4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

search sucks right now. question about catalytic converters

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 03:38 PM

search sucks right now. question about catalytic converters

the search doesnt work for me right now when i try so im gonna ask in a new thread.

what cat can i buy that isnt going to make my car sound ricey as **** with bees in the can. i currently have the ebay 2.5" catback exhaust with the 4" tip, NWP spacers, and fender well CAI.

im waiting on my cattman y-pipe to come in, at which time im gonna replace the cat rather than have to jack it up and grind the old bolts off to put the y-pipe in. itd be cool to go with hi-flow aftermarket but if OEM is my only option then let me know.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:58 PM

Test Pipe it, cheap, sounds good, free's up the exhaust a tiny bit.

If not, Iv'e heard magnaflow cats are good
Old 10-23-2011, 05:23 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
the search doesnt work for me right now when i try so im gonna ask in a new thread.
This is common knowledge, but - use Google to search. For instance: " catalytic converter site:maxima org " This usually works pretty well if you use the right key words.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:51 PM

wouldnt that throw codes for not having the cat iirc dont we have a o2 sensor behind the cat? and for op just about any exhaust on a v6 isnt going to necesarrily sound like a fart can
Old 10-23-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by beatdown97
wouldnt that throw codes for not having the cat iirc dont we have a o2 sensor behind the cat? and for op just about any exhaust on a v6 isnt going to necesarrily sound like a fart can
I have no cat. I have no code. What I did was I welded 3 nuts together the same diameter as the O2 sensors screw. I screwed the 02 sensor in and that was that.

What this does is it provides the 02 sensor with clean air all the time fooling it into thinking the Cat is working.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:11 PM

word ima try the magnaflow maybe. im in jersey so im tryin to have a legit o2 sensor.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:22 PM

word ima try the magnaflow maybe. im in jersey so im tryin to have a legit o2 sensor.
Emissions are a b*tch. My car is registered in Florida, no emissions there. So I get away with it in Colorado hah
Old 10-23-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by beatdown97
yeah but i remember a thread where this kid had his megan racing catback installed and because of his hi flow cat i believe his setup sounded like bee farts.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:36 AM

Hi-flow cats are a gimmick. Jus go OEM or aftermarket OEM. If u really trying to save a buck then get the magnaflow. They are cheaper than OEM cat.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by 95Maxed
I have no cat. I have no code. What I did was I welded 3 nuts together the same diameter as the O2 sensors screw. I screwed the 02 sensor in and that was that.

What this does is it provides the 02 sensor with clean air all the time fooling it into thinking the Cat is working.
Yo maxed,

Im not gettin what u did to the cat.

Are u saying u welded 3 nuts together then welded that onto the test pipe, but did NOT cut a hole in the test pipe. Then screwed in the O2 sensor in. So effectively the o2 isnt reading exhaust, its jus reading air???
Old 10-24-2011, 07:42 AM

i think you still need to cut the pipe but the nuts make the 02 sensor up away from most of the exhaust so it still reads good because its not in the direct stream of exhaust
Old 10-24-2011, 08:37 AM

word i know that hiflow cats dont make power really, just noise.

which is why i made this thread cuz i didnt want to add any ****ty noise to my setup which i think actually sounds pretty good. so magnaflow will pretty much keep the sound of the stock cat?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:08 AM

yeah but i remember a thread where this kid had his megan racing catback installed and because of his hi flow cat i believe his setup sounded like bee farts.
No, I remember that kid. It was the Megan exhaust and the Y Pipe that made it do that.

Originally Posted by cashoit
Yo maxed,

Im not gettin what u did to the cat.

Are u saying u welded 3 nuts together then welded that onto the test pipe, but did NOT cut a hole in the test pipe. Then screwed in the O2 sensor in. So effectively the o2 isnt reading exhaust, its jus reading air???
Exactly, effectively my rear 02 sensor is reading nothing but clean air from outside the exhaust. When you screw it into 3-4 nuts it blocks the sensor and overloads it making it think the exhaust gas is clean.

Originally Posted by gen4maxrehab
i think you still need to cut the pipe but the nuts make the 02 sensor up away from most of the exhaust so it still reads good because its not in the direct stream of exhaust
You can do it either way.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:29 AM

Hi-flow cats are a gimmick

which is why i made this thread cuz i didnt want to add any ****ty noise to my setup which i think actually sounds pretty good. so magnaflow will pretty much keep the sound of the stock cat?
Proof of the statements in bold guys? Or are you just respewing .org myths?

If you don't have a crappy catback your exhaust won't sound crappy.

True story.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Proof of the statements in bold guys? Or are you just respewing .org myths?

If you don't have a crappy catback your exhaust won't sound crappy.

True story.
Damn Aack mang u always callin ppl out lol.

I based my statement on the fact that magnaflow is leading manufacturer of aftermarket cats, and they do NOT state that there is any HP increase with using their product. Its an OEM replacement.

A test pipe would be a different conversation

EDIT:

Is there a such thing as a crappy catback?? Or are u referring to a catback with no resonator. Now thats crappy. Up here in MAss, loud exhaust is a No-no with the po-po lol

Last edited by cashoit; 10-24-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:53 AM

My boy has a magnaflow. He bought it cuz he need a cat and it is the most cost effective option. He already had a catback on the car and i didnt get a chance to hear the before and afters. I only hrd his exhaust after the new cat was installed.

I wd call maganflow and ask them. I dont think it will make any more noise than OEM tho.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

If u really trying to save a buck then get the magnaflow. They are cheaper than OEM cat.
If he was trying to save a buck, realistically he should simply grind off the rusty bolts, knock out the stud and reuse the OE cat on his car which is probably not in bad shape at all.

Total costs aside from time, would be SS nuts and bolts to attach his OE cat to his new exhaust system.

Been there, done that 2x in 183K miles.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:10 PM

damn NJ man, thats REALLY how u save a buck lol.

Yo Genius, NJ makes a good point. If the old Cat isnt busted jus reuse it.

DId a quick ebay search and the magnaflow only 70 bucks. But u in Jersey man, they dont have noise laws there for inspection??
Old 10-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Got Retrofit?

I just got a Bosal replacement and had no problems there. My old cat had a hole in the bottom of it and it's still rusted onto my stock catback lol
Old 10-24-2011, 04:02 PM

if money was an issue, yeah, i would reuse my old cat. but i dont feel like crawling under my car and grinding the entire nut and stud off, and then tapping it out. if i had a lift thatd be another story. im the one who did that to the rear cat bolts, so i know how bad my front ones are.

so yeah, buying a new cat and saving a headache.

so how much noise does the magnaflow make exactly? shouldnt be much? as of last year jersey only has emissions inspection. so as long as i pass emissions 100% then im good. no noise laws.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:42 AM

Damn Aack mang u always callin ppl out lol.

I based my statement on the fact that magnaflow is leading manufacturer of aftermarket cats, and they do NOT state that there is any HP increase with using their product. Its an OEM replacement.

Is there a such thing as a crappy catback?? Or are u referring to a catback with no resonator. Now thats crappy. Up here in MAss, loud exhaust is a No-no with the po-po lol
Trying to put a stop to .org myths one at a time, I once believed in all of them, not any more.....

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

I say this because my high flow cat has a lot more area in it and you can actually see light from the other side.

shouldnt be much? as of last year jersey only has emissions inspection. so as long as i pass emissions 100% then im good. no noise laws.
Straight piped (no cats what so ever) vehicles (including Maximas) pass emissions test (in TX we have the dyno test for 95's) IF (when I say IF, I mean IF) the car is running properly.

I do not know how stringent NJ is when it comes to the test but there's two here.... Idle they take measurements of harmful 'ish, and then @ 20mph they take another measurement, if your car is below certain #'s it passes.

But NJ could be like Cali, meaning they take the emissions stuff seriously and not just a way to jack money from state residents, so what I said doesn't matter and you really need to have a working cat, and now we're talking in circles....

Last edited by aackshun; 10-25-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:09 AM

we are talking in circles, but let me inform you that nj is damn close to cali emissions tests if they arent the same. you also cant have a CEL, regardless of what the code is.

so looks like im buying a magnaflow. but that shouldnt stop people from talking in circles.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:07 AM

we are talking in circles, but let me inform you that nj is damn close to cali emissions tests if they arent the same. you also cant have a CEL, regardless of what the code is.

so looks like im buying a magnaflow. but that shouldnt stop people from talking in circles.
Keep the old cat, fail emissions solely based on the cat. I know in Colorado if you fail emissions the state will give you money to help you fix the problem. Maybe its the same in NJ?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 AM

absolutely not lol i just passed inspection this year in june.
but they do give you up to 40 days to fix the problem, and when you come back you go to the head of the line.

but like i said def not keeping the old cat, cuz i know how bad those bolts are. and im saving myself hours of awkward *** angle grinding with one arm.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:28 AM

Keep the old cat, fail emissions solely based on the cat. I know in Colorado if you fail emissions the state will give you money to help you fix the problem. Maybe its the same in NJ?
That is awesome!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 AM

def is. i would never sweat inspection again. in nj when its inspection time we all think jesus how much is it gonna cost me this time.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

NO....FREAKING.......WAY

Not in NJ, NY...and probably any state in the northeast. This part of the country wants people to stop using cars, so they make 'em pay. Way too many cars over here.

DW
Old 10-25-2011, 12:11 PM

im actually surprised they dont make us pay to be inspected in nj.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by VisciousMo
That is awesome!
Originally Posted by dwapenyi
NO....FREAKING.......WAY

Not in NJ, NY...and probably any state in the northeast. This part of the country wants people to stop using cars, so they make 'em pay. Way too many cars over here.

DW
Yup haha, so to get around having a test pipe, you gut your cat, put the pipe in it and bolt it back on. If you do that and you fail, the look under the car, see the "stock cat" and send you on your way with a voucher to get it fixed

Edit: they wont give you money if they see that any emissions equipment has been messed with
Old 10-25-2011, 04:22 PM

my Fastcat HFC is raspy. I want to get a test pipe
Old 10-25-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by VisciousMo
my Fastcat HFC is raspy. I want to get a test pipe
heh, ive got a test pipe. No rasp, its amazing.