4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rusting...again

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:31 PM

Rusting...again

Anyone have any experience with removing the undercoating on our cars? I have a few rust spots that I'm going to be taking care of, and I read different methods online, ranging from simple heat gun to aircraft stripper and angle grinder with wire wheel...

EDIT:
Here is the older thread that I could not find that was floating around on here: Almost one year ago!
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...loorboard.html

Last edited by Maximeltman; 11-04-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:59 AM

I've used a wire wheel before. It's tough stuff so if you could soften it up a bit with some sort of solvent, that would expedite the removal process.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:13 AM

i had a rusting area on the rear tire wheel well, where the doors meets the wheel well. Entire area was starting to crap out.

I went to autozone and bought bondo, sandpaper, wire mesh to cover the affected area ( the affected area was about size of a golf ball), and spray paint.

Started by cleaning the area with soap and water. Dry. Sand area to smooth edges and clean any residuals. Adhere wire mesh to the area Then apply bondo as directed on the can. Let dry. Spray paint a few coats. no more rust
Old 10-19-2011, 09:16 AM

As far as I know the rust will never come off. Even if you sand it away it will come back.

I had some rust on the inner wheel well of my quarter panel on my Camaro. I sanded it all away, primered and painted it only to have it come back some months later.

My friend who is a painter at a body shop said it's like a cancer you never can truly get rid of.

He said you can sand it away and coat with por 15 or something, then paint over that to help slow it down.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:21 AM

a friend of mine ryno lined parts of his quarter panels (on the underside) and he said that works good cuz it keeps the elements off the paint and metal. Thats worth a shot
Old 10-19-2011, 03:50 PM

OK thank you dudes! I just went to Harbor Freight and bought a multitool...about $30.00. this seems like a good method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzv38W1DDic
I'll post about how it works in a few days or so.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:09 PM

if it is just a small area you can use a steel brush to brush the area. or you can prep it with rust dissolving gel sold by our local auto part stores and then use a steel brush follows with a product like rust bullet, por15 or rust converter. these rust fighting products are sticky and the color will really stick to your hands so wear gloves.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
Anyone have any experience with removing the undercoating on our cars? I have a few rust spots that I'm going to be taking care of, and I read different methods online, ranging from simple heat gun to aircraft stripper and angle grinder with wire wheel...
I've had rusting under my left rear door for quite a while now. I had it sanded down and painted but it only slowed it down.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:09 PM

it only slowed it down because they didnt fix it right. if you sand down to bare metal and use proper corrosion protection it shouldnt rust again. you need a proper PRIMER SURFACER as well as a PRIMER SEALER. then base coat and most importantly 3 layers atleast of clearcoat. not enough clearcoat will cause your paint to peel from the sun! leading to rust.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:53 PM

ok im in the process, and i just sanded to bare metal, coated w rust encapsulator. check out my older post:
Actually search dont work atm so I cant post it but I had an old thread about this same ****.
So while I'm down there under the car, I decided to attack most of the suspect looking rust, I'm just taking it down to BM by grinding or sanding. then coating. Then I'm just putting on sound deadener/undercoat
this is what I wioll be using:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270588079185...84.m1439.l2649
The patch job that I did about a year ago using the same process is still looking good.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:48 PM

Only way to rid rust permanantly is to cut out said cancerous section and weld in new metal...
Old 10-22-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
Only way to rid rust permanantly is to cut out said cancerous section and weld in new metal...
wrong. sandblasting works. unless the metal is so rusted its unsalvageable.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE

as a autobody tech i would have to agree and even if u sand blast it ur still gonna have to weld so he is still right lol
Old 10-23-2011, 12:56 PM

meh, were all just saying rust. as if theres only one kind. depends how bad it is.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
meh, were all just saying rust. as if theres only one kind. depends how bad it is.
+1 exactly. There's different stages kinda like burns lol.
Underneath, I got some mild surface rust, I'll just sand and paint that.
I also have '3rd degree' rust that's like rust-through, that needs to be cut out and either fg or welded. I'll probably go fg.
I'm also applying sound deadener to the floor, it's fatmat liquid deadener. I notice too much road noise so this is an opportunity to adress it.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:33 PM

i havent used the liquid stuff, but my trunk is lined with fatmat RATTLETRAP. which is the thicker quality stuff they make. and i highly recommend fatmat. same quality as dynamat i feel.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:42 PM

Do you have subs in back? I'm plannin on one 12" SSA XCON.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:41 AM

yeah ive got 2 kenwood 12s in the back. i definitely noticed being able to hear deeper tones, and all around more of my bass that was being wasted before.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
yeah ive got 2 kenwood 12s in the back. i definitely noticed being able to hear deeper tones, and all around more of my bass that was being wasted before.
2 12s?? talk about no trunk space .

My boy picked up a lil 8in sub, JL audio. I was surprised how hard that lil 8in hit.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
2 12s?? talk about no trunk space .

My boy picked up a lil 8in sub, JL audio. I was surprised how hard that lil 8in hit.
probably an 8w3v2 or 8w6...those are good lil subwoofers.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:20 PM

lol yeah ive never used my trunks for storage, since i turned 16 and got my first car.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:04 PM

ok, some updates:
If you want to do this yourself, I suggest good preparation. Gloves, sanders, eye protection and mask, etc. A drill really is your friend.
This is what I found lurking silently under the dead pedal and passenger side:

the repairs I did the same for passenger side, just didn't want to post any more photos:

The rear; These drain tubes have a metal coupler that is apparently prone to rust, then it will break apart, channeling all the water into the tool compartment instead of out the car. this is by the muffler:

then repaired, sorta.

Lots of pics, sorry. But this I hope will give you some motivation to at least CHECK before it gets too late.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:35 AM

damn bro, that is a def a rusting problem
Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 AM

wow. look at that drainage tube. what a piece of ****.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:31 PM

The coupler connecting my rear drain tubes rusted away also. The inner side of my right quarter got rusted away. I tracked it down after noticing the right quarter bubbling on the lip.

I fixed the outisde bubbles but haven't gotten around to fixing the inside rust yet. What material did you use to patch the rusted section near the muffler?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:23 PM

You should cut out the bad rust, and I patched it with fiberglass and resin. Its still not 100% sealed I plan to put undercoat on there and make it water tight.
Yes the couple is really a big POS but at least it's been looked at and I plan to cut the **** out and use another type of coupler maybe pvc or something
Old 11-03-2011, 09:03 PM

Rust

Wow, those are tough conditions that those Maximas must be facing, lots of road salt. I've worked on lots of older cars and that is typical, but the metal in the Maximas is at least galvanized. Sounds like you are treating it properly, you have to get it all and then treat the bare metal with the correct primer right away, or it will start back in. I've used Eastwood products to seal other cars, especially the oxide paint, and not had any problems. Por 15 is good too.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:48 AM

^ True that MikeB!
Just got off work. When I took on this project, I took off my Progress rear sway bar as it was too rusted to $#it...I sanded it down and painted it, but I never put it back on and now, it seems that my car takes turns much better
I mean, when I had it on, the car would squeal when taking sharp 90 degree turns at moderate speed. Now I don't get that loud squeal anymore, and the car just feels more planted. I don't know.
It's about time to snow here in the midwest, being from Cali, it really sucks a$$ but oh well. The car is much better suited for the weather and salt now
Old 11-04-2011, 06:51 AM

You should cut out the bad rust, and I patched it with fiberglass and resin. Its still not 100% sealed I plan to put undercoat on there and make it water tight.
Yes the couple is really a big POS but at least it's been looked at and I plan to cut the **** out and use another type of coupler maybe pvc or something
I cut out the rust and sprayed it with rust converter then rubberized coating. My hole is much bigger than yours so I'll probably weld a peice of sheet metal on it.

I removed that power antenna so I won't have to worry about that coupler rusting away again. I never listen to AM and the BOSE windshield antenna gets all the local FM stations. I patched up the antenna hole with fiberglass inside and filler outside. I didn't recognize your filling as fiberglass because mine was a darker yellow.

Due to rust I had to replace both fenders, heavily sanded down the rocker panels, and I welded on a peice of bent L-shaped sheet metal to both rear wheel lips. Driving back-and-forth over the berkshire mountains to get to work has done a number on my MAX.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:13 PM

That looks really bad
Old 11-04-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by jholley
I cut out the rust and sprayed it with rust converter then rubberized coating. My hole is much bigger than yours so I'll probably weld a peice of sheet metal on it.

I removed that power antenna so I won't have to worry about that coupler rusting away again. I never listen to AM and the BOSE windshield antenna gets all the local FM stations. I patched up the antenna hole with fiberglass inside and filler outside. I didn't recognize your filling as fiberglass because mine was a darker yellow.

Due to rust I had to replace both fenders, heavily sanded down the rocker panels, and I welded on a peice of bent L-shaped sheet metal to both rear wheel lips. Driving back-and-forth over the berkshire mountains to get to work has done a number on my MAX.
hold on here...Bose windshield antenna? Is that an option add-on or do I have one? I don't listen to AM either, not until I turn 60 anyway
And yea, I hear your pain bro!
Old 11-04-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by muthiahmerchant
That looks really bad
If only I still lived in NorCal...
There wouldn't be half of this rust **** on my Maxima.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:51 PM

hold on here...Bose windshield antenna? Is that an option add-on or do I have one? I don't listen to AM either, not until I turn 60 anyway
And yea, I hear your pain bro!
If you have a BOSE stero system then you'll have a windsheild antenna. It's the top 3 lines in the windshield. You'll see them seperate from the rear defroster lines. To test the BOSE antenna unplug both wires from the power antenna.