4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

JUST SEAFOAMED THE MAX-sorry no pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:20 PM

JUST SEAFOAMED THE MAX-sorry no pics

ok so i really wished i could do this during the day but i had to work allday, anyways just seafoamed my max which btw just hit 190100 miles today, after researching and all that i found it was really easy here is how i did it...
1-i was driving my car all day so i didnt need to warm the engine like it says on the bottle. i shut the car off and unplugged the hose from the brake booster(which was a pain in the ***) and had the seafoam in a small cup to pour it in the hose.
2-i started the car again, then poured the cup full of seamfoam in the hose, slowly cuz i didnt want it to cut off too early.
3-I then poured some in the engine(im gonna change the oil tomorrow), and then shut the car off, i didnt let it stall like i read some other ppl do
4-then i poured the last little bit of it into the fuel tank, cuz its supposed to clean the injectors or something like that, then i let the car sit for like several mins.
5-started the car again and did some revving, not hard mostly around 2500 or so, but not more than 3000(my roommate reved it once to like 4500). i saw some smoke but not as much as some others i saw on youtube, plus it was at night but i did feel a noticable difference in the acceleration when i took it for a drive, so im guessing it worked.
i only used 1 canister of the stuff and broke it up into 3 segments, and poured 1/3 of the bottle in each part. But for the most part my max feels like it runs smoother, but i sure as hell noticed a difference in the acceleration

Last edited by nives86; 04-09-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:45 AM

Change your oil within 50 miles. Seafoam in the crankcase thins it out. Ideally you should do it immediately.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:52 PM
ef9

Seafoam does not require an oil change immediately. You can leave the seafoam in the oil indefinately.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by ef9
Seafoam does not require an oil change immediately. You can leave the seafoam in the oil indefinately.
yea all the guys on here always say to change ur oil immediatly but it says on the can it can "be used right before and oil change or for long term cleaning"
Old 04-11-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ThreePointO
yea all the guys on here always say to change ur oil immediatly but it says on the can it can "be used right before an oil change or for long term cleaning"
Funny, u actually believe that...
That's just put there for lazy or cheap-a$$ people that don't wanna do an oil change.
They say that $hit so u will buy it. Sure it'll still run, It doesn't mean it is good to keep using the contaminated/diluted oil.
Just like when it says "10 Degrees Colder Air" on a can of R-134a.
Of course it's gonna be colder u just put refrigerant in a semi-full or empty system.
People buy it thinking the A/C System will be 10 Degrees colder than it was from the factory.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 PM
ef9

Don't go spreading rumors. The seafoam can be used long term. Many years back we spoke with the guys over at Seafoam.

Originally Posted by T-Mon3y
Funny, u actually believe that...
That's just put there for lazy or cheap-a$$ people that don't wanna do an oil change.
They say that $hit so u will buy it. Sure it'll still run, It doesn't mean it is good to keep using the contaminated/diluted oil.
Just like when it says "10 Degrees Colder Air" on a can of R-134a.
Of course it's gonna be colder u just put refrigerant in a semi-full or empty system.
People buy it thinking the A/C System will be 10 Degrees colder than it was from the factory.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 PM

seafoams crap, i would'nt dump that stuff into my engine if you paid me.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:36 PM
ef9

Actually, Seafoam works pretty well. I seafoamed my car several months ago. I used the brake booster line to dump the seafoam in. I took almost my entire engine apart and noticed that the intake manifold was super clean (only on the runners that the seafoam was able to get into).

Otherwise, my intake manifold was dirty as heck!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any of You guys try using a slow drip nozzle set up on a vacume? Instead of dumping or slowly pouring it in...I think it makes things a lot easier.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:47 AM
ef9

On my Hardbody pickup, I used a funnel on the brake booster line. On my I30, I used an undercoating gun (which atomizes the seafoam much like a paint gun would) and sprayed it into the brake booster line orifice.

Originally Posted by last1lost
Any of You guys try using a slow drip nozzle set up on a vacume? Instead of dumping or slowly pouring it in...I think it makes things a lot easier.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:14 PM

I changed the oil I was due for an oil change anyways but I still feel anything that alters the oil should require you to change it imo
Old 04-12-2011, 04:27 PM

I started to buy some seafoam the other day but instead got some berryman's B-12 chemtool fuel treatment. Haha, yeah ive never heard of it either but it was like 3 bucks a can. I poured some in and along with the replaced knock sensor the 215,000 mile motor has plenty of power I've been suprised considering the mileage. Is seafoam good for cleaning the internals?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteMaxima9600
I started to buy some seafoam the other day but instead got some berryman's B-12 chemtool fuel treatment. Haha, yeah ive never heard of it either but it was like 3 bucks a can. I poured some in and along with the replaced knock sensor the 215,000 mile motor has plenty of power I've been suprised considering the mileage. Is seafoam good for cleaning the internals?
If you pour it into the crankcase, its supposed to get rid of all the sludge in the engine,but make sure the engine is warm so the oil will be better lubed up, i noticed a considerable difference in my acceleration and noticed more of a pickup
Old 04-12-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by ef9
Don't go spreading rumors. The seafoam can be used long term. Many years back we spoke with the guys over at Seafoam.
Ok then here's another tip for ya, pour water in your intake manifold to keep the cylinders and valves hydrated so they don't dry up and crack. It gets hot in the engine ya know.

Of course they are gonna say that it's their product.
Anyways, believe what u want man
Old 04-12-2011, 08:04 PM

seafoam = uber crap. i used the slow drip into the vacuum line method and it was smooth sailing.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by T-Mon3y
Ok then here's another tip for ya, pour water in your intake manifold to keep the cylinders and valves hydrated so they don't dry up and crack. It gets hot in the engine ya know.

Of course they are gonna say that it's their product.
Anyways, believe what u want man
it thins out oil, why keep it there?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
seafoam = uber crap. i used the slow drip into the vacuum line method and it was smooth sailing.
what do u recommend for the future then sir?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by nives86
what do u recommend for the future then sir?

Do it the right way and take off the upper

Least thats the way i would do it........
Old 04-12-2011, 08:47 PM

I still think its a huge placebo effect. I did it to my car just to try it and didn't notice any benefit after. Theres no concrete evidence that it works either.

If someone decided to surprise you one day and did this to your car I guarantee that you wouldn't be able to tell the before and after difference in throttle response or acceleration or whatever.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tyutyunnik
I still think its a huge placebo effect. I did it to my car just to try it and didn't notice any benefit after. Theres no concrete evidence that it works either.

If someone decided to surprise you one day and did this to your car I guarantee that you wouldn't be able to tell the before and after difference in throttle response or acceleration or whatever.
+1
U would probably feel more of a difference from an oil change and air filter change
Old 04-12-2011, 09:08 PM

^ This.

I didn't notice any difference in performance after I did it. But the engine did seem to run a little smoother.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:29 AM

My hot idle dropped around 200rpm. That's all I think happened. (I went intake + gas tank only.)

I hear it can cause you to spring a leak by suddenly clearing away carbon deposits that have been building up and plugging holes. Or so I hear.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:59 AM

I did it in for the cleaning effect i dont think it has anything to do with performance, but in my case i did notice a difference in acceleration. im sure everyones experience with the stuff will be different. im a broke college student i wish i had time to take it apart but graduation is looming its ugly head lol
Old 04-13-2011, 11:46 PM

I seafoamed my engine a while back and noticed something disturbing the smoke from the exhaust was blue :0 uh oh
Do I have a serouse problem looming?
By the way I have 217k miles and swear by seafoam it's good ****
Old 04-14-2011, 01:21 AM
ef9

For the people who think seafoam is bullsh!t, they should stay off this thread.

Anyways, I did not notice any performance gains, but did notice the intake runners were a lot cleaner. Like I said earlier, I am in the middle of a gasket overhaul on the entire engine and noticed the super clean intake runners past the brake booster vacuum line.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ef9
For the people who think seafoam is bullsh!t, they should stay off this thread.

Anyways, I did not notice any performance gains, but did notice the intake runners were a lot cleaner. Like I said earlier, I am in the middle of a gasket overhaul on the entire engine and noticed the super clean intake runners past the brake booster vacuum line.
Exactly its more of a cleaner, than a performance, but with cleaner parts things run smoother, imo
Old 04-14-2011, 03:19 PM

Seafoam will help you regain power if your engine's so dirty that it's robbing it of power. I use it just to keep it clean, but, I just used some Restore Engine treatment, which is supposed to restore compression, on my maxima and that stuff actually works and i did see a noticeable difference in top end power and low end torque.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:59 PM
ef9

Agreed.
Exactly its more of a cleaner, than a performance, but with cleaner parts things run smoother, imo
Old 05-16-2011, 11:20 PM

figured id just ask here, Can someone please post up a pic or video of the exact spot to put in the seafoam. I know its the brake booster but Im not exactly sure where it is, also every video on youtube only shows the aftermath of smoke on the 4th gen, but not the spot to pour this stuff in. any info on this would be great....
Old 05-17-2011, 10:05 AM

All these "treatments" are just the lazy way out of cleaning your IM and all that the old fashioned way, which was to remove them and physically clean them.

I've used them too, and actually did a little experiment one time to see if it really was that magical. Just for fun a long time ago, I took off my muffler tip which had caked on smoke and dirt from a few months of not washing my car and a few weeks of running super rich from a failing MAF that I took a long time to fix. So basically I pour a little Seafoam on inside of the tip which was pitch black and kind of rotated it around while trying to keep the liquid in the chamber and it WORKS! But the MAIN thing was that I still had to come in and physically wipe it off with a rag. Although the Seafoam took some of it off, it still left a lot of carbon and other junk which kind of jellied on the inside of the tip.

Not sure how the suction of the engine would affect it though... would it suck off the dirt that was melted from the Seafoam? The world may never know...
Old 05-17-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Stagnet04
figured id just ask here, Can someone please post up a pic or video of the exact spot to put in the seafoam. I know its the brake booster but Im not exactly sure where it is, also every video on youtube only shows the aftermath of smoke on the 4th gen, but not the spot to pour this stuff in. any info on this would be great....
the brake booster is the large black drum on the drive side of your firewall, undo the hose that is connected to it
Old 05-17-2011, 12:52 PM

the brake booster is the large black drum on the drive side of your firewall, undo the hose that is connected to it
see, people have also said that its connected to the top of the intake manifold on the driveside....

kinda like this guy....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZf4WXwVL_E
Old 05-17-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Stagnet04
see, people have also said that its connected to the top of the intake manifold on the driveside....

kinda like this guy....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZf4WXwVL_E

Thats a toyota V6, we are Nissan.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by defiance
Thats a toyota V6, we are Nissan.
Yeah, I know. this is only as a reference because there are no maxima seafoam videos that show where the brake booster is....
Old 05-17-2011, 05:10 PM

Its not a placebo and it does work. I got a sohc ka engine for free for my 240sx years ago (one that sat outside without the valve cover bolted on) and when I initially drained the oil, it came out in clumps. Actually, its the same engine that I've turboed.

Anyways, first drive after throwing the engine in was awful, had what I believe to have been a sticking valve that wouldn't allow me to go more than 1/4 throttle without bucking. A couple of seafoam treatments through the brake booster line, and the engine was running perfect.

And for some concrete evidence: I compression tested the engine before and after I seafoamed. First test (pre-seafoam) I had somewhere around 190psi compression across the board (aka, higher than factory). After the seafoam treatments, my compression dropped about 20-25psi on all cylinders (back into factory spec) after the carbon buildup was cleared.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:33 PM

a good place to use is the small hose right at the beginning of the throttlebody if you disconnect it from the intake side you can put it right into the can of seafoam and it will suck it up. be sure to go slow, for the final time i let it sit in the seafoam all the way which stalled the car so everything was good and coated and it didnt run without drawing seafoam.

by using that spot it allows the seafoam to clean the whole throttlebody too! ...i would not skip cleaning TB tho, i wouldn't say it replaces a good TB cleaning. it is the easiest spot tho.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Br0nz
a good place to use is the small hose right at the beginning of the throttlebody if you disconnect it from the intake side you can put it right into the can of seafoam and it will suck it up. be sure to go slow, for the final time i let it sit in the seafoam all the way which stalled the car so everything was good and coated and it didnt run without drawing seafoam.

by using that spot it allows the seafoam to clean the whole throttlebody too! ...i would not skip cleaning TB tho, i wouldn't say it replaces a good TB cleaning. it is the easiest spot tho.

That little hose attached to the air box going to the throttle body doesnt have much vaccum. Did you have to rev it to get it to suck in the seafoam ?
Old 07-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

can someone post a picture up of where else to pour the seafoam besides gas tank and oil??
Old 07-07-2011, 01:08 PM

Im Think seafoam can be beneficial to the injectors and crankcase at removing some buildup, But as far as the brake booster/vacuum line method i see no benefit, MAybe someone can enlighten me.

Feeding the seafoam right to the manifold seems liek a good idea to reduce carbon, however, After if gets into the manifold/tb where the hell does the carbon have to go besides the intake valves and further in the engine? Im a noob but theres no combustion in the UIM so to cant burn the carbon in there it would probably loosen the carbon allowing it to go further into the engine.

I cleaned my egr tube and IACV and saw the horrors of 170k miles in the UIM, at least a 2mm thick layer of carbon covered all the walls of my manifold/egr/iacv. Im planning on removing the UIM soon to do a REAL cleaning not pumping petroleum in there and hoping it cleans some of this out.

Just my $0.02

Maybe someone with more knowledge would like to weigh in on the vacuum line method?
Old 07-10-2011, 01:00 AM
ef9

The seafoam will remove the oil that has coated the intake manifold. The oil will eventually be burned up in the combustion chamber and released in the exhaust.

But the best way to clean the oil from the intake manifold is to remove all of the parts and do a thorough parts wash with Purple Power or something similar.

Originally Posted by Maxnub
Im Think seafoam can be beneficial to the injectors and crankcase at removing some buildup, But as far as the brake booster/vacuum line method i see no benefit, MAybe someone can enlighten me.

Feeding the seafoam right to the manifold seems liek a good idea to reduce carbon, however, After if gets into the manifold/tb where the hell does the carbon have to go besides the intake valves and further in the engine? Im a noob but theres no combustion in the UIM so to cant burn the carbon in there it would probably loosen the carbon allowing it to go further into the engine.

I cleaned my egr tube and IACV and saw the horrors of 170k miles in the UIM, at least a 2mm thick layer of carbon covered all the walls of my manifold/egr/iacv. Im planning on removing the UIM soon to do a REAL cleaning not pumping petroleum in there and hoping it cleans some of this out.

Just my $0.02

Maybe someone with more knowledge would like to weigh in on the vacuum line method?

Quick Reply: JUST SEAFOAMED THE MAX-sorry no pics