4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New tires for 99 max

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 06:34 PM

New tires for 99 max

It is time for new tires for my 99 max GXE. There have Toyo tires on them right now size 205/65R15. I was wondering what a good tire for this car might be. I need something that wears and handles good in cold and warm climate (Ohio). I was also wondering if a lower profile or wider tire would help with handling or should I stick with the same size?
Old 01-01-2002, 08:37 PM
4 Maximas and counting

Re: New tires for 99 max

www.tirerack.com has a set of surveys that shows how well people liked their tires.

If you're going to keep the same tires on all year long and you'll see some snow, then in the all-season category the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 is well liked (I just wore mine out) for a high-performance tire.
I decided that they wore a little too quickly for me (25K mi, but I had a bad alignment apparently). I looked through their H-rated tires and looked at the Bridgestone RE950 and Dunlop SP Sport A2, and decided on the RE950s. So far so good. I haven't seen any snow yet, but fingers are crossed. I was really tempted by the Bridgestone Turanza Revo Zs, but I figured that they were too new to trust those outstanding survey scores. The high price didn't help either.

Searching through this site will yield tons of opinions

Originally posted by reedg
It is time for new tires for my 99 max GXE. There have Toyo tires on them right now size 205/65R15. I was wondering what a good tire for this car might be. I need something that wears and handles good in cold and warm climate (Ohio). I was also wondering if a lower profile or wider tire would help with handling or should I stick with the same size?
Old 01-02-2002, 01:55 AM

Re: Re: New tires for 99 max

Originally posted by philpoe
www.tirerack.com has a set of surveys that shows how well people liked their tires.

If you're going to keep the same tires on all year long and you'll see some snow, then in the all-season category the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 is well liked (I just wore mine out) for a high-performance tire.
I decided that they wore a little too quickly for me (25K mi, but I had a bad alignment apparently). I looked through their H-rated tires and looked at the Bridgestone RE950 and Dunlop SP Sport A2, and decided on the RE950s. So far so good. I haven't seen any snow yet, but fingers are crossed. I was really tempted by the Bridgestone Turanza Revo Zs, but I figured that they were too new to trust those outstanding survey scores. The high price didn't help either.

Searching through this site will yield tons of opinions

I just wore out a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE950's & am pleased to say I liked them very much. I got 35,000 miles out of them & I would say I drive aggressively 30-40% of the time.

I had P225/60 ZR15's on my OEM alloys. This tire was slightly oversized from stock & gave my Max a larger footprint, although it did make the overal diameter of the tire slightly larger than stock (something I decided to live with). Overall, I was satisfied with this choice.

Btw, I bought my Bridgestone's through tirerack.com & couldn't have been happier with their service.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:53 AM

Re: Re: New tires for 99 max

Originally posted by philpoe

You may not be able to get this tire anymore but if you can one thing I might not recommend. This is an old tire. They are not making it anymore. They have upgraded the line so this means that if you blow one out or need just one replaced it may be very tough to do. Just a recommendation though.

SuDZ
Old 01-02-2002, 07:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: New tires for 99 max

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

I just wore out a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE950's & am pleased to say I liked them very much. I got 35,000 miles out of them & I would say I drive aggressively 30-40% of the time.

I had P225/60 ZR15's on my OEM alloys. This tire was slightly oversized from stock & gave my Max a larger footprint, although it did make the overal diameter of the tire slightly larger than stock (something I decided to live with). Overall, I was satisfied with this choice.

Btw, I bought my Bridgestone's through tirerack.com & couldn't have been happier with their service.
Did the tire feel mushy when you take a corner hard. Beacause the sidewall is a little higher and that sometimes happens.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:58 AM
Lifetime Maxer

Re: Re: Re: Re: New tires for 99 max

DEFINTELY GET THE DUNLOP SP5000! Those tires rock..have them on my 1998 Maxima, and they're phenominal. They're extremely quiet on the highway, don't make a sound when pushed hard, and don't even beat you up on the bumps...I don't know how Dunlop does it! Oh yeah, and they're great in the snow! (Live in NH, where we get a lot of it sometimes) Chad
Old 01-03-2002, 09:30 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Check out the Dunlop Sport A2 I just got a set and love them. Smooth, quiet, handle excellent when pushed to the limits. Rain traction is excellent. Not so sure about the snow yet. Great reviews on tire rack feedback section too.
Old 01-03-2002, 10:59 AM
4 Maximas and counting

Dunlop SP Sport 5000

I agree on all counts except the snow.
A big reason why I decided to try another tire was the snow performance. They weren't the worst, but I expected more. Maybe they were more worn than I thought last year.
I live in PA, and we only get 3 big snows a year, and I got stuck 2x. On the phone with Tire Rack, they still rate the 5Ks among the best, but for comparison's sake, my wife has BFG Comp T/A VR4 tires on her SVT and they perform better.
I've since noticed btw, that the RE950s have a little bit of hum at highway speeds. The SP5Ks did not.

Originally posted by maximachad
DEFINTELY GET THE DUNLOP SP5000! Those tires rock..have them on my 1998 Maxima, and they're phenominal. They're extremely quiet on the highway, don't make a sound when pushed hard, and don't even beat you up on the bumps...I don't know how Dunlop does it! Oh yeah, and they're great in the snow! (Live in NH, where we get a lot of it sometimes) Chad