4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

0201 - No Ignition Signal

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

0201 - No Ignition Signal

Hi Guys,

Got this code but not sure what it means or where I should start looking...

Some other topics in this forum point to a bad ignition coil.. it could be that but want to make sure before I go to the expense...

Car cranks, starts but splutters, sometimes revs up to 2k rpm and them eventually dies.. Smells like fuel.

Probably is a coil pack, but I find it unusual that it's not being specific about which one...
Old 08-05-2011, 08:03 PM

I've replaced all coil packs and still have this issue.... help!!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by jordandalley
I've replaced all coil packs and still have this issue.... help!!

If you replaced all of them and its doing the same thing, then its one of your injectors. It is probably stuck open and flooding your cylinder. If you exhaust is emitting white smoke, its a sure sign of it. Fix it ASAP before it damages your o2 sensors and cat converter.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:29 PM

Not sure about that...

I am running 555cc deatschwerks injectors

I think it might have something to do with fuel. When the car starts it burbles away before eventually dying.

While it's going, my WB02 is measuring a measly 20 - 30 AFR.. its running really lean.

As you can tell, I'm supercharged.. I have the vortech inline trex fuel pump which I think may have failed.. or at least its relay.

I pulled the fuel line off it and cranked the car.. fuel dribbled out but didnt really have particularly much flow... is this normal?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:29 PM

How/when did the problem start. Just out of then blue? Were you working on the car? Fixing something? A little background may make it easier for someone to help you trouble shoot.

This code should have nothing to do with the fuel system or injectors. It's related to the signal that turns on the coil/power transistors. The ignition signal that "fires" each coil/transistor unit is not getting there. You probably are getting fuel but no spark.

The FSM has some good troubleshooting advise in the EC section begining with page 331

Diagnostic Trouble Code No. P1320 0201
Malfunction is detected when: The ignition signal in the primary circuit is not entered during engine cranking or running.
Check Items
(Possible Cause)
1) Harness or connectors (The ignition primary circuit is open or shorted.)
2)Power transistor unit built into ignition coil (that would mean bad coil pack)
3) Condenser
4) Crankshaft position sensor (REF)
5)Crankshaft position sensor (REF) circuit

I believe you should have 12V at all 6 coil packs red wire terminal 1 when you turn the ignition switch to on.
The FSM does not mention it but the ignition switch is a slim possiblity. Rule it out if you can.

Last edited by Nopike; 08-06-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:46 PM

Thanks for your comments... but the plot thickens on this one. I don't have any background on this sorry... the car was running great, then quite simply just crapped out. I hadn't done anything or modified the car in months, so in saying this I have nothing to go by... just the code.

So far, I have:

1) Removed and replaced every coil pack
2) Removed and replaced the crankshaft position sensor
3) There is another sensor (I believe this could be a cam angle sensor???) which is located under the pulleys. I have replaced this also.
4) When I removed the two sensors, I checked for a slight voltage. There was, which is good. The same as another working Maxima I have.

I will check to see if +12V is getting to each coil pack.

Where is the condenser?

Car starts, but in order to keep it alive I have to hold the revs up a bit before it completely dies. I was able to move it up my driveway this morning.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:31 PM

SOLVED:

After all that it was quite disappointing really.....

Turns out my PCV pipe has burst. I only noticed it because I moved it and it fell apart in my hands... Once reconnected she was back to her normal self..

Still doesnt explain the code.. but I suppose a massive vac leak like that could cause a misfire..
Old 08-15-2011, 09:47 AM
KH3 by popular demand

The name of the part that could cause the code is called the igniter condenser, it is on the harness to the right on the front coil pack harness. All it is is a capacitor, .50uf (microfarads) I believe. If you are using emanage blue with the ignition harness you could get this code also. DandyMax wrote up a fix for this, it is in his emanage ultimate write-up.

Condenser