4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Warpspeed Y; Bee's in a can delete?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 06:33 AM

^ Crazy C. You're going to be the official rasp judge during my trials, I need to swing by and show ya da white nightmare.

Originally Posted by cashoit
Even tho its beaten to death, I love exhaust threads. They are the most fun.

When i hear unequal length headers, I think of turbulent flow. Turbulent, fast flow plus poorly designed flex section would result in rasp.

in order to decrease that rasp, i would think u either need to smooth out the flow or install a flow resriction to slow it down a bit and decrease its energy. installing a stock muffler should eliminate much of the rasp, resonator will take care the rest.
Nice post.... But stock mufflers make a **** ton of rasp with aftermarket exhaust before them.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:10 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by CMax03
Your rasp is definitely the fact that you like test pipes.....see the common factor in each of your setups.....A hi flow cat mellows out the sound!
Um, I still had plenty of rasp even after getting rid of the test pipe and replacing it with a resonated one. I would say that got rid of 20% of the rasp. The Cattman headers got rid of 70% more. I say I only have 10% left to go, and I'm thinking that a G35 sedan muffler with the 2.5" inlet (instead of the 2.25" inlet on the 2k Max muffler) might help with that last 10%.

A test pipe will exacerbate the problem, but it won't cause it.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:14 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by aackshun
Nice post.... But stock mufflers make a **** ton of rasp with aftermarket exhaust before them.
Any reason you think that could cause that?

It's interesting you say that, because I've been having this feeling after installing the Cattman headers that the last bit of rasp I have is actually due to the 2k Max muffler I have. My setup is Cattman headers->resonated test pipe->resonated b-pipe->2k Max muffler.

There is only a slight rasp when I'm WOT, and now there is none when I decelerate in the 4-5000 rpm range, but I think changing the muffler could help. I wonder if having a 2.5" exhaust all the way to a 2.25" muffler inlet could cause problems. I'm really thinking about the G35 sedan muffler since it's 2.5" and will still be very quiet. Thoughts?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:46 AM

^ Crazy C. You're going to be the official rasp judge during my trials, I need to swing by and show ya da white nightmare.

Sorry Aack mang, but u gotta prove this to me.

I would think that a stock muffler would eliminate rasp or minimize it so much that its just about gone.

Any video links? Are we talking a performance muffler like the 2k or stock 4th gen muffler?

I think a stock 4th gen would eliminate rasp.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Sorry Aack mang, but u gotta prove this to me.

I would think that a stock muffler would eliminate rasp or minimize it so much that its just about gone.

Any video links? Are we talking a performance muffler like the 2k or stock 4th gen muffler?

I think a stock 4th gen would eliminate rasp.
I'm saying like... Y-pipe+Test Pipe+2.5" MERREL bent B-pipe and non oem res would = rasp.

But I'm with you if you keep a completely OEM catback and not just the muffla (To a point, headers + OEM catback will result in rasp)

Maxrider, brb, imma edit this with a video on what I'm talking about, it's not a maxima but it applies toward pretty much all cars....

Bah, if only we were behind the car during the dyno you'd hear the bees in a can sound.... It sounds terrible....

You can kindof hear it, but it does the car A LOT of justice, it does not sound that good from behind.

This car has 3 mufflers btw (OEM catback)

Last edited by aackshun; 02-10-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM

yo aack can u post the link instead of the video?

Im here at work and youtube is blocked.

I wanna try to view it on my phone.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
More than likely yours is simply rasp from the test pipe.....
I'm putting on a HFC . Let's see .....
Old 02-10-2012, 01:18 PM

Never had the Warspeed Y-pipe but always read about some bees in the can affect, good luck on finding a fix.....
Old 02-11-2012, 07:15 PM

You should see the pos flex that came on mine not sure which brand i ran it for a month before i couldnt take it and took the sawzall out when i saw the flex up in the light i could see daylight from the inside what a pos and it was only about 1.75 in in the inside dia. And it was only a couple years old.I put a longer and wider one i got from napa so its a straighter shot i had to make a new mount and header wrap the pipe by the floor board i have the cat and the stock b pipe still and no muffler just a nice pipe and tip and NO BEE CAN NOISE to speak off people tell me it sounds amazing all the time
Old 02-11-2012, 08:55 PM

Depends on what you're running...No resonator, test pipe Ypipe or headers are gonna be raspy!

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Um, I still had plenty of rasp even after getting rid of the test pipe and replacing it with a resonated one. I would say that got rid of 20% of the rasp. The Cattman headers got rid of 70% more. I say I only have 10% left to go, and I'm thinking that a G35 sedan muffler with the 2.5" inlet (instead of the 2.25" inlet on the 2k Max muffler) might help with that last 10%.

A test pipe will exacerbate the problem, but it won't cause it.
Resonated TEST PIPE (key words again), I just totally get rid of my bees in a can effect today by installing my 03 OEM cat, then smoothened it out more installing a 22" x 2.5" Cattman resonator (extra unit collecting dust).... still running that POS Flowmaster 40 with a big 4" tip! Sounds alot better now, but I still might go with a Magnaflow 12246:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=9340

Originally Posted by VisciousMo
I'm putting on a HFC . Let's see .....
I installed my 03 Max Oem unit and it removed all the rasp, I also think tip size matters in sound quality.....I also installed an extra Cattman 2.5" x 22" resonator and it's freaking smooth now!

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Never had the Warspeed Y-pipe but always read about some bees in the can affect, good luck on finding a fix.....
I'm running one on my 4th Gen that I actually installed for my buddy about 2 yrs ago.....I've personally installed plenty of exhaust on plenty of cars dude...

Originally Posted by supergondi
You should see the pos flex that came on mine not sure which brand i ran it for a month before i couldnt take it and took the sawzall out when i saw the flex up in the light i could see daylight from the inside what a pos and it was only about 1.75 in in the inside dia. And it was only a couple years old.I put a longer and wider one i got from napa so its a straighter shot i had to make a new mount and header wrap the pipe by the floor board i have the cat and the stock b pipe still and no muffler just a nice pipe and tip and NO BEE CAN NOISE to speak off people tell me it sounds amazing all the time
I used Vibrant Turbo interlocked liner flex couplings on my customized Pacestter headers for my 3rd gen and going the overengineered/overkilled route is always welcomed on my cars.....
Old 02-11-2012, 09:17 PM

I feel like the straight shot and larger diameter flex section after the two pipes come to one is important i noticed it like night and day when i took it off and did the changes
Old 02-11-2012, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by supergondi
I feel like the straight shot and larger diameter flex section after the two pipes come to one is important i noticed it like night and day when i took it off and did the changes
Maybe yours was replaced by the previous owner...cause the flex section on my WSP ypipe is definitely 2.5" ID.....