4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Whole mess of issues...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:10 AM

Whole mess of issues...

Hey Maxima.org, it's been a while.

I have a few problems I'm looking to fix but I'm not totally sure how to go about them, some big some little some cosmetic some electric...etc..

1. My auto AC/heat unit is really strange. The buttons haven't lit up in years, which always bugged me but I've gotten over it, but my problem for the past year that I'm finally sick of enough to fix is that there's basically 2 temperatures that I have. Ridiculously hot or mildly cool. Whether it's set at 66 or 85, it's the same scalding hot temperature. And when I have it on 65, it's kind of just like...a luke warm breeze. Unless I hit auto and let it run for a while then make it come out the vents...then it's kind of cold. Also, sometimes when the headlights are on and the display is dimmed, it will randomly flash to being..undimmed...Can I just simply replace the unit, or is there more to it?

2. I think my alternator is shot (for the third time.) I commute to school every weekend, about 40 miles one way, and about half way through the trip a lot of times my battery and brake light start flickering, maybe staying solid for 30 seconds then going away and flickering for a while. Also, I have a sub and small amplifier hooked up but it doesn't seem to make a difference whether it's on or off (the amp.) I've noticed also that when I'm at a red light, not moving, the lights (dash and headlights) are all flickering, but when I start moving they usually stop. Again, this is with or without the amp on however the amp being on I think makes it slightly worse flickering. Battery problem, alt. problem?

3. My windshield is cracked like hell. What can I expect to pay to get it replaced?

4. My back seat has some stitches that have gotten torn apart (leather,) where can I take something like that to get it fixed before it gets worse?

5. Growing rust spot under my spoiler at one of the spots where it connects to the trunk. Started pretty small but this winter took a good toll on it...what can I do about something like that?

I can take pics of the seat and rust spot since that might be a little hard to tell...

Thank you for anyone with the patience to help me out, I appreciate it!
Old 04-12-2011, 11:16 AM

3. I got my windshield replaced last year for $140 installed. They came to my job and did it in the parking lot. Very convenient.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:41 AM

if u got auto ac then there is a lil sensor on the passenger side windshield frame that measures temp. U may need to replace it.

Alternators shouldnt blow that frequently. There is something else wrong, i think. U may need to clean grounds or replace cables or do the big three.

New windshileld? Prolly 300 or more. We on the org man..hit the JY and report back.

not sure where to go to repair leather

u can try to clean the rusted area and bondo it up. Or clear the area and buy some rust inhibitor.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:01 PM

You should include some more details on the car. For example if its a 95 with too many miles then it may just not be worth to fix all those problems right? it sounds like your car may get you stranded on a 40 mile trip if your alternators keep blowing out.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:14 PM

we need pics bro, cant help without them. sounds like its fixable.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:56 PM

U should probably get a higher rated alternator with more amperage output, and I would also recommend a grounding kit. Those two things may or may not fix the problem completely, but they will definitely help. good luck in getting everything fixed up man!
Old 04-13-2011, 02:24 PM

Alright, well the deal on the alternator is that the original alternator lasted a solid..12 years or so, cracked and almost exploded...weird situation. Got it replaced with a refurb from NAPA, with a very good warranty. That one started acting up a year later with the battery and brake light staying on, so I got another one with the warranty. My current one. Now it seems this one is dying though. Under warranty until December of this year. Not doing the same as the last where it held the two lights, but it's flickering from time to time. Seems to do it more when it's cold out. I'm getting it tested Friday.

Some more details on my max..it's a 96 SE, going on 200k miles here pretty quick. Never had any issues too serious, most expensive probably being the alternator the first time. I'm a college student, so I don't really have an option of not fixing it and getting another car at the moment, I'm riding this car out til she pukes for good.

140 sounds about right for a winshield, a friend of mine told me there's a place near me that will do one for 75 but I'm skeptical.

I'll snap some pictures of the rust spot and seat a little later.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:00 AM
ef9

For the rust spot, the only way to fix that is to sand the rust totally away, and to prime and repaint. If body work is involved, I would highly recommend using fiberglass reinforced filler, and spraying an epoxy primer over it. That way, you would have the best combination of being water resistant.

For the AUTO AC unit, when the light flickers, does the rest of your gauge cluster flickers too? I assume not, but just checking. If you download the FSM, it has step by step instructions on how to test the Auto AC unit. Be prepared to read a "novel" on how to troubleshoot it.

As for the sensor on the passenger side dashpad near the windshield, that is the sunload sensor.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:53 AM

I just did my windshield for 100. They gave me warranty. And it has no leak or anything.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:25 AM

new windshield for 100 bucks??????
Old 04-14-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by ef9
For the rust spot, the only way to fix that is to sand the rust totally away, and to prime and repaint. If body work is involved, I would highly recommend using fiberglass reinforced filler, and spraying an epoxy primer over it. That way, you would have the best combination of being water resistant.

For the AUTO AC unit, when the light flickers, does the rest of your gauge cluster flickers too? I assume not, but just checking. If you download the FSM, it has step by step instructions on how to test the Auto AC unit. Be prepared to read a "novel" on how to troubleshoot it.

As for the sensor on the passenger side dashpad near the windshield, that is the sunload sensor.
The flickering of my ac unit is separate from the rest. Its just random, doesnt happen too often. Ill have to find the fsm, what exactly does it entail to test it? Removal I presume?

And what is a sunload sensor?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by jonze5
I just did my windshield for 100. They gave me warranty. And it has no leak or anything.
were did u get that windshield at that price ?? im in new york city hook me up on that deal
Old 04-14-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Eyce
The flickering of my ac unit is separate from the rest. Its just random, doesnt happen too often. Ill have to find the fsm, what exactly does it entail to test it? Removal I presume?

And what is a sunload sensor?
The A/C testing is done in the car and is pretty easy - just follow the steps in the FSM. The lights are separate - there are four small bulbs that need to be replaced. The unit has to come out for that, but again it is not difficult. And the sunload sensor is the one an earlier poster mentioned up near the windshield frame.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 AM

No I get where it is but what is it exactly? Is it actually something I might need to replace?

And I have to clarify -- by lights flickering, I mean the display itself. The bulbs for the buttons have been out for years now, but lately the display has been flickering sometimes when it should be dimmed with the headlights being on, like the clock. Come to think of it though, I don't ever remember the AC display dimming with the headlights going on...just the clock...or am I losing it here??

And here are some pictures of the rust and seat. The seat picture I took from outside because I didn't have my keys on me but you can still see it pretty well.

http://img19.imageshack.us/i/2011041411004837.jpg/

http://img703.imageshack.us/i/20110414110058230.jpg/
http://img848.imageshack.us/i/20110414110111703.jpg/

Old 04-15-2011, 08:46 AM

[quote=Eyce;8011121]No I get where it is but what is it exactly? Is it actually something I might need to replace?

And I have to clarify -- by lights flickering, I mean the display itself. The bulbs for the buttons have been out for years now, but lately the display has been flickering sometimes when it should be dimmed with the headlights being on, like the clock. Come to think of it though, I don't ever remember the AC display dimming with the headlights going on...just the clock...or am I losing it here??[quote]

The AC needs to work harder to hold temp when the sun is beaming in; the "sunload sensor" provides that information to the climate control system. It can go bad. The FSM says that the car has to be in full sun for a while to get a true reading when running the diagnostic.

Great Q re display dimming - I don't remember if display itself dims w lights on!! And kid has car at college, so I can't get out and look.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:35 AM

Alright well I found the diagnostic novel, ill give it a try and post results
Old 04-15-2011, 10:07 AM

I got a new windshield installed by a mobile auto glass company here in jersey (not sure if they are national) diamond auto glass about 6 years ago and paid about 225 installed.

Best part about it was two guys came out to do it, but the one was so hungover from the night before he was passed out in the van the whole time so I gave the other guy a hand. I didn't mind as I got to learn how to replace a windshield. I'd go with the mobile auto glass solution for that. Very convenient as 98Maximo said.

The nice thing about our cars is we don't have any kind of defrost or antenna built into our windshields so the cost isn't too high in comparison to other cars.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:37 AM

So, havent had a chance to do the diagnostic...because my alt died on me after work yesterday. Had to get towed 2miles to my shop...i knew it was dying so I hauled trying to make it but got stopped short. So now shes in the shop, see what happens tomorrow.

Any reason that I could have gone through 3 alternators in 3 years? Given that the two after oem were NAPA refurbs, I find it hard to believe I have just have that bad of luck.