4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

springs and not new struts

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 05:08 PM

springs and not new struts

what does it matter, yah i am cheap, keep it to yourself...
Old 12-22-2001, 05:32 PM

your stock struts wont last long.

bill or clee or someone, make a sticky thread about this or put it in FAQ if you havent already (i looked fairly quickly). it gets asked a lot. get someone to go into detail about it.
Old 12-22-2001, 06:30 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: springs and not new struts

you should be banned for asking that. you should know better.
Old 12-22-2001, 07:11 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

i have B&G's with stock SE struts/shocks (58k miles) and Nissan said they wouldn't last more than a month or 2. It's been about 3 weeks. I hear a loud smacking noise from my front right strut. It's becuase my springs are so short, that when it hits hard bumps it bottoms out.

My suspension is pretty noisy now, but I have the music on all the time so it doesn't matta.
Old 12-22-2001, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

My suspension is pretty noisy now, but I have the music on all the time so it doesn't matta.
tha's a great remedy.
Old 12-22-2001, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by NickStam

tha's a great remedy.
Old 12-22-2001, 07:23 PM

I'd be mad too if i was riding around on stock struts and aftermarket springs.
Old 12-22-2001, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by NickStam
I'd be mad too if i was riding around on stock struts and aftermarket springs.

Why ? The ride is nice and I actually didn't notice a ride change over my stock SE springs. I think alot of people here over-exaggerate on the effects of these mods. Handling is greatly improved. I didn't have an extra $400 to waste on struts at the time.
Old 12-22-2001, 07:33 PM

Why ? The ride is nice and I actually didn't notice a ride change over my stock SE springs. I think alot of people here over-exaggerate on the effects of these mods. Handling is greatly improved. I didn't have an extra $400 to waste on struts at the time.
How is the ride nice if you are bottoming out? I think you just half-assed your suspension (IMO). And the $400 wouldn't have been a waste. Mods for the Max don't cost, they pay.
Old 12-22-2001, 07:42 PM

Right, would you like to try and hang with some of us who have spent the extra money on shocks and springs ? it isnt even just about corners , with blown shocks your braking will suffer greatly, if the roads are bumpy your car will not stop as quick and then a loss of 400 bucks which you didnt want to spend may turn into something greater like the loss of your car. If you cant mod right then dont do a ****ty job. i know im not one to speak but every mod i have i saved up for, i didnt get a lower grade mod because i could afford it i saved up and got what i wanted.

Why did you even bother spending money on springs , you could have saved yourself 400 bones if you cut your springs.
Old 12-22-2001, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Stillnmax
Right, would you like to try and hang with some of us who have spent the extra money on shocks and springs ? it isnt even just about corners , with blown shocks your braking will suffer greatly, if the roads are bumpy your car will not stop as quick and then a loss of 400 bucks which you didnt want to spend may turn into something greater like the loss of your car. If you cant mod right then dont do a ****ty job. i know im not one to speak but every mod i have i saved up for, i didnt get a lower grade mod because i could afford it i saved up and got what i wanted.

Why did you even bother spending money on springs , you could have saved yourself 400 bones if you cut your springs.
How long will these good aftermarket struts last ?? $400 is alot of money to me, so if i'm gonna spend it I expect them to last the life of my damn car. Will they ?
Old 12-22-2001, 09:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How long will these good aftermarket struts last ?? $400 is alot of money to me, so if i'm gonna spend it I expect them to last the life of my damn car. Will they ?
they last a lifetime and they get replaced free if they do die. Sooner or later you'll mess something up then you'll just need to buy what you've been avoiding - I don't see where you saved money but not getting struts in the first place. I hate to agree with Nickstam - but he is right.
Old 12-22-2001, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by theblue
I hate to agree with Nickstam - but he is right.

Well, I couldn't of installed them without a friend who is a maxima-genious. He basically did all the work for me. And he was available at the time, and it's pretty rare, so I had to jump on it. B&G's went on. Plus I am still a student so money doesn't grow on trees. I do however understand were yall are comin' from, and I will get these as my next mod. (There goes 5spd conversion/supercharger for a while )
Old 12-22-2001, 09:29 PM

Well, I couldn't of installed them without a friend who is a maxima-genious. He basically did all the work for me. And he was available at the time, and it's pretty rare, so I had to jump on it. B&G's went on. Plus I am still a student so money doesn't grow on trees. I do however understand were yall are comin' from, and I will get these as my next mod. (There goes 5spd conversion/supercharger for a while )
one more point then I'll leave you alone. If you are a poor student then why would you do something to your maxima that will force you to spend more money on your car when the struts blow. I went for a long time without lowering my maxima and it was worth the wait to do it right.
Old 12-22-2001, 09:38 PM

Re: springs and not new struts

Originally posted by Justin95SE
what does it matter, yah i am cheap, keep it to yourself...

Is like this are you changing your own springs? If yes your good. Why because when your struts go out you can replace your own struts. I didnt upgrade my shocks right away and I live in pothole kingdom, especially on my way to work when I do drive, so you should be alright for a couple of weeks. Now if your paying for the labor because 1. You dont know what to do 2. Your too lazy to do it yourself then yes I d wait therefor you can replace both at the same time. Now see I got ripped the f_ _k off here in New Orleans when I got charged $500 plus dollars to install Eibachs and then the drop was a piece sh_t drop because my car looked like any stock car with all that dam gap, So now I wanted different springs, and shocks so in order not to pay the high price I just do labor myself and search on the net for the lowest prices I can possibly can get. So to end this do your own labor and you ll be good no matter what.
Old 12-23-2001, 06:24 AM

Re: Re: springs and not new struts

Eventually you will all agree with me.

If you care about your car (poor or not), you wouldn't do half-a$$ed things to it. Hey, as long as it aint my car.
Old 12-23-2001, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by JAY25
Is like this are you changing your own springs? If yes your good. Why because when your struts go out you can replace your own struts. I didnt upgrade my shocks right away and I live in pothole kingdom, especially on my way to work when I do drive, so you should be alright for a couple of weeks...
and if you blow your stock struts then you need to buy new ones when you sell your car OR just give the new owner/dealer your aftermarket ones for free.
Old 12-23-2001, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by JAY25

Is like this are you changing your own springs? If yes your good. Why because when your struts go out you can replace your own struts. I didnt upgrade my shocks right away and I live in pothole kingdom, especially on my way to work when I do drive, so you should be alright for a couple of weeks. Now if your paying for the labor because 1. You dont know what to do 2. Your too lazy to do it yourself then yes I d wait therefor you can replace both at the same time. Now see I got ripped the f_ _k off here in New Orleans when I got charged $500 plus dollars to install Eibachs and then the drop was a piece sh_t drop because my car looked like any stock car with all that dam gap, So now I wanted different springs, and shocks so in order not to pay the high price I just do labor myself and search on the net for the lowest prices I can possibly can get. So to end this do your own labor and you ll be good no matter what.

JAY25 where did u get ur car lowered at cus i live in new orleans too?
and i want to drop my car but dont know how to do it myself..so plz let me know who to avoid
thanks
Old 12-23-2001, 09:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: springs and not new struts

Originally posted by MaximaPower

JAY25 where did u get ur car lowered at cus i live in new orleans too?
and i want to drop my car but dont know how to do it myself..so plz let me know who to avoid
thanks
do it yourself

http://216.119.94.9/how-to/suspensio...print_koni.asp
Old 12-23-2001, 11:21 AM

like other said this is not a good idea