4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

3" cattman exhaust or 2.5" difference

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 12:22 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by Violator
There are no clearance issues when going from auto to manual. There's not different exhaust parts for different trans, unless it's specifically a cattman thing all I can think is the shifter linkage being there, but still it shouldn't be an issue where that's located above/behind the heatshield
the problem was the ypipe flange. Couldn’t get the bolt on or off, so when he dropped the motor originally, he dropped it with the ypipe connected. The plan is to cut that off and weld a Vband there. I need to replace the flex section on it too.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:09 PM

I know what the problem is? It's an installer issue! I'm still running those same Cattman headers and 3" exhaust system for 12-13 yrs no problem other than the skid plate forming a crack due the small tack welds used to secure it on to the rear bank ypipe tube...I had that fully TIG welded on...10 yrs ago. I may have ran over a possum or raccoon that caused that problem since my 2003 is dropped about 1.75". my suggestion is to run either NISMO or Karboy poly exhaust hangars. It's all about loosening, tightening and positioning the exhaust system. I've done several different brands of exhaust systems and different cars and it's all about positioning. The Cattman 2.5", 3" exhaust systems and Cattman headers have been some of the easiest exhaust components I've ever done. I've done on different cars from Honda Preludes, Hardbody p'up, to 370Z's to Shelby Mopars...It's all about how you assemble it! What you assemble it with (SS hardware, copper gaskets, etc)...
Old 04-26-2019, 01:45 AM
Administrator

7 years later we're still talking about this?

I don't believe it's an installation issue, far from it. And I still don't buy Cattman's lame excuse that every Maxima is different.

I started out by buying two of Cattman's 3" systems. As years went on, fellow maxima enthusiasts sold their maximas to me, which came with full Cattman headers, Cattman fastcats, 3" exhausts etc, so I own 5 Maximas, both 5spd and Auto, with said Cattman goodies, and guess what, all 5 have fitment issues at the same exact spot. I now own 5 out of the 10 or 11 3" exhausts that were made, plus I was the guy who was helped "develop" and donated his Maxima for fitment purposes..... All the loosening, re-adjusting, new hangars etc didn't solve the fitment issues on any of the 5 Maximas. Driving in a straight line, no issues, but as soon as you start taking corners semi to moderately hard, or hit some bumps in the road, the banging would occur.

Bottom line: Cattman screwed the pooch with this 3" exhaust and didn't properly develop it and test fit it properly. Instead, he banked on his previous successful 2.5" catback system, made a few minor tweaks, and ran with it. Unfortunately, it bit him in the *** and most of us in this group of 10 or 11 didn't get the quality product that Cattman was known for and what we came to expect over the years.

I'm sure you guys either own different cars or venture on other car forums. Have you ever heard a Vendor blame it on the car and say all cars are different? Never. On installation issues? Perhaps. But those cases turn out positive once adjustments are made.

Last edited by The Wizard; 05-03-2019 at 10:58 AM.