4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th gen electrical

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

4th gen electrical

I have a 99 Max that iv run into a pretty serious problem with. It started out that when the clutch was open my subwoofer amp would work. but once i engaged the clutch it would shut off... my cluster lights would become super bright. it lead to one day i was driving down the road and the lights all started going crazy and then bam my radio poped and the car died. It got taken to a nissan dealer and they tryed telling me it was my engine harnness and ecu, i took towed it from there not wanting to pay 4500 to fix and got it running but now it will run for a little while till it is warmed up and my lights will start surging and flashing and engine will violantly cut out. I am not sure what to do i have changed the alternator and the sensor on top of the engine harnness that i believe is for the fuel injection. the old one was burnt out and the wires to it had been melted.
i Love the car and hate to have to get rid of it but i dont know what to check next, i was wondering how to check the ecu diaginostic and if the crank sensor or something like that could be the problem, im going to scan the check engine light and see what codes i get.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

And am wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem and what their fix was, my buddy who had a spec v said he had somthing like this going on and it turned out the be the crank sensor so thats why i asked about that.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:18 PM

You have a MAJOR electrical problem. You didnt think the surge could cause problems lol? Its def not your crank sensor. First, Water could have worked its way in somewhere and shorted something but at least part of your harness has been rendered useless thats for sure. Take a good look at your harness and see if there is any wires that have signs of arcing. Did you hook up your system up yourself? Where did you ground? What gauge wire did you use and how many amps are you pulling? Did you use a rubber grommet around the power wire where it goes through the firewall? Your system could have caused the problem as well not grounding it properly. Electrical issues are hard to diagnose

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 03-21-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ghetto wiring FTW!

Who installed your stereo equipment?
Old 03-21-2012, 06:38 PM

Dude...this is why people should not instal their own stereo systems. If you have ever professionally installed stereos you know that half the job is UNinstalling every hack job that people call professional.

Start with the basics....uninstall whatever hack job someone did to your system. Then after its all out (and I mean ALL....radio, amps, random speaker wire tapped into things, , neon lights, LEDs, random other ricer pep boys accessories, etc), then make sure there are no random open wires or splices.

After this is done replace any busted fuses and drive the car. Test it. make sure everything is working correctly. If the car is still driving funny then youve fried something and may need a new ECU. car-part.com buy one for cheap.

THEN after your car is working properly, because you have eliminated what obviously has caused the problem you can reinstall your stereo system. But for goodness sake, please do it correctly. Ask questions and google....or pay someone to instal it.

Youve got to get it back to stock....cause the cars run just fine un modified....OR you have to be able to test it and understand what is going on with every wire that was installed aftermarket.

Last edited by sergofast; 03-21-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:59 PM

1st suggestion is to GET a good wiring diagram for your car Good one's are available through Mitchell on demand. or through your local NAPA auto parts house. 2nd is to visit local bone yard and grab a good wiring harness including dash, engine, lighting, and ecu circuits preferably one that has not been hacked into. Basically what I am saying is to start all over over again and Take Your Time. be prepared to disassemble the bone yard car as this will give you GOOD practice on your car to repair wiring damage caused by a surge. I guarantee you most likely have more than just 2 burnt wires in the charging circuit. not to mention the damage caused to the grounds. Start with one wire and keep going until its done right.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by 89newporker
1st suggestion is to GET a good wiring diagram for your car Good one's are available through Mitchell on demand. or through your local NAPA auto parts house. 2nd is to visit local bone yard and grab a good wiring harness including dash, engine, lighting, and ecu circuits preferably one that has not been hacked into. Basically what I am saying is to start all over over again and Take Your Time. be prepared to disassemble the bone yard car as this will give you GOOD practice on your car to repair wiring damage caused by a surge. I guarantee you most likely have more than just 2 burnt wires in the charging circuit. not to mention the damage caused to the grounds. Start with one wire and keep going until its done right.
I agree. and you can probably get all this stuff for under 200 bucks....