4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Custom Side pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 03:03 PM

Custom Side pipes

I was thinking today about a mod that would be more unique and I got to the idea of side pipes. I dont think i've ever heard of someone doing this to their Max. Can anyone photoshop a pic of a max w/sidepipes? What do you guys think the cost would be. Youd have do a little custom exhust work, fill up the stock cut out for the muffler and then drill a hole in the side. To me it doesnt seem like a lot of work. Im just worried about drilling the hole. You'd probably have to paint a little around the hole to. Anyway.. opinions and pictures
Old 01-02-2002, 03:25 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

sounds pretty cool. Kinda like a lightning ? Dual tips ?
Old 01-02-2002, 03:27 PM

in fact that muffler comin outta the side of the max would look friggen sweet.
Old 01-02-2002, 03:28 PM

Oh great now your goign to steal my idea! Hehe, but prices and pics, folks! I need a sumer project.
Old 01-02-2002, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
Oh great now your goign to steal my idea! Hehe, but prices and pics, folks! I need a sumer project.

Nah my totally custom dual exhaust project is on it's way. I'll let you have this one.

Have a look under your car. I would think this would be fairly easy. just cut off the pipin and re-route it the the sides and what not, unless the suspension is in the way...
Old 01-02-2002, 03:31 PM
MaximaRversion2

Muffler will probably have to be flatter then usual because of the compact space you want to put it, maybe you can use the Roush Mustang as a basic idea,,, a girl i know is getting one soon (automatic 6 banger,,, boo ROUSH=4.6 supercharged or nothing) , im sure she'll let me take a peak at it once or twice and figure it out ... i hope anyway.

Old 01-02-2002, 03:39 PM

Hmm i didnt think of space for the muffler. All a muffler does is reduce noise right? Why could I get some sort of custom "muffler", where its jsut the the piping with somthing in the middle to cut down thenoise. Would that work? Also, would i lose any HP from doing this?
Old 01-02-2002, 03:43 PM
MaximaRversion2

Hmm i didnt think of space for the muffler. All a muffler does is reduce noise right? Why could I get some sort of custom "muffler", where its jsut the the piping with somthing in the middle to cut down thenoise. Would that work? Also, would i lose any HP from doing this?
Probably no HP loss if you kept the right back pressure . youll probably have to have some stuff "cut" from under your car to allow space for this work , (unless you have ground effects then it will be fine because you wont be able to see it). it will be pretty low, and right at a point where your car is prone to scrape if lowered. if the muffler is tucked away under the car , im sure it will be pretty safe. Ill take a peek , and let you know. i should be able to see it pretty soon i think ...

Old 01-02-2002, 03:45 PM

cool man. lemme know what you find. Im going to go talk to my guy at some point to see what he thinks. I'll have to have body work AND exhust work done though, which sucks (cant do it at the same place)
Old 01-02-2002, 03:47 PM
MaximaRversion2

cool man. lemme know what you find. Im going to go talk to my guy at some point to see what he thinks. I'll have to have body work AND exhust work done though, which sucks (cant do it at the same place)
You dont NEED the body kit , it will just help to conceal the muffler and let the tip be the only thing seen ... Roush has a super sweet tip on their side exhaust...

Old 01-02-2002, 03:51 PM

I ment id need body work cuz somone needs to drill the hole and then paint it. (Probably 40 bucks or somthing though)
Old 01-02-2002, 04:07 PM
MaximaRversion2

I ment id need body work cuz somone needs to drill the hole and then paint it. (Probably 40 bucks or somthing though)
good point ,,, i also just had an idear .... Take off your cat (no one will know) and put your muffler there , then just run a longer pipe to the side... if nothing else works... but you dont really need a muffler , but maximas sound a lot better with them ... they sound sh!tty and farty without

Old 01-02-2002, 04:15 PM

Hmmm. So i put actuall muffle part where the cat is now, and the just run the pipe. Thats an interesting idea indeed. Is this legal? Would i pass inspection w/o my cat on?
Old 01-02-2002, 04:23 PM

If your daring try using special tools and cut a perfect half circle where the tips will be. That would look twice as good as just the side muffler itself IMHO.
Old 01-02-2002, 04:30 PM
MaximaRversion2

Hmmm. So i put actuall muffle part where the cat is now, and the just run the pipe. Thats an interesting idea indeed. Is this legal? Would i pass inspection w/o my cat on?
You wont pass inspection, its illegal and pretty loud too. But hey , if you dont get caught , whats the harm... taht was just an idea i had for if it didnt work another way. And i think it should.

- - I think thats what he is talking about doing . having the tips come out of a hole in the side (hole cut in the body kit would be easiest)
I recommend getting the side skirts from a skyline kit when it comes out , they are supposed to lower body height by 2.5 inches, and you can cut it and mold it easy because its fiberglass or eurithane or something non metal. then get a custom tip made or just take one from the 5th gen maxima.

Old 01-02-2002, 07:10 PM

The Racecar Max that was at the 2nd last big Toronto Maxima meet at umm .. Alta Nissan (I think?) had a sidepipe setup on it. It was the loudest max I've ever seen. When he rev'd it driving by you, you'd have to cover your ears. Putting together a working setup of this would be pretty easy. Putting together a legal one though ... that's tricky
Old 01-02-2002, 07:21 PM

id really like to see a picture of his car. Do you know his name on the org? Or do you have any pics?

So i really need to keep the car on there, and some how make a muffeling system and have it all fit in there. Im goign to be dropping my car this summer and I live in Maine so i dont want to be scrapping all the time.

Also how would i cover up the exsiting half circle for the stock exhust?
Old 01-02-2002, 07:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can you tell me why it would look cool to have side pipes on a max? I mean, I like side pipes on camaros, corvettes, etc. I just think it would look "odd" having side pipes on a 4d japanese family sedan. Im not knocking it, just not my taste. Would you just fill in the rear hole in the bumper? Might be kinda dumb having a pipe hanging below your doors if the one in the rear hangs almost in the bumper. Wouldnt it be too low? I know if you put it on camaros and stuff you can melt your bodykit, could it happen on a max too?....probably not? It would be unique though.....whether its pretty or ugly.....
Old 01-02-2002, 08:03 PM

Yeah Im not 100% sure how it'll look yet. thats why im hopin someone will photoshop one for me.

And yesill cover up the exisiting hole for the muffler.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:07 PM

Yeah Im not 100% sure how it'll look yet. thats why im hopin someone will photoshop one for me.
fi dolla!
Old 01-02-2002, 09:10 PM

do you want like the exhaust in Fast and the Furious? Single tip out the passanger side of the rear bumper? I would get a picture for you but my computer is being lame right now and won't let me print screen with the movie
Old 01-02-2002, 11:00 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Side exhaust is gonna look fugly JMO
Old 01-03-2002, 04:12 AM
MaximaRversion2

Originally posted by maxse91
i think so too . just make sure you work it out right... Ask someone to photoshop the Roush stage 3 side exhaust onto your car with a stillen body kit. And have the roush molded into the kit as well as possible. i think that would be the hottest setup IMO

Old 01-03-2002, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by maxse91
Depends on how well it's done though.

SuDZ
Old 01-03-2002, 06:38 PM
MaximaRversion2

Originally posted by MaximaRversion2

i think so too . just make sure you work it out right... Ask someone to photoshop the Roush stage 3 side exhaust onto your car with a stillen body kit. And have the roush molded into the kit as well as possible. i think that would be the hottest setup IMO

oops , i meant to say i think its gonna look hot ~!

Old 01-03-2002, 06:41 PM

THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS

HEY BUY THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS AND STUDY THE BLUE MAXIMA IN THE MOVIE! THAT HAS EXHAUST COMING OUT THE REAR SIDE! IT LOOKS SWEET!
Old 01-03-2002, 06:41 PM

Didn't the max in Fast and Furious have side exhaust? Are you looking to do what he did? Where are you thinking about locating the pipe. It would be interesting to see what that finished product would look like.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:05 PM
MaximaRversion2

Guys , i dont think he wants it like that , i think he wants it in front of the rear tire at the bottom of the body , like a Roush Mustang

Old 01-03-2002, 07:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MaximaRversion2
Guys , i dont think he wants it like that , i think he wants it in front of the rear tire at the bottom of the body , like a Roush Mustang
If you don't quite remember the Roush 'Stang (which I didn't), it is the same muffler they classic Shelby Cobra 427 S/C had, going along the bottom like running boards. It would be sweet, but maybe too loud to enjoy.
-Cyrus
Old 01-03-2002, 07:37 PM

Hmm. Well at first i actually was thinking how the blue max had it on FaF, but the pipes going up like a viper or those stangs would be friggen cool too. The only thing about that is this is my daily driver so the sound might be too much to remain that way...
Old 01-03-2002, 08:09 PM

what... if... you got some of those ankle burners that were on the really old vettes i think. The cobra's too. Where tehy have the muffler thing run along the side of the car at the bottom with the heat sheild with those holes in it...
Old 01-03-2002, 08:42 PM

Lolololol!!!!!1

Old 01-03-2002, 08:43 PM

even donate my car for laffter
Old 01-04-2002, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by ZXdude
even donate my car for laffter
lol! That was great! Artistry at it's finest!