4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Adjusting ride height for linear spring coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 02:09 PM

Adjusting ride height for linear spring coilovers

Hello all, I recently received my coilovers in the mail and am going to install them this sunday(the 12th) on my 1996 Maxima SE. The coilovers I have are linear and only have 2 collars on the threaded body. I have been doing research on this forum and online and it seems that most people have progressive rate springs that come with 3 collars on the threaded body, the top 2 for pre-loading and the bottom for adjusting ride height. I am not a rich man and am installing these with my stock struts until I can afford aftermarket struts to better handle the lowered stance. In my research it seems to me that in order to lower/raise the ride height, one would loosen up the bottom collar(B) and simply rotate the top collar(A) which will in turn rotate the threaded body down in turn lowering the ride height. In order to insure that I have the same height on all four corners I was going to sharpie the threaded body with a mark and count the amount of turn I have made and simply replicate that on the other 3 corners. Is this correct? Does that seem like a good idea to insure the same ride height all around?Attached is a picture if that helps out any at all. Everybody on this forum is so smart and seems to know so much about this kind of stuff and I would greatly value anyones input. My area of expertise is car audio and not so much the performance side of the Maxima, obviously I have only recently dived into this. Thanks ahead of time for the response and I look forward to being a valued and active member of this great forum.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Got Retrofit?

Here's how you're going to adjust the height:

The thread count idea will work somewhat but each corner has a different weight so it might not be perfect. Then again, your on stock struts so it may be spot on.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:42 PM

Is the stock strut on a 96 threaded like that though? I found this video earlier and watched it but Im using the stock strut unitl I can afford some aftermarkets so I didnt think this install was going to be like mine.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Is the stock strut on a 96 threaded like that though? I found this video earlier and watched it but Im using the stock strut unitl I can afford some aftermarkets so I didnt think this install was going to be like mine.
The stock struts aren't threaded but that silver piece that the collars go onto is. That piece goes on the bottom.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Got Retrofit?

Old 12-08-2011, 02:51 PM

Ok yeah, thats why the video threw me off because the strut in the video is threaded which is awesome but sadly I dont have that. I assumed from what I have that the threaded body sits on top of the strut and moving the collars simply moves the threaded body up and down in turn raising or lowering ride height. Im assuming there is some type of hole on the strut assembly for the threaded body to lower into?
Old 12-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Got Retrofit?

Ok yeah, thats why the video threw me off because the strut in the video is threaded which is awesome but sadly I dont have that. I assumed from what I have that the threaded body sits on top of the strut and moving the collars simply moves the threaded body up and down in turn raising or lowering ride height. Im assuming there is some type of hole on the strut assembly for the threaded body to lower into?
Watch the video I put in post #5.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:11 PM

Wow that video was perfect, I don't know how I didn't find that, I really appreciate it. Im assuming my assembly will be a lot like that and it was interesting to see that he cut off the bottom bump stop so as to have more travel I guess? Maybe Ill look into that if my mechanic friend thinks its a good idea on sunday. Well see how it goes and Ill make sure to post pictures once the install is complete. Ill be putting in a 4ch amp to power my front/rear components while he is putting together the suspension. I wonder if anybody will even care about these coilovers enough for me to post in the coilover review thread. Anyways, thanks alot I appreciate it
Old 12-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Got Retrofit?

Wow that video was perfect, I don't know how I didn't find that, I really appreciate it. Im assuming my assembly will be a lot like that and it was interesting to see that he cut off the bottom bump stop so as to have more travel I guess? Maybe Ill look into that if my mechanic friend thinks its a good idea on sunday. Well see how it goes and Ill make sure to post pictures once the install is complete. Ill be putting in a 4ch amp to power my front/rear components while he is putting together the suspension. I wonder if anybody will even care about these coilovers enough for me to post in the coilover review thread. Anyways, thanks alot I appreciate it
No problem. Your set up will look just like that. I would definitely cut the bump stops. Prepare yourself for rough and bouncy ride lol Oh and soon to be blown struts too.

Don't bother with a review thread. Everyone knows how those perform and if not, you just have to Google it since they're pretty much universal for all cars. Good luck!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
No problem. Your set up will look just like that. I would definitely cut the bump stops. Prepare yourself for rough and bouncy ride lol Oh and soon to be blown struts too.

Don't bother with a review thread. Everyone knows how those perform and if not, you just have to Google it since they're pretty much universal for all cars. Good luck!
Yea lol im hoping they last at least a few months, probably until xmas when Ill upgrade them. Ill be avoiding speed bumps and crawling over them if I cant avoid them. Im not gonna go super low so i'm hoping its not going to be overly bouncy. Thanks again