4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

another problem...with idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 04:35 AM

ok this was wierd i decided to check and see if i have any CEL's again because i had none the last time...but this time it threw a 0304 which is a knock sensor....can a bad knock sensor cause a intermittent idle....i have never heard of one doing that.....this car is getting very wierd...will check engine codes again tomorrow see if the code comes up a again....
Old 07-11-2011, 05:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

knock sensor has nothing to do with your issue. Set the adjustment screw so that it is as far as it will go towards the thermo unit, and put a spacer of some sort between the two to kick the linkage off the high idle part of the cam.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:45 AM

so it the plunger is in means its on low idle and if it is out means its on high idle....im confused.....where should the plunger be when the car is warm???
Old 07-11-2011, 06:00 AM

which mark should it be on when cold and which mark when warm???
Old 07-11-2011, 06:08 AM

nevermind figured it out...im going to monitor this tomorrow....i think the plunger is my fault with my idle....cant wait to come closer to fixing this...because after this i am going to replace the knock sensor aswel....then i got a leak to fix on my oil pressure switch....ah the joys of buying a used car....oh well got it for a bargain so i will just try to fix everything that i can...phewww
Old 07-11-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by sparky1562
knock sensor has nothing to do with your issue. Set the adjustment screw so that it is as far as it will go towards the thermo unit, and put a spacer of some sort between the two to kick the linkage off the high idle part of the cam.
what do you mean by put a spacer???? do i want the plunger extended or more in???
Old 07-11-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by sleek3
what do you mean by put a spacer???? do i want the plunger extended or more in???
You really need to download the FSM. Fallonone has the link in his signature

This should help:

another problem...with idle-idle-cam-detail.jpg
Old 07-11-2011, 03:47 PM

well last night before i start messing with the screw...it only seems as if my spring is getting stuck so when its working properly i sprayed some hhs2000 from wurth spray grease which i sprayed some on the plunger aswell....hasnt hit an high idle yet...will test out for a few days and see how this goes if this doesnt work i will do as you said.....but i am going to source another TB in the process and strip it apart and clean everything including the plunger.....or get a new plunger...
Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 PM

well the car hasnt hit high idle yet....seem at one staged it wanted to but then dropped down...i think the spray grease worked for the time being...see how it goes later this after noon aswell......but its definitly my high idle cam thermo element...its only pushing the high idle cam about 1/4 inch and its not closing all the way aswell....so i will leave it like it is for now till i get around to getting a new one...
Old 07-12-2011, 03:56 AM

ok again with the bad news...it high idled again...BUT now i think its permanently fixed...i looked at a mates maxima i had a look at his screw on his high idle cam...his was screwed in alot more than mine and i mean alot more....so i screwed mine in...after heaps of swearing and throwing tools around because i have fat hands and its hard to fit even a small screwdriver in there...i screwed mine in as far as what his was.....

now my idle sits at 650 in D and 750 in P all the time........before even when it wasnt high idling my idles would fluctuate sometimes when i came to a stop it would be at 750 or 850 and it would be at 1000 in P but seems all to be true...lol....will test over the next couple of days and see if this has solved it...which i think it has...

thanks guys for your help
Old 07-12-2011, 06:42 AM

Well, time to throw a monkey wrench into this thread's diagnosis.

I have the exact same problem too!

Anyways, if I am coming to a stop from any good amount of speed, the car will idle at 1500 for a few seconds then work it's way back down to where-ever (even while moving).

To attempt to fix this I did the following:
-Clean IACV, Maf, TB

The issue kind of bothered me because if I was decellerating while in gear, I can feel the car hold 1500rpms and then it would slowly decelerate back down to idle, then apathy kicked in and dropped the issue.

Now, this is where things get fun

After the 6mt swap, I have been lazy about finishing up the loose ends, one of them being the park neutral sensor (The car does not know what gear it's in or if it's in neutral or not), and since I've done the swap, I have the same idle problem BUT! the Idle will NOT go down until I come to a complete stop.

Haven't cared enough to fool around and find out what the problem is, but there is some food for thought.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:39 PM

well test drove the car all around last night and it hasnt hit high idle...actually my idle is more accurate now.....now when i come to a stop it always sits at 650 if i put it in nuetral it idles at 750....whereas before it use to be different everytime i stopped somtimes it would be at 800 or 700 and always at 1000 in N or P......so mine is now resolved with doing everything i could think off before i started actually tinkering with screws...lol....
Old 07-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Well, time to throw a monkey wrench into this thread's diagnosis.

I have the exact same problem too!

Anyways, if I am coming to a stop from any good amount of speed, the car will idle at 1500 for a few seconds then work it's way back down to where-ever (even while moving).

To attempt to fix this I did the following:
-Clean IACV, Maf, TB

The issue kind of bothered me because if I was decellerating while in gear, I can feel the car hold 1500rpms and then it would slowly decelerate back down to idle, then apathy kicked in and dropped the issue.

Now, this is where things get fun

After the 6mt swap, I have been lazy about finishing up the loose ends, one of them being the park neutral sensor (The car does not know what gear it's in or if it's in neutral or not), and since I've done the swap, I have the same idle problem BUT! the Idle will NOT go down until I come to a complete stop.

Haven't cared enough to fool around and find out what the problem is, but there is some food for thought.
hope this helps you out mate

well this is what my high idle cam used to sit at even when the car was warm

this is what i adjusted....screw it in more to reach your idle desire, i set mine off what my mates high idle cam screw was set at ** this picture is a pic after i adjusted the screw**

now the best part....this is what my high idle cam sits at when its warm now after adjusting....

Last edited by sleek3; 07-12-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:43 PM

if you need anymore info on how to get to that screw without taking anything off let me know...it was a pain but i pulled it off...couldnt be bothered taking anything off...
Old 07-12-2011, 08:06 PM

Page 29 from FSM on adjusting High Idle Cam

Fast Idle Cam.pdf
Old 07-12-2011, 08:24 PM

thanks mate...lol..

oh yea....if your plunger is working properly what i have done may not work for you...just i think my throttle body has been taken apart in the past and they didnt redo any of the settings and there was even a white mark on the screw which lined up to what i set it to.....looks as if they forgot to do it and that is probably why i got my car for such a cheap price because the old owner couldnt figure it out...
Old 07-12-2011, 08:26 PM

but i am still going to look at getting another throttle body and keeping it as a spare....never know with these lol....
Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 PM

i also worked of this thread alot over the past few days...mine is set like his...im not too concerned if its a little bit out as long as teh dam idle stays down when its warm and doesnt move...mine is set almost like his but mine moves a bit further down as i would also run out of screw room as he did maybe aswell my thermo element has worn down......but good news is that i dont have this intermittent high idle anymore and car is smooth as a babys bottom and my idle stays the same when warm no matter what.....my cold idle goes up to 1300-1400 and goes down slowly as it warms up....then stays at 650

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...need-help.html

Last edited by sleek3; 07-12-2011 at 08:38 PM.