4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

3" cattman exhaust or 2.5" difference

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
I see that this is a problem for us and him and what he also stated was that the 3" exhaust was not for our cars,because of the cars have a curve under the car that won't allow the exhaust to flush mount with the body. I would like to see if someone has a underview of the car something like what wizards pic is but just more under of the car.
Not sure what you mean by "...the 3" exhaust was not for our cars...."

The part over the axle, the tricky part, was done right. Cattman and his fabricator goofed on the easy part, running it through the center of the exhaust tunnel next to the gas tank.

Please revisit the thread I linked above, there are plenty of pictures which I believe will satisfy your picture request.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:29 PM

ok, I chatted with cattman and I talked to him about the 3" exhuast, cattman is not able to do the 3" exhaust but he is willing to do a group deal for the 2.5" cat-backs for us orgers. I am told that there should be no Fitting problems with the exhaust. I am will to put my orders in and If there are any other orger intrested in the group deal sign in.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Like I said previously, my 2.5" system is only 1/4" further away from the trailing arm, and it banged too (a little less). VisciousMo said that his 2.5" system bangs too.

IMO, I think you should take your money elsewhere.. Cattman can't "guarantee" proper fitment, and if something is wrong, I bet he won't do anything about it considering his recent track record. And the fact that he's trying to sell his business.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:01 PM

ok, I chatted with cattman and I talked to him about the 3" exhuast, cattman is not able to do the 3" exhaust but he is willing to do a group deal for the 2.5" cat-backs for us orgers. I am told that there should be no Fitting problems with the exhaust. I am will to put my orders in and If there are any other orger intrested in the group deal sign in.

dude, just get a custom 3'' done. Sure, there is more hassle and legwork on your end. But, there is plenty of testimonial here on the org on 3'' over the 2.5''.

If you wanted a resonated tip, magnaflow sells a pretty hefty one.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 PM

Hi, everyone I was lately shopping and looking around for a new exhaust set up. I have been reading about the 3" being a great deal all around. I have made up my mind about the 3" exhaust,but I want to make sure that the 3" exhaust is good on the low-ends and the top-ends and how about the mid range. Is this gonna be a good idea for a n/a stock motor. I wanna compare the both 3" and 2.5".
Thanks.
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-4th-gens.html
Old 02-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Got Retrofit?

**** Cattman. Let's get the ball rolling with BRM.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by VisciousMo
My 2.5'' cattman bangs too.
I'm sure, enough too make this statement regarding a 2.5" Cattman on a 4th Gen.....If that's banging it's your own fault....either you need some new isolators or you need to readjust it at the flanges.....I have both a 3" and ran a 2.5 " Cattman as well, on a 5.5th and neither bangs/banged and I have less room than you do.... so I know it's something you did or neglect to do.....Instead of all you trying to take a shot at Cattman....at the same time....Show how much of a man you are and build your own 3" custom catback....and let's see if you can perfect it....don't run to BRM, Warpspeed, etc! Do your own! With all this whining about Cattman not standing by his product and these catbacks having been installed some 18 months ago.....sounds pathetic that yall haven't just corrected your problems and moved on in life! I believe there's things that we all have control over and if this is your car and it's banging cause something is wrong with it and there's not gonna be a solution from the maker...fix it and call it the day! I'll be waiting too hear more whining about the next big catback maker and their shortcoming...a custom 3" sounds like good alternative IMO!
Old 02-17-2012, 06:42 AM
^ Jeff™

Any competent muffler shop can adjust the isolators or add isolators if any part of an exhaust is banging. Simple fix and could cost you a whopping $10-20. lol
Old 02-17-2012, 06:43 AM

Like we've said in other 3" threads.

Every chassis is NOT the same.

You have to account for manufacturer defects in production (on cattman and nissans part)

I bet if you line up 4 4th gens together and put the same exhaust on all 4 of them, I will bet the exhaust will sit in at least 3 different spots.

And Mreous.... I know right?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Like we've said in other 3" threads.

Every chassis is NOT the same.

You have to account for manufacturer defects in production (on cattman and nissans part)

I bet if you line up 4 4th gens together and put the same exhaust on all 4 of them, I will bet the exhaust will sit in at least 3 different spots.

And Mreous.... I know right?
Life just ain't the same without some hating.....For those looking for a 3" catback go have a performance exhaust shop quote a identically built T409 SS, mandrel bent, flanged, 1/2" SS isolator support rods, and SS resonator and muffler for less than $800.....They'll kick your a$$ and throw you and your ride to the street!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:43 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by CMax03
For those looking for a 3" catback go have a performance exhaust shop quote a identically built T409 SS, mandrel bent, flanged, 1/2" SS isolator support rods, and SS resonator and muffler for less than $800
I don't think the money is the issue. People aren't just complaining about the price but about the high price that comes with the damn fitment issues. They paid that price for a perfect product and didn't get it.

At least if you spent $800 at a shop for a custom set up, it would fit perfect. No banging, no bull****. And even if there were to be banging, I'm sure the shop would take responsibility for it and resolve the issue, unlike Cattman.

/thread
Old 02-17-2012, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
**** Cattman. Let's get the ball rolling with BRM.
I'm with Chris lets get enough interest in BRM and get a 4gen down to there ..
Old 02-18-2012, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by olivas
I'm with Chris lets get enough interest in BRM and get a 4gen down to there ..
I'm with Chris too let him volunteer his **** for that PERFECT 3" BRM Catback,........... At that price fitment issues or issues period won't matter! Since anything over $600 should be perfect with no issues! Wake the **** up, nothing is perfect not in the world we live in.....if you're still having problems with your fitment 18 months later you're obviously lazy or slow!
Old 02-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Got Retrofit?

I'm with Chris too let him volunteer his **** for that PERFECT 3" BRM Catback,........... At that price fitment issues or issues period won't matter! Since anything over $600 should be perfect with no issues! Wake the **** up, nothing is perfect not in the world we live in.....if you're still having problems with your fitment 18 months later you're obviously lazy or slow!
If I lived in FL I'd be more than willing to.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:05 PM

I know I am in and if I am getting my exhaust in, I hope the exhaust won"t give me any banging and any fittment issues that"s my priority. I know we are as a group gonna spend money, so we better get the fitmment issue tooken care of. I hopewe can get a 98-99 maxima in there since it has been 95-96 maximas that came out perfect for cattman. I think the work needs to be done on the 98-99 maximas. Scmellyfarts got his 3"exhaust on his 97 max perfectly. I think it would be better to take a 98-99 maxima in for this 3" exhaust fittment.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:49 PM

For the record, my Cattman 3" did not fit perfectly initially. Its still not perfect but at least it doesn't bang anymore.

Last edited by schmellyfart; 02-18-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
For the record, my Cattman 3" did not fit perfectly initially. Its still not perfect but at least it doesn't bang anymore.
Yeah, I was gonna say that..
Old 02-18-2012, 07:36 PM

Same ol', Same ol'.....
Old 02-19-2012, 08:41 PM

just get it made at a shop, no waiting on other people in a group buy or manufacturer and you'll get the best fitment to your car. not to mention it's probably cheaper too... Mine only cost $500 from the headers back, and mine has not banged 1 time since I've had it...
Old 02-20-2012, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by SHIFT_maxMD
just get it made at a shop, no waiting on other people in a group buy or manufacturer and you'll get the best fitment to your car. not to mention it's probably cheaper too... Mine only cost $500 from the headers back, and mine has not banged 1 time since I've had it...
And being that low in price, that tells me it's not SS but crush bent aluminized steel or if it's mandrel bent it's a 1 piece catback! That'll work but isn't close to being a flange welded system that allows you to remove a section if maintenance is required and the exhaust is in the way like when needing access to work on seized up emergency brake cables!
Old 02-20-2012, 02:30 AM

And being that low in price, that tells me it's not SS but crush bent aluminized steel or if it's mandrel bent it's a 1 piece catback! That'll work but isn't close to being a flange welded system that allows you to remove a section if maintenance is required and the exhaust is in the way like when needing access to work on seized up emergency brake cables!
And that would be incorrect, it has v-band clamps, it is stainless steel and it is mandrel bent, hell the name of the place is Mandrel Bent Solutions lol, I get a discount since I been going to them for like 11 years but even at that most people have had their mandrel bent cat-backs made for 500... Even though I get it cheaper he could get his from the headers back made for like 750-800, without any fitment issues...
Old 02-20-2012, 03:25 AM
Administrator

I'm sure, enough too make this statement regarding a 2.5" Cattman on a 4th Gen.....If that's banging it's your own fault....either you need some new isolators or you need to readjust it at the flanges.....I have both a 3" and ran a 2.5 " Cattman as well, on a 5.5th and neither bangs/banged and I have less room than you do.... so I know it's something you did or neglect to do.....Instead of all you trying to take a shot at Cattman....at the same time....Show how much of a man you are and build your own 3" custom catback....and let's see if you can perfect it....don't run to BRM, Warpspeed, etc! Do your own! With all this whining about Cattman not standing by his product and these catbacks having been installed some 18 months ago.....sounds pathetic that yall haven't just corrected your problems and moved on in life! I believe there's things that we all have control over and if this is your car and it's banging cause something is wrong with it and there's not gonna be a solution from the maker...fix it and call it the day! I'll be waiting too hear more whining about the next big catback maker and their shortcoming...a custom 3" sounds like good alternative IMO!
There you go again. You've got some ***** telling him it's his fault. And I know you've read all my replies in all the various threads over the last month or so, yet you never acknowledge what's been stated and side with us. Instead, you continue to swing from Cattman's nuts and defend him. Either that, or you have major reading comprehension issues. Everyone else gets it and understands except you.

Just because you fixed your issue on your 5.5 gen, doesn't mean that it's a simple fix and the same fix for us 4th gens.

Originally Posted by MrEous
Any competent muffler shop can adjust the isolators or add isolators if any part of an exhaust is banging. Simple fix and could cost you a whopping $10-20. lol
If it were only that easy. There's only about 10 different threads you need to catch up and read.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:55 PM

My friend paided over 800$ for a turbo back custom exhaust I think it was 75$ for each bend adding in labor and supplies he wad very happy at the end. But after reading about cattman I'm surprised people had that fitment issue. They say you get what you pay for. But cattman is alot $$$ at least fitment shouldn't be a issue smh
Old 02-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'll chime in. I purchased the last 3" cattman exaust from Brian. While I am happy with the actual build quality I don't like how it bangs around.

I purchased some ultra hard poly hangers and it did help things but it does constantly hit the trailing arm.

Wizard have you looked into having an exhaust shop modify your cattman 3"? I'm thinking about taking mine in to have them shorten/lengthen it in the right places to give more clearance.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by sergofast
I'll chime in. I purchased the last 3" cattman exaust from Brian. While I am happy with the actual build quality I don't like how it bangs around.

I purchased some ultra hard poly hangers and it did help things but it does constantly hit the trailing arm.

Wizard have you looked into having an exhaust shop modify your cattman 3"? I'm thinking about taking mine in to have them shorten/lengthen it in the right places to give more clearance.
now we are going somewhere on the what and where, I should get mine from I am kind of getting some confidents on about the other manufacters. I was with cattman but, you guys are right with all of that money he should of at least have no problems with the fittment issues at all period.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Thanks for posting. About 4 or 5 out of the original group of 9 or so have now posted with banging issues. Cmax03, you still gonna stick up for Cattman and say "it's our fault" and "it's an easy fix"?? Maybe now you'll give it a rest....

Not yet, but it's high on my list of things to do once some time frees up for me. The banging continues to drive me nuts in the meantime.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:28 PM

Ok wait just to confirm.

You guys who have banging have replaced any or all isolaters/hangers???

Because like I said... I initially had banging using all of my old exhaust hangers, but I replaced 2 to fix the sag/lean the catback had, and my banging went away totally.

And I road course my maxima so I can gaurantee my car sees more lateral G's then most 4th gens on here.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Administrator

now we are going somewhere on the what and where, I should get mine from I am kind of getting some confidents on about the other manufacters. I was with cattman but, you guys are right with all of that money he should of at least have no problems with the fittment issues at all period.
Very true. None of this should have happened in the first place, especially since it was easily avoidable.

However, mistakes happen. I can accept that; we are human after all. What I can't accept is the fact that Cattman hasn't apologized for his mistake and made things right. Now it's going to cost me time and money to correct his mistake.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Ok wait just to confirm.

You guys who have banging have replaced any or all isolaters/hangers???
For the 1,505,305,058,345 time, yes.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:34 PM

Gotcha, I will have to take pics of the 3" on my car to see how close it is to my arm.

I do know my tip sits pretty far back (like 1-2 inches further than anyone else), and a lot of people commented on it, I liked where it sat, but others didn't.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:04 PM

Gotcha, I will have to take pics of the 3" on my car to see how close it is to my arm.

I do know my tip sits pretty far back (like 1-2 inches further than anyone else), and a lot of people commented on it, I liked where it sat, but others didn't.
I was asking for an underview pic of the 3" exhaust so I and the rest of us can see the clearance issue and the trailing arm issue.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by SHIFT_maxMD
And that would be incorrect, it has v-band clamps, it is stainless steel and it is mandrel bent, hell the name of the place is Mandrel Bent Solutions lol, I get a discount since I been going to them for like 11 years but even at that most people have had their mandrel bent cat-backs made for 500... Even though I get it cheaper he could get his from the headers back made for like 750-800, without any fitment issues...
Well that's awesome, familiar with their name....Did they have your catback bent specifically or do you build it from one of their tube kits? Post a pic of your system please! So they made the catback or you did?
Old 02-21-2012, 03:31 AM

I told Wizard, that I would measure my 5.5th Gen 3" Cattman trailing arm to exhaust clearance.....Well mine measured 2 1/8" from the trailing arm! I hope Cattman and Wizard can resolve this matter.....I would be all over it if I were Cattman.....but in another perspective, I don't see how this one issue could tarnish a 14 yr aftermarket commit to excellence like no other! Let's see if we can resolve this situation guys! Sorry for stepping on any toes on this matter, I just think the approach was wrong ....as well as the response!
Did you read this Wizard.....It's not you fault nor any of y=the others that purchased a 3" catback but the way you went about it more than likely has caused Cattman not to fix this situation....But I hope that we all can find a solution to fix this situation....It really sounds like the lateral tubing running in front of the fuel tank needs to be shorted about 1.5"-1.75" and either expanded to fit back together and welded or butt welded....and you problems will be solved....I apologize for stepping on anyones toes or nuts.....I hated seeing this happen to such a stand up Company....I'll still purchase whatever I can from Cattman but I thank there are other options out there for all as us to find a decent 3" catback...AGAIN FOLKS I APOLOGIZE IF I STEPPED ANY TOES, TONGUES OR NUTS! I try my best to help you all resolve this issue!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:42 AM

Hangers: I purchased 8 poly hangers designed for a Subaru WRX - 4 regular sized and 4 extra long. I couldnt tell you which I have where now, Ive swapped them back and forth trying to pull the exhaust one direction without pulling it so much it vibrates against something else. The result in this mismatched exhaust hangers (that dont flex at all) is my tip is pulled slightly to the driver side of the car. I will say When I had all of the extra long hangers on there it very rarely banged....untill I went over a speed bump because it was about an inch lower than it should have been. It looked best when I had the short hangers on it but then it was pulled so tight agains the underside of the car it didnt bang (because it physically couldnt move), but the damn thing vibrated so bad it sounded like a freight train. That lasted two days and I pulled it all apart....

TO be totally honest this thing is so big its crammed into an area with very little error room.....its completely a tight squeeze. For the most part the Cattman 3" goes right where its supposed to with the exception of how close it gets to the trailing arm. The only option I see is cutting about an inch or so out of the "L" and rewelding it.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:46 AM

.It really sounds like the lateral tubing running in front of the fuel tank needs to be shorted about 1.5"-1.75" and either expanded to fit back together and welded or butt welded....and you problems will be solved....
+1

This is exactly what I am thinking it needs. I may have to re arrange some hangers slightly, but thats an easy fix. If anyone happens to do this before I do please post results.....I probably wont do anything until it warms up a bit...

Oh yeah, Wizard, you mentioned something about the resonator being small. Have you heard a 3" with a larger resonator? Im thinking about getting that big **** 6" x 30" magnaflow one...Id love to take the noise down ever so slightly (but thats only gong in there if I can do so without banging...

Last edited by sergofast; 02-21-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:14 AM

I did not get in on the first batch because I knew something like this could happen. I would say any one looking for a 3" setup go customer and plan your setup. Nothing will probably come from this on Cattman end
Old 04-12-2019, 01:51 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Thanks for posting. About 4 or 5 out of the original group of 9 or so have now posted with banging issues. Cmax03, you still gonna stick up for Cattman and say "it's our fault" and "it's an easy fix"?? Maybe now you'll give it a rest....

Not yet, but it's high on my list of things to do once some time frees up for me. The banging continues to drive me nuts in the meantime.
Im just catching up on reading this now hahah. I’m one of the original first 9 or 10 that purchased the 3” catback from Cattman and I already had the 2.5. Cattman.

After a 5speed swap recently, I’ve learned that the ypipe is having issues with clearance from the shift linkage and also the cross member.

So I’m keeping my headers and having a custom 3” ypipe made by Thomas Purdue. Maxstreets, a fellow Orger is working on my car and found the clearance issue.

My point of reviving this thread is to state that I didn’t have any banging or clearance issues. But my tail pipe was actually recessed and it was shorter than promised. Brian wouldn’t honor anything and I had to purchase 2 spacers from him to have my tail pipe sit where I wanted it. Brian argued that every Maxima wasn’t the same, as someone mentioned here earlier in the post. Which is in fact true.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:19 PM

It's been a while, I don't recall if I ever posted the fix for the trailing arm banging on my 97SE. I drilled new mounting holes in the forward-most muffler hanger bracket to push the exhaust away from the trailing arm.
I later sold my Cattman 3" to a local and installed it on his 98. No banging issues at all.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:02 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
It's been a while, I don't recall if I ever posted the fix for the trailing arm banging on my 97SE. I drilled new mounting holes in the forward-most muffler hanger bracket to push the exhaust away from the trailing arm.
I later sold my Cattman 3" to a local and installed it on his 98. No banging issues at all.
i guess it varied from a Maxima to Maxima. No issues here expect the tail pipe as I mentioned.

I wonder if anyone swapping to 5speed had clearnace issues with their Cattman. My guy said it happens when swapping from Auto to Manuel. Never heard this before, anyhow, getting a custom y pipe, no way around it.

Ill have a Cattman Y pipe for sale soon, but not sure if it can be used without the headers.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
i guess it varied from a Maxima to Maxima. No issues here expect the tail pipe as I mentioned.

I wonder if anyone swapping to 5speed had clearnace issues with their Cattman. My guy said it happens when swapping from Auto to Manuel. Never heard this before, anyhow, getting a custom y pipe, no way around it.

Ill have a Cattman Y pipe for sale soon, but not sure if it can be used without the headers.
There are no clearance issues when going from auto to manual. There's not different exhaust parts for different trans, unless it's specifically a cattman thing all I can think is the shifter linkage being there, but still it shouldn't be an issue where that's located above/behind the heatshield

Last edited by Violator; 04-13-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: 3" cattman exhaust or 2.5" difference