4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Timing Seal Cover leak...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 10:00 AM
Lives in a 350Z

Timing Seal Cover leak...

A few days ago I noticed a small oil spot on my driveway.. so this morning I took it to the dealer to get let them look at it..from what they told me there are 4 seals that are leaking on the timing... they gave me labor charge of $1602.04 and a downtime of about 3 days. I highly doubt I will be getting it done at the dealer.. I'm calling other local shops.. has anyone ever had any such problems as this??

Also, should I just change my Timing Chain since their going to remove it?..

Chris.
Old 12-24-2001, 11:07 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

do you know where on the cover is leaking? are they replacing the cover or juss taking it off and reseal it? i had a hairline crack about 3" line on my timing cover, it is alot of work to change it, we ended up slapping ALOT of silcone sealer on it...seems to be ok at the moment..heeh
Old 12-26-2001, 08:28 PM
BillN

What did the "oil spot" liquid look like? What color was the fluid? Was it greasy? Did it have a smell?

Old 12-27-2001, 11:19 AM

I had the same problem yesterday at the dealership, they told me that my oil was leaking from the Timing Cover seal and it would be 20-22 hours of labor!!! I figured they were just trying to get over cause they just saw a little oil and knew where it was coming from without inestigating any further, it's not like you can see the seal that they said the oil was leaking from.

So I did a search and it seems as if quite a few people have had problems with their oil sending unit leaking which is located in the same area as the leak. So I'm hoping that's the problem.

If anyone else has had this problem(timing cover seal leak) or knows anything about it please let me know how much it was to get fixed and how many miles on it at the time of the problem.

Thanx in advance!!!
Old 12-27-2001, 05:11 PM
Lives in a 350Z

Yea I know... I took it up to a local shop and the guy said their just trying to frigg me over.. he said it could be just the crakcase cover seal which is like only $2 in parts... so tomorrow morning I'm taking it in to let them look at it I'll let you know the real problem...
Old 12-28-2001, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by maximumsport
Yea I know... I took it up to a local shop and the guy said their just trying to frigg me over.. he said it could be just the crakcase cover seal which is like only $2 in parts... so tomorrow morning I'm taking it in to let them look at it I'll let you know the real problem...
Which state do you live in, I asked because that is funny that you had the same thing happen around the same time. When I got home last night I had gotten some coupons from the dealership and it said "under new management". The dealership that I went to was Rosenthal Nissan in Gaithersburg Maryland. I kind of figured they had changed management or something because they were hounding me about doing this and doing that and they never had done that before and then they tell me about this T.C.S. leak. Needless to say I won't be going there any more.
Old 12-28-2001, 07:50 AM
Lives in a 350Z

Well,

I live in FL... I just got back from the local shop I took my car to he said its the Oil Sending unit, Crackcase needs resealing and the Secondary Oil pan needs a new gasket... plus he said he knows someone at my local nissan so he can get all parts cheap!!

DONT EVER TAKE THE DEALER SERIOUS!! DAMN RIP OFFS!!!!!!!!!!