4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

kyb strut mount bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:58 PM

kyb strut mount bearing?

i replaced both strut mount bearing with kyb but it seems i still get this creaking sound over bumps more so than when turning. strut mount themselves don't look bad.

i have an aftermarket strut tower bar off ebay. eibach springs on illuminas and no it is not the coils touching.

are kyb bearings just straight ****??
Old 05-20-2011, 06:16 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The bearing only comes into play when the strut assembly is turning.
If you've got noise over bumps, something else is causing it.

Is the upper spring perch clocked correctly? The word OUT stamped on top needs to be facing outwards on be in line with the struts lower mounting flange.

How are the lower control arm ball joints and bushings?
Also check the sway bar end links and the sway bar bushing themselves.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:04 AM

yes, kyb strut bearings suxor, shoulda gone with oem
Old 05-20-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The bearing only comes into play when the strut assembly is turning.
If you've got noise over bumps, something else is causing it.

Is the upper spring perch clocked correctly? The word OUT stamped on top needs to be facing outwards on be in line with the struts lower mounting flange.

How are the lower control arm ball joints and bushings?
Also check the sway bar end links and the sway bar bushing themselves.
ok now that you mention it, i think it could be the upper spring perch, i'm not sure if the last time i put them together i made sure it was lined up.

thanks ill check that out.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:39 AM

Last year I changed my struts to KYB and since it was cheaper I got the KYB bearing and mounts. Here were my results:
1. The mount fell apart when I took the car for the test drive while going from my driveway onto the road. Had to put back the originals which were not so bad.
2. I noticed the squeaking of the bearings the same day, especially when you turn your wheel on the spot. Bought OEM new ones.

All in all I had to disassemble and assemble the struts 3 times and now it has been a year without an issue. The good thing is that on the 3rd time I was doing the dissasembly/assembly for about 50 minutes each.

I would suggest you do the same.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:29 PM

well im not sure what could be causing the squeaking.
i took everything apart. the bearings are good.

i put wire wrap on the top portion of the coil. sway bar end links aren't busted.
i'm starting to think sway bar bushing ill probably check that next. any other ideas?

will the LCA cause squeaking?
Old 05-22-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by svezarov
Last year I changed my struts to KYB and since it was cheaper I got the KYB bearing and mounts. Here were my results:
1. The mount fell apart when I took the car for the test drive while going from my driveway onto the road. Had to put back the originals which were not so bad.
2. I noticed the squeaking of the bearings the same day, especially when you turn your wheel on the spot. Bought OEM new ones.
are you sure it wasn't a user error? i've swapped my wife's struts last weekend and no issues with kyb mounts.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:38 AM

I hear too many mixed reviews bout KYB in general. To me, the cost savings aint worth the headache.

Moog, OEM, Autozone ALWAYS good. I got the autozone mounts and all noise was eliminated.

EDIT:

But back on topic...

I had noise too when turning. I cant say exactly where the noise was coming from cuz i replace mounts, bearings, struts, and springs. Wrapped each coil with spiral wrap. Noise went away.

LCA busted will cause steering vibration and loud thuds riding over potholes.

Struts still good???

Last edited by cashoit; 05-23-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:52 AM

i replaced mounts and bearings with monroe parts. when i push down on the front passenger side strut i get this creaky noise that i'm almost certain comes from the strut area. no noise turning the wheel lock to lock.

i'm at a loss because the car drives great in general. when driving slowly over uneven pavement or bumps i'll get the noise sometimes from both sides which makes me think its bushings on the swaybar since they control movement as well..

i bought these struts used so i guess my next step is to replace them.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:14 PM

yeah man..struts prolly blown. what setting u on. Try to stiffen them up to decreas noise. But u also run a chance of blowing the struts more.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:10 PM

ok so i finally solved this really stupid problem...turns out the bumpstop moves on the strut and the noise is created by the friction from the bumpstop rubbing on the piston of the strut since its a tight fit. took some grease and smeared it on the piston...no more noise.

glad it was an easy fix just wish i had known before i spent money on new mounts and bearings.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 99zx2
are you sure it wasn't a user error? i've swapped my wife's struts last weekend and no issues with kyb mounts.
ehh. kyb bearing? i don't know, check this out: Uploaded with ImageShack.us wonder what was that noise that i kept hearing? lol got something from az as a substitute. the bearing had actual grease in it. the other side is still kyb, so i hope it lasts. about to type up a hateful message to 'em. When this ****er broke, it somehow put too much strain on the plate rivets (look how puffy they are) and one snapped after i tried taking that nut off the top mount... it was a fun day sourcing those rivets from my spare zx2 struts that i haven't sold (thank God). moral: buy oem or something besides kyb.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by 99zx2
ehh. kyb bearing? i don't know, check this out: Uploaded with ImageShack.us wonder what was that noise that i kept hearing? lol got something from az as a substitute. the bearing had actual grease in it. the other side is still kyb, so i hope it lasts. about to type up a hateful message to 'em. When this ****er broke, it somehow put too much strain on the plate rivets (look how puffy they are) and one snapped after i tried taking that nut off the top mount... it was a fun day sourcing those rivets from my spare zx2 struts that i haven't sold (thank God). moral: buy oem or something besides kyb.

Soooo i got the same problem... what did u do?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:52 PM

you mean what caused this or what the fix was? lol
bought some new bearings from autozone lol