4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Practical Suggestions for a Tall guy ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 11:05 PM

Practical Suggestions for a Tall guy ...

... who is sick of sitting up straight only to have his head touching the ceiling.

Are there some kind of comfortable bucket seats I could put in my max that wouldn't **** up my back , or my wallet
Old 03-13-2011, 12:03 AM

If I sit up straight, ill hit the ceiling. I normally drive a little slouched and lean my seat back a tad. Its comfortable to me, and i can see everything fine. By no means do I mean I drive like the guy you see who reclines so far back you think hes taking a nap..... I mean a little, like an inch, lol.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:59 AM

Yeah ... I generally drive the same way and lean on my door rest or center console ... so much that in my old max I ended up breaking through the drivers door arm rest with my elbow after years of leaning on it hahaha ...

But i'm sick of it ... I want some plush and comfortable bucket seats ... its looking like i'm going to have her longer than I thought. She needs some work ... especially cosmetic work to the front end but the miles are around 100k so F#CK it ... i'm gonna drop some money into her ... maybe some paint ... a trailer hitch (seriously) and maybe even a roof rack.

Custom 15" IB subwoofer baffle, left over from my previous 97 max (who's nose is now on this Frankenstein maxima) will be going in the trunk ... car came with some alpine components and i've got an active crossover clarion deck i'm dropping in her as well.

Initially I was looking to sell the car for a small profit (hopefully) and upgrade to an SUV because ...

A.) i'm 6'3"

B.) I'm a DJ that's going to need to tow around a sound system ... It just occured to me an hour or two ago " F#CK it... i'll throw a trailer hitch on her and roll with it ..."

Will probably end up getting a new suspension after this OEM one blows out ... I live in a super hilly area of new england that is poor as F#CK so they rarely keep up with the pot holes and frost heaves ... This combined with my general need for (relative) speed blows out my struts roughly once a year , which i'm sick of as well ...

All this rambling brings me full circle to my previous 1997 maxima limited with leather , heated seats ... I got out of that one after an accident and got into this one , less miles but cloth interior and not heated seats ... ultimately I wanted something new but all in all ... as long as she keeps running i'll dump some money into her ... I just wish I could find a reasonable paint guy , F#CK!

Last edited by metaverse; 03-13-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:14 AM

hey

first of all you need to get struts proper ones to adjust for your varying driving conditions kyb agx's that way when your towing you can adjust for that then i know a great guy for paint and body his name is eugene he owns executive auto body in somerville ma phone number is 617-576-1855 give him a call
Old 03-13-2011, 08:52 AM

do this and you'll be comfy all day....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kLMKbYKpJo
Old 03-13-2011, 10:32 AM

I dont mind the leaning part, my legs are the big problem. I make frequent 8 hr drives and they cramp up bad I have to keep moving them around in probably unsafe driving positions
Old 03-13-2011, 11:47 AM

I'm 6'1" and do a 5 hour drive several times a year. This is actually one of the better cars I have driven ergonomically. And the clearance under the driver's seat is low enough to crush a box of tissues. So unless someone can suggest compatible buckets, maybe move the ones you have. Without going and looking, if the seat mounts are flat to the floor you can look at fabbing tabs that relocate back .5-1". Doesn't sound like much but when you are trying to make something fit better, every bit counts. Might be doable and make you slouch just enough less to accept it.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:24 PM

Im assuming your seats are electric like mine... I forgot to mention that i lower my seat all the way down as well.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm 6'3" and I fit fine. I have the seat vertical too...can't drive if I'm in a poor seating position.

OP, you must have a big a$$ giving you the booster seat effect.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:02 PM

im 6'3 too. if you cant fit in the max you got serious problems dude. sometimes you gotta lean your seat back for comfortability... not just to be an OG.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:04 PM

I'm 6-3.5 and my head isn't close to the ceiling....
Old 03-13-2011, 02:17 PM

my boy AG is 6'4'' and he be driving in the back seat lol
Old 03-13-2011, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 03-13-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by zach-eminem
first of all you need to get struts proper ones to adjust for your varying driving conditions kyb agx's that way when your towing you can adjust for that then i know a great guy for paint and body his name is eugene he owns executive auto body in somerville ma phone number is 617-576-1855 give him a call
Does he do his estimates with a computer? I've been down that road with 3 different places = no go.

KYB AGX's you say ?? Are they just like coil overs with keys ??
Old 03-13-2011, 05:16 PM

I'm 6'4 and I sit fine. Recline the seat more for a try? (if you have long arms) I just couldn't imagine having a 5 speed due to the dashboard/steering wheel clearance on my knees.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by zach-eminem
Originally Posted by metaverse
Does he do his estimates with a computer? I've been down that road with 3 different places = no go.

KYB AGX's you say ?? Are they just like coil overs with keys ??
Old 03-13-2011, 09:03 PM

I'm glad all of you sit fine ... thats nice to know ... but this thread isn't about if YOU sit fine or not ... Is it?

I was simply asking about bucket seats ...

Thanks to the grown-ups who contributed constructive information.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:31 PM

o waaaaaahhhhh, excuuuuuuuuuse me i told you to lean back. i do with no issues. your too uptight man.....
Old 03-13-2011, 11:44 PM

Seriously though, how tall are you?

I'm only 6"2 but all of my height is in my torso... When I sit down I'm usually eye to eye with people who are 6'4-6'5.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 AM

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. The guy asked for help and gets criticism. Maybe all of his height is in his torso. Who cares? We should all be brain storming on how to get more leg room or tell him "it just doesn't happen."

When I drove a B14 (Sentra/200SX) people figured out that the NX2000 seats where the same floor pattern. The seat tracks and rails could be swapped out to drop the stock seat .5-1" allowing taller people to wear a helmet at track events without "just leaning over." But this is a known swap. Since no one has chimed in one for the Max you would have to figure out what cars shared seat patterns. Then find real world data on height or clearance. Hard to do unless you have a friend who works at the junk yard or is playing with this stuff. Maybe a close year Altima. They are similar but slightly smaller. Good luck, post up if you find a match for future searchers.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 AM

Do a leather swap
Old 03-14-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by sfhellwig
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. The guy asked for help and gets criticism. Maybe all of his height is in his torso. Who cares? We should all be brain storming on how to get more leg room or tell him "it just doesn't happen."

When I drove a B14 (Sentra/200SX) people figured out that the NX2000 seats where the same floor pattern. The seat tracks and rails could be swapped out to drop the stock seat .5-1" allowing taller people to wear a helmet at track events without "just leaning over." But this is a known swap. Since no one has chimed in one for the Max you would have to figure out what cars shared seat patterns. Then find real world data on height or clearance. Hard to do unless you have a friend who works at the junk yard or is playing with this stuff. Maybe a close year Altima. They are similar but slightly smaller. Good luck, post up if you find a match for future searchers.
It'd be nice to know what we're working with, if he's a tall lanky fellah then aftermarket sport seats would gain him some more clearance.

But if he's a football lineman-esque person like myself that is NOT an option.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:03 AM

Have you ever been in a toyota camry? My boy has a 97 camry and my head almost touches the roof. Im 5'9. Wit the max, there is plenty of headroom.

OP,

Not much u can really do besides buy bucket seats or jus move the seats as far back as u need.

Last edited by cashoit; 03-14-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by 95Maxed
If I sit up straight, ill hit the ceiling. I normally drive a little slouched and lean my seat back a tad. Its comfortable to me, and i can see everything fine. By no means do I mean I drive like the guy you see who reclines so far back you think hes taking a nap..... I mean a little, like an inch, lol.
litterally lol'd. I know exactly what you are talking about, so funny. Did you try seat and steering wheel repositions?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:59 AM

I'm 6'3'' and I fit fine. You must have a really long torso to be hitting the ceiling. I DJ too and all my stuff fits in the Max pretty well, lol.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:44 PM

I'm 6'4 and have a long torso. No problems with ceiling here. I sit with seat pretty far up also.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm laughing at this bucket seat thing you guys keep saying...it's not a 60's muscle car! We already have "bucket" seats. Racing seats will not get you much lower because of the mounting brackets...unless you bolt them to the floor without them. I'm sorry man, no one is trying to pick on you. I just have a hard time believing you don't fit in a 4th gen and you're my height. My brother is 6'6" and he fits. You must be a 'busa boy!

Sell the car and buy a full size truck. Otherwise, quit complaining. Japanese cars aren't made for big Americans. Hell, even most American cars aren't.