4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

P0400 egr probs

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:29 PM

P0400 egr probs

sup dudes, just fixed my ignition coils, plugs and installed MAF adapter and K&N cone filter. Within a few hundred miles my max threw a P0400 code at me. soooooo i have the day off tomorrow and plan on cleaning that EGR tube that i have read about maybe its just clogged. My questions are...how do i tell if the solenoid is bad? just turn the ignition on/off and look for movement? should i clean my IACV at the same time? and if so can you point me to a good write-up on it...thanks so much!

just bought this car a few weeks back 165k not sure of its history at all, does not appear to of been taken care of very well in the past....

The only symptom is an extended crank when it is cold....just takes a bit to fire, oil pressure light flickers and stumbles to an idle, then its good to roll...no power loss or anything. This only happens on a COLD start....

Last edited by ncmaxvq; 11-29-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 PM

nevermind...i did some extensive searching and found the info i was looking for as far as cleaning the iacv. Looks super easy...just need to know if this extended crank could have anything to do with the EGR system...please help your newbie brother out
Old 11-29-2011, 09:15 PM

clean your TB while your're in there.

have you checked the battery terminals and connections?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Banned

Nice topic and very helpful informations!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by bkbajan
clean your TB while your're in there.

have you checked the battery terminals and connections?
Cleaned TB last week and all terminals and grounds. Cleaned IACV and EGR tube today. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought...the tube was packed FULL of carbon and clogged. My idle has improved but still extended crank when cold. My next step is to add a ground to the knock sensor.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ncmaxvq
sup dudes, just fixed my ignition coils, plugs and installed MAF adapter and K&N cone filter. Within a few hundred miles my max threw a P0400 code at me. soooooo i have the day off tomorrow and plan on cleaning that EGR tube that i have read about maybe its just clogged. My questions are...how do i tell if the solenoid is bad? just turn the ignition on/off and look for movement? should i clean my IACV at the same time? and if so can you point me to a good write-up on it...thanks so much!

just bought this car a few weeks back 165k not sure of its history at all, does not appear to of been taken care of very well in the past....

The only symptom is an extended crank when it is cold....just takes a bit to fire, oil pressure light flickers and stumbles to an idle, then its good to roll...no power loss or anything. This only happens on a COLD start....
Check this link for easy how to EGR cleaning:
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...g-dummies.html

I did my 96 maxima today, wow what a difference, got ride od KSZ code and EGR code...
Newb here so not sure how to post the pics, but both ends were clogged shut and cleaned ports to intake and block. Also TBI cleaning . basicly followed the link above instructions. Wow ther difference is amazing. No stalls or misses. Had a bad coilpack. prevcious owner did a epoxy fix, LOL REDneck shop.. Brian
Old 12-01-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by brianswz
Check this link for easy how to EGR cleaning:
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...g-dummies.html

I did my 96 maxima today, wow what a difference, got ride od KSZ code and EGR code...
Newb here so not sure how to post the pics, but both ends were clogged shut and cleaned ports to intake and block. Also TBI cleaning . basicly followed the link above instructions. Wow ther difference is amazing. No stalls or misses. Had a bad coilpack. prevcious owner did a epoxy fix, LOL REDneck shop.. Brian
Yeah i did mine yesterday also and actually used that link also. Mine was clogged with junk too. Car idles much smoother and no more code but still have extended crank before it fires when cold...