4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Took 17" Rims off Got New Dunlop Sport A2's on 16" Rims and.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 09:48 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Took 17" Rims off Got New Dunlop Sport A2's on 16" Rims and.....

I can't believe how nice the car rides. I had Dunlop SP8000 235/45/ZR17 on the car. Winter is coming here in NJ so I figured I'd take the nice Konigs off and put the OEM 5 spoke back on. I needed to get rid of the Good Year RSA's that were mounted on them. So after a lot of research on TireRack I decided to go with the Dunlop Sport A2's. 215/55/HR16. I have the AGX's and stock springs, RSB and FSTB. I used to have the AGX's set on 1 up front and 2 in the rear. This gave the car a nice ride on the 17" wheels and tires. Now I've got the AGX's set on 2 up front and 4 in the rear. The car rides so quiet on these tires and the handling is excellent. I can feel only a very slight loss of steering response do to the larger side wall, but it's a very welcome feel. With the AGX's set up higher the car feels much tighter on the road and handles extremely well. RED112FL had it right when he posted earlier about his find with 16 to 15" rims with better tires. You can crank up the struts and keep a nice ride and get some really nice handling out of the car with the stock wheels on it. I may even sell my 17" wheels and tires.

Bottom line, these Dunlop Sport A2's are definately a nice riding tire and they hold the road just as good as my SP8000 "Z" tires do, but the car is quieter and just feels better to drive. I highly reccomend them to anybody in the market for new tires.
Old 12-23-2001, 06:56 PM

Re: Took 17" Rims off Got New Dunlop Sport A2's on 16" Rims and.....

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I can't believe how nice the car rides. I had Dunlop SP8000 235/45/ZR17 on the car. Winter is coming here in NJ so I figured I'd take the nice Konigs off and put the OEM 5 spoke back on. I needed to get rid of the Good Year RSA's that were mounted on them. So after a lot of research on TireRack I decided to go with the Dunlop Sport A2's. 215/55/HR16. I have the AGX's and stock springs, RSB and FSTB. I used to have the AGX's set on 1 up front and 2 in the rear. This gave the car a nice ride on the 17" wheels and tires. Now I've got the AGX's set on 2 up front and 4 in the rear. The car rides so quiet on these tires and the handling is excellent. I can feel only a very slight loss of steering response do to the larger side wall, but it's a very welcome feel. With the AGX's set up higher the car feels much tighter on the road and handles extremely well. RED112FL had it right when he posted earlier about his find with 16 to 15" rims with better tires. You can crank up the struts and keep a nice ride and get some really nice handling out of the car with the stock wheels on it. I may even sell my 17" wheels and tires.

Bottom line, these Dunlop Sport A2's are definately a nice riding tire and they hold the road just as good as my SP8000 "Z" tires do, but the car is quieter and just feels better to drive. I highly reccomend them to anybody in the market for new tires.
have you driven with the A2's in the snow yet? how do they perform?
Old 12-23-2001, 07:10 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

that is great to hear.. cus i just ordered the same tires.

Look at my sig.. I just ordered the Dunlop SP Sport A2s today!

I am sort of in the same boat. Even though I have no large wheels to take off, the 16 X 6.5" 2001 GLE/SE rims are my upgrade from the stock steelies with stock Toyos down to like 4-5k miles at most. (60k miles on them! )

Anyways, after lots of research online and offline, checking numerous sites and shops, I was looking to spend 400$ tops on tires. Well, looking at Tirerack.com which indeed has some of the best prices and service around, I was confused about what to get, The Dunlop Sp A2s aren't really even rated there, but if you read the feedback from other people who've had them, they seem great, they replace the Dunlop D60A2... which have gotten awards for being the best all around tire. They discontinued those, and improved them in this Sp Sport A2 model. These are new tires to the market, and are a bargain at 92$ each. I almost got Bridgestone Potenza RE950, but they were like 12$ more and that's another 50$ for 4 tires. which i can use for balance and installation or something else.. Then I ran across this tire and after reading about it, seemed like a great deal.

My concerns were that I didn't really know how well it handled, road noise, etc.. So I'm glad to hear about your positive experience with them I got them in the same size too.
I'll post mine experience when I mount mine later this week.