4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Best Lowering Combo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

B G doesnt drop your car enough before I buy my any other springs I d consider dropzones sprint or even coilovers. Sexima I am very happy with my ride and my cut spring drop. Vyrus are you happy with your ride with sprints. I rode in Cumalots car and we went on a bumpy road they ride just fine. I think people are spring Bias, bottom line a Maxima dropped below 1.75 looks very nice. As for for bumpy roads you can not beat New Orleans with the bumps and potholes, trust me on this one. Why you think in another post WOPE said dont you guys scrape and we replied no. Like I said before Sexima look at the different type of drops because if your picky and want your car to look nice, after days of staring at the fenderwell gap youll get mad and frustrated and now you spent the money.

Just dont let the fenderwell police get you too in the future. And as for coilovers you can always jack up the car in snowy weather and your back to nearly stock height.
tell me where to shop buddy. I like the way your car looks and if you say you like your ride, I'll take your word for it.
how did you cut the springs?
herm... Just tell me all the things you did.
and is it hard to raise the car up?
Old 01-02-2002, 06:50 PM
MaximaRversion2

Originally posted by Sexima

tell me where to shop buddy. I like the way your car looks and if you say you like your ride, I'll take your word for it.
how did you cut the springs?
herm... Just tell me all the things you did.
and is it hard to raise the car up?
havent you ever changed a tire ?? its the same thing ...

Old 01-02-2002, 07:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Where do I shop well got my springs from Summit racing for $205.00, thats for the intrax as for a really good deals go the for sale part of this site youll find many good deals here. Sprint can vouch for that if he reads this. This site is the reason why my car looks like this thanks to the helping members like Sprint, Mardigrasmax, clee, medicsonic, Vyrus and many more...

you can get some springs from one of these guys for a mighty cheap price. Choice of springs that would be your choice not my. Cutting a spring well first you have to get a spring and I can walk you thru it or if you dont want to do it Ill do you a big favor Ill ship the way bill you ship your springs next day air at my expense I cut them and then I ship back to you next day air or 2nd day air. Also I will only cut only one coil off the spring depending on the one you get if your not happy with your drop. If your coils touch each other whether it be the top coils or bottom ones just let me know and I can guide myself with that. Sprints dont sit right in the rear then send them this way Ill cut two coils and youll have an even drop. And to answer your last question for coilovers since they are height adjustable you dont need to cut just lift the car as the guy above posted loosen the locking mechanism and turn the metal perch on the bottom of the spring and it youll see the spring lower itself.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:10 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

do you guys know if Ground Control is making coilovers that will eventually fit the KYB AGX? i know a few of the .org members had to custom fit the KYBs with GCs.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by KrZyMaX
do you guys know if Ground Control is making coilovers that will eventually fit the KYB AGX? i know a few of the .org members had to custom fit the KYBs with GCs.
I have GC + AGX, there was no modification needed, it fit perfect
Old 01-02-2002, 10:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Best Lowering Combo?

Originally posted by Sexima
I am going to lower my car after I get some rims.
and I have to get the price range so I know how much money to collect.
I was wondering what the best Springs, Shocks, and Struts COMBO was?
do I need anything eles?
Because I am trying to install everything in at once so I don't have to install them 3 times at a shop.
^^ help please. Thanks

P.S: Put the prices up and where to get them if possible.
Recommend Custommaxima.com
JIC coilovers...i think the fully adjustable ones are around $1800. it's kinda expensive but worth every penny.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:18 AM
MaximaRversion2

Southwest Autoworks used to be selling them for 120 (sprint springs).
They have good prices on all kinds of suspension stuff. Put up a post titled ATTN:southwestAutoworks . or do search for their name or something.

Old 01-03-2002, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by theblue
I have GC + AGX, there was no modification needed, it fit perfect
do you like it?
Old 01-03-2002, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by MaximaRversion2
Southwest Autoworks used to be selling them for 120 (sprint springs).
They have good prices on all kinds of suspension stuff. Put up a post titled ATTN:southwestAutoworks . or do search for their name or something.
Dont do the ATTN: posts any more. The moderators are trying to get rid of them.

SuDZ
Old 01-03-2002, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by SuDZ

Dont do the ATTN: posts any more. The moderators are trying to get rid of them.

SuDZ

why
Old 01-03-2002, 08:19 PM

Re: This is the correct link

JAY25, your Max looks tight, I like how good it looks lowered.
I've got a few questions best suited for Lowering for Dummies 101.

I live in Michigan, and the roads are crap! Also, snow is a pain! My questions:

1) What is the maximum drop I can achieve without cambers if I went with GCs?
2) With 17's, what's the best drop where I won't sacrifice too much ride comfort, while still looking good?
3) Would Koni adjustables be the best setup to go with GCs if I'm very concerned about ride quality? I understand that lowering decreases the ride quality, but I still want to be able to be as close to stock as possible.
4) When you adjust ride height with the GCs by jacking the car up and adjusting the level, do you need to re-adjust alignment, toe/camber? Do you need special tools to change the height?
5) How do you adjust the GCs so they have even height ... do they have markings or pre-set grooves for the adjusting nut? If you're driving and your wheel goes off the road momentarily, can the GCs on an individual wheel be knocked out slightly when it hits the road?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Thinkin' of getting 17's, and getting some GCs coz they have adjustable ride height!!! Sweet for winter!
Old 01-03-2002, 08:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pocketrocket
[B]JAY25, your Max looks tight, I like how good it looks lowered.
I've got a few questions best suited for Lowering for Dummies 101.

I live in Michigan, and the roads are crap! Also, snow is a pain! My questions:

1) What is the maximum drop I can achieve without cambers if I went with GCs?

A. 2 inches and anything below you will need some camber bolts or camber plates

2) With 17's, what's the best drop where I won't sacrifice too much ride comfort, while still looking good?

B. 2 inch drop and get the proper tire size as well 235/45 17 and a 17x8 size wheel. I dont know what type of a hurry your in but if you be patient I can show you a picture of a 96 max on 17's with a modified sprint drop. Those pics wont be posted until after March it is cold outside to mess around with the car

3) Would Koni adjustables be the best setup to go with GCs if I'm very concerned about ride quality? I understand that lowering decreases the ride quality, but I still want to be able to be as close to stock as possible.

C. My opinion about Konis is yes if the ride is rough you can adjust the rebound of the shock for a softer ride, but do keep in mind once you adjust the groundcontrol for a max drop you wont have that much travel but this question your going to have to post for someone with ground controls and koni set up, so post this question, I refuse to answer this question since I dont have coilovers on my Koni setup and I hate people that say Negative stuff that dont have the mod on their car so I like to reply with experience since your personally asking me. Also with coilovers I wouldnt risk getting just any shock I recommend the Konis.

4) When you adjust ride height with the GCs by jacking the car up and adjusting the level, do you need to re-adjust alignment, toe/camber?

D. Yes you will need to realign for camber once again, and thats a $55.00 dollar job.

Do you need special tools to change the height?

E. The tool should be included with the ground control coil overs, I dont have ground controls but tomorrow Friday I will have UPS at my door delivering me some Weapon R coilovers for my car. And I will let you know if it came with a tool or not.

5) How do you adjust the GCs so they have even height ... do they have markings or pre-set grooves for the adjusting nut? If you're driving and your wheel goes off the road momentarily, can the GCs on an individual wheel be knocked out slightly when it hits the road?

F. The coilovers, the spring is seated on a sleeve that has thread and the perch that the spring is seated on spins so you can turn it and will adjust the spring to raise or lower and thats the beauty of coilovers. I dont think the sleeve has any markings on it. I havent seen any or no one has posted something like that, so I can t ans the marked question.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Thinkin' of getting 17's, and getting some GCs coz they have adjustable ride height!!! Sweet for winter!

And since you live around snow yes to raise for winter get ground controls or weapon Rs. I will test them out this summer for everyone and post it to make a definite decision and I will have 2 max owners post their opinions. Well thats all the help I can give you if I couldnt ans some of your questions sorry.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:46 PM

im thinking about running with the stock 16's, and ill have a stillen lip soon. so im thinkin the b&g's will look ok (i jus want to get rid of the current stock fender gap!!!! YUCK!)
id like to put intrax's on or something with a lil bigger drop but i dont want to have to deal with camber plates, etc. So ill probably go with b&G's, its lower than hr or eibach.
im tryin hard to find out what people think about the kyb gr2's - i dont need adjustables (extra 100$ i dont need to spend)
lemme know what u think about this combo please-
Old 01-04-2002, 01:41 AM

H&R and Tokico's

If you want to clear speed bumps, and concrete stops at the local parking lot, you won't want a drop any lower than 1.5" in the front, otherwise you'll scrape up everything if you aren't careful. I have H&R and Tokico's, the ride is 90% as comfy as stock and looks a lot better as well. Handles great in the corners because as you take a corner, the springs are progressively wound so they will compress less the harder you take a corner and allow for better handling. Just my personal experience. I know you'll probably get irritated by an annoying drop beyond 2". Bouncy all over your *** and your gf or riders wont appreciate it either. H&R + tokico = $600. u can buy the strut tower bars and rear sway bar with the leftover money. Sounds better to me this way.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:59 AM

JAY25, no hurry. I'd like to see the pics.

Been looking at what others on the .org say, and I'd still like to have a decent ride. Maybe a 1.5" drop is what I'll go with.

That said, should I go with GCs or springs? I'm really liking the fact that the ride height is adjustable, but I only plan to drop 1.5" so I don't have too much trouble with speed bumps and ride quality.

If I'm dropping 1.5", can I keep my stock shocks? I'd like to change them but if there's no benefit, no point wasting the $$$.

I've still got my stock 15's, so I've got to get new wheels too!

I want to try and keep my $$$ down, so what do you think would be a good setup?

Thinking of:
17's
GCs w/ 1.5" drop, stock SE shocks!

Anyone with a similar setup, how is the ride quality compared to stock?

Also, anyone with pics of the 02 Altima 17s on a Maxima? Just wondering how they'd look! Thanks
Old 01-04-2002, 10:24 AM

Re: H&R and Tokico's

Originally posted by MaximaGTR34
If you want to clear speed bumps, and concrete stops at the local parking lot, you won't want a drop any lower than 1.5" in the front, otherwise you'll scrape up everything if you aren't careful. I have H&R and Tokico's, the ride is 90% as comfy as stock and looks a lot better as well. Handles great in the corners because as you take a corner, the springs are progressively wound so they will compress less the harder you take a corner and allow for better handling. Just my personal experience. I know you'll probably get irritated by an annoying drop beyond 2". Bouncy all over your *** and your gf or riders wont appreciate it either. H&R + tokico = $600. u can buy the strut tower bars and rear sway bar with the leftover money. Sounds better to me this way.
Yep, I second that. I have a similar setup; except my springs are Eibach. Even though the drop is not extreme, once in a while I still scrape going over certain steeper driveways. I find it hard to believe anyone with a 2" drop won't have scraping problems.

I have a STB and RSB. Both handling and ride is good. I think you'll have to sacrifice something to get something. If you want a nice low look, you'll have to sacrifice ride quality. If a company made a 2" drop spring that rode just as good as H&R's, everyone would jump on it. I know I would.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:44 AM

INTRAX AND KONI HERE

Originally posted by JMAX95

Yep, I second that. I have a similar setup; except my springs are Eibach. Even though the drop is not extreme, once in a while I still scrape going over certain steeper driveways. I find it hard to believe anyone with a 2" drop won't have scraping problems.

I have a STB and RSB. Both handling and ride is good. I think you'll have to sacrifice something to get something. If you want a nice low look, you'll have to sacrifice ride quality. If a company made a 2" drop spring that rode just as good as H&R's, everyone would jump on it. I know I would.
OOOOOH NO I never said I dont scrape, I do when I come out of a drive way and is at a 45 degree angle entrance but if I come in sideways I wont scrape. Now bottoming out or scraping while I drive never I clear speed bumps just fine, Now do keep in mind speed bumps are made to slow you down so I do or go around them. No biggie, I dont know what situations some of these guys are in especially in snow and that is a god (Nature) nothing can be done about that, but since I am a Marine I hope I dont end up in that situation and I will be pist a solution would be to get a winter vehicle.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:55 AM

Re: INTRAX AND KONI HERE

dropped 2 inches on sprints/kyb and have yet to scrape even a single time, and i have gone over more than my fair share of speed bumps
Old 01-04-2002, 12:10 PM

Re: Re: INTRAX AND KONI HERE

Originally posted by RedMax95
dropped 2 inches on sprints/kyb and have yet to scrape even a single time, and i have gone over more than my fair share of speed bumps
Who said anything about scraping over speed bumps?