4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

found and fixed my mysterious dashboard rattle!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 02:32 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

found and fixed my mysterious dashboard rattle!

i spent the last month tackling this rattle after reading that thread by a fellow member on how to silence interior rattles with air conditioner weather seal foam. i had various rattles mainly situated in the front passenger area. i stuffed some between the dash and a-pillar, lined the glovebox mounting area, the glovebox "hinge" area, all the loose wires near the passenger airbag, behind the side window defroster and passenger airflow vents, and the b-pillar with much success.

however when i drive over washboard surfaces i would still get this cheap sounding rattle behind the dashboard near the a-pillar area. when i smack the dashboard above the airbag it would produce a "tinny" sound. so i did some investigating. i took out my glovebox and started probing with my hand behind the dashboard near that area. after a few bloody scrapes on the back of my hand i located my source of rattles- the side window defroster airflow tube! it is routed behind the airbag and situated very close to the dashboard itself. i stuffed long pieces of the A/C weatherstrip foam between the tube and the dashboard plus any possible contact points. now the rattle is completely gone!
Old 12-23-2001, 02:39 PM

My vin # plate rattles. Right by the A pillar of the driver side. The pillar rattles also.
Its a bish!!!!
Old 12-23-2001, 06:44 PM

Re: found and fixed my mysterious dashboard rattle!

Originally posted by Smooth Operator
i spent the last month tackling this rattle after reading that thread by a fellow member on how to silence interior rattles with air conditioner weather seal foam. i had various rattles mainly situated in the front passenger area. i stuffed some between the dash and a-pillar, lined the glovebox mounting area, the glovebox "hinge" area, all the loose wires near the passenger airbag, behind the side window defroster and passenger airflow vents, and the b-pillar with much success.

however when i drive over washboard surfaces i would still get this cheap sounding rattle behind the dashboard near the a-pillar area. when i smack the dashboard above the airbag it would produce a "tinny" sound. so i did some investigating. i took out my glovebox and started probing with my hand behind the dashboard near that area. after a few bloody scrapes on the back of my hand i located my source of rattles- the side window defroster airflow tube! it is routed behind the airbag and situated very close to the dashboard itself. i stuffed long pieces of the A/C weatherstrip foam between the tube and the dashboard plus any possible contact points. now the rattle is completely gone!
thanks sooo much for that right up, i have the exact same rattle, its kinda of a metal-metal type of rattling right? well thats what i have, i guess ill have to investigate myself with some weather stripping

thanks,
Anthony