4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

smoke (uh oh) help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:11 PM

smoke (uh oh) help!

today i cleaned my engine bay out because it was nasty. btw, this has been a problem before i cleaned the bay. i turned the car on and let it run for a while and the white smoke came back. its from the top left corner of the engine towards the fire wall. kind of like burnt rubber and maybe antifreeze (i hope not) i let it run and the smoke slowly started to go away. about 20 mins later it was hardly visible but i still smelled something burning so i cut the car off. slowly losing my patience with this car what do you guys think it could be?. no overheating, no white smoke from exhaustno weird idling everythings good its just that i see that smoke and i know there no way in hell i can pass emissions with that going on.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:12 PM

sounds like most likely coolant or oil is leaking somewhere and hitting a hot section of the engine and smoking
Old 10-08-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
sounds like most likely coolant or oil is leaking somewhere and hitting a hot section of the engine and smoking
so would that be a bad gasket? im gonna end up taking it to a shop im just trying to prepare for the worst (and sell it)
Old 10-08-2011, 09:15 PM

should i check my spark plugs?
Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 PM

could be alot of things, depends if its oil or coolant but if it smells sweet, its probably coolant. see if any coolant lines are leaking, your reservoir is leaking, etc

checking your spark plugs can check for a bad valve cover gasket, if you have oil on your plugs you most likely need to replace the valve cover gasket but i think somethings dripping coolant and its burning
Old 10-09-2011, 12:54 AM

Might sound crazy, but did you use de-greaser on the engine? Could that possibly be the smell and the water evaporating being the steam/smoke confusion? I ask because this happened to me.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:50 AM

There is a hose behind the upper intake manifold (firewall). It's a pass through hose that loops right below the top of the EGR tube. Antifreeze/coolant runs through this hose, if it cracks, splits, slips off, or gets pinched it will spill coolant over the rear headers causing it to burn and smoke. Check this hose to make sure it's doing it's job properly and isn't damaged or pinched. It's a pain to get to the loop part of the hose. You'll probably have to remove the entire intake to check it properly. If your hand is small enough you can squeeze your hand between the firewall and the intake manifold and feel for the hose to see if it's leaking. Careful not to do this while the car has been running at normal operating temperature or the manifold and leaking coolant could burn you.

The intake manifold is removed in this picture but it at least gives you an idea of where the bottom of the hose is located.

I had to replace mine with a junkyard replacement after re doing my valve cover gaskets. It was cracked and after I put everything back together it started smoking like crazy because it was spilling over on the headers.

I'd check this first, hopefully it's this rather then something more serious. Hope this helps.

Last edited by infinimax96; 10-09-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:02 AM

i guess im lucky as i have had coolant leaks and no smoke. there's a coolant bypass hose that sits in the middle underneath the air box that leaks on mine but no smoke. could be oil or coolant dripping on your exhaust and burning off as well.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
There is a hose behind the upper intake manifold (firewall). It's a pass through hose that loops right below the top of the EGR tube. Antifreeze/coolant runs through this hose, if it cracks, splits, slips off, or gets pinched it will spill coolant over the rear headers causing it to burn and smoke. Check this hose to make sure it's doing it's job properly and isn't damaged or pinched. It's a pain to get to the loop part of the hose. You'll probably have to remove the entire intake to check it properly. If your hand is small enough you can squeeze your hand between the firewall and the intake manifold and feel for the hose to see if it's leaking. Careful not to do this while the car has been running at normal operating temperature or the manifold and leaking coolant could burn you.

The intake manifold is removed in this picture but it at least gives you an idea of where the bottom of the hose is located.

I had to replace mine with a junkyard replacement after re doing my valve cover gaskets. It was cracked and after I put everything back together it started smoking like crazy because it was spilling over on the headers.

I'd check this first, hopefully it's this rather then something more serious. Hope this helps.

does that tube run all the way to the left side of the engine bay because thats where the smoke is coming from. its not the degreaser burning off because it was doing that b4 i cleaned the engine bay. its just alot less smoke than b4 after letting it run im gonna post a pic in about a hour showing where its coming from
Old 10-09-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by mayweathers82
does that tube run all the way to the left side of the engine bay because thats where the smoke is coming from. its not the degreaser burning off because it was doing that b4 i cleaned the engine bay. its just alot less smoke than b4 after letting it run im gonna post a pic in about a hour showing where its coming from
Yes that tube takes a 90 deg bend in that left corner were you're getting smoke.

The valve cover gasket on bank 1 is common to leak in that corner. That would cause oil to drip off on the header but it wouldn't smell sweat like you're describing.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:05 PM

problem solved!!!!
ok as far as antifreeze smell i was way off (cuz im sick -_-) but basically the prev. owner put a patch on the power steering hose instead of replacing it and the pressure cracked the seal and thats the smell im getting and when i cleaned my engine bay i guess the powersteering fluid that leaked and dried up slowly slid down the hose which gave me the whole backside smoke issue and yep powersteering fluid hits exhaus and smoke was created. i replaced the hose and waited and yep its gone! thank you guys so much for the quick responses to my problem maxima.org forever!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:18 PM

yes, i know we're awesome...
Old 10-10-2011, 11:21 PM

Who the hell patches a $1 hose? you could probably even go to a local junkyard and pocket a hose. Not sure what that person was thinking. Regardless, glad you figured it out and got it fixed.