just a "car sat overnight and developed problems" issue, and I did not do anything out of the ordinary in the days leading up to the issue. So here's the rundown:

-Clutch pedal has to be pressed practically all the way to the floor, so I have ~0.25" of pedal travel at the bottom where the clutch is actually doing anything. Previous to this, the clutch engaged almost at the top of the travel.
-Car will go into gear, but it's very difficult and more or less forced, but not quite.
-There is a distinct squeaking noise I can hear when I press/depress the clutch pedal. It is not the return spring, because that's always been squeaky on my car and I know exactly what it sounds like. This is a separate noise.
-I checked the reservoir, and it was low but not empty. I filled it up to just about the "max" line.
-I checked for puddles/drips on the pavement and on the bottom of the car and found nothing. I also looked around the master cylinder and didn't see anything leaking, but was unable to get good light to check out the slave.

Basically, the clutch barely works and the car is more or less undriveable at the moment. Any thoughts?
one of your rubber hoses to the slave is prolly leakin very slowly there is a 2 piece rubber hose that come off the slave that usaly where they leak from u prolly need to bleed the air out and get a new hose the master could also be leakin in the fire wall where u cant see
Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 AM

Check under the carpet inside where the MC is mounted for wetness. You could be leaking past the seals into the car.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:55 PM

Yur slave prolly gone. When mine went, there was no puddle or anything under the car, jus a loss of clutch pressure.

In fact, now that i think about it, the slave had been going for some time. For example, before it went sometimes the clutch engagement point would lower while driving. Since replacing it, no issues.

I did replace master and slave. Both were like 50 bucks.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by cashoit
Yur slave prolly gone. When mine went, there was no puddle or anything under the car, jus a loss of clutch pressure.

In fact, now that i think about it, the slave had been going for some time. For example, before it went sometimes the clutch engagement point would lower while driving. Since replacing it, no issues.

I did replace master and slave. Both were like 50 bucks.
I'm guessing (and hoping) that this is the case. I'm going to limp it to the garage, we shall see.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:15 PM
KH3 by popular demand

My pedal suddenly acted up when we had freezing weather. Inspected under the hood and realized the clutch cylinder had no fluid and the rubber line going to the clutch actuator had fluid on it like it had been leaking for some time. Right now I'm waiting on the ss line to show up in the mail to replace it. It is kind of a pain to drive but I've been doing the rpm shifts which help, it pretty much shifts with the pedal all the way to ground, but it take a bit of pressure to do so. What I did find out is that from a dead stop if you need to go into first or reverse it would go a lot easier if I pumped the pedal a couple times.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:03 PM

1. Get SS Lines
2. Rebuild slave cylinder
3. buy a back up master cylinder (i may have my mech actually replace this, it's a pitfa).
4. profit.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:12 AM

samething here loss of pressure putting in new slave and master soon
Old 03-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
My pedal suddenly acted up when we had freezing weather. Inspected under the hood and realized the clutch cylinder had no fluid and the rubber line going to the clutch actuator had fluid on it like it had been leaking for some time. Right now I'm waiting on the ss line to show up in the mail to replace it. It is kind of a pain to drive but I've been doing the rpm shifts which help, it pretty much shifts with the pedal all the way to ground, but it take a bit of pressure to do so. What I did find out is that from a dead stop if you need to go into first or reverse it would go a lot easier if I pumped the pedal a couple times.
That's pretty much what I had to do in order to get it to the shop, rev-match every single shift, up or down

By the way, turns out the master cylinder was toast. I'm having my guy replace the lines and the slave cylinder while he's at it.