4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

hard starting only start when pumping the gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:48 PM

hard starting only start when pumping the gas

ok i have the 99 max automatic with the vq30de and i have experianced this problem right before a tranny swap..ok after the tranny swap i went ahead bought a new maf..new cps 1 and cps 2 and cps new plugs fuel filter ran 2 extra grounds from seeing on here from other peoples problems they had bought a new starter a 200 dollar battery new battery post new cables to the starter and checked all my plugs ins replaced knock sensor u name it...it will only start if u pump the gas just a little bit..before it done this it idled about 800 rpm now its about down to 400 rpms in gear...i just dont know what else to try cleaned my iacv just in case seem to work just fine...im lacking just a little bit of power not much just enough to notice...any suggestions
Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 PM

Ok, so what your saying is you replaced the transmission and just about every sensor on the car, plus added grounds, ALLLLL at the same time and now your car doesnt run right? My suggestion is that you put your old sensors back and remove the grounds. Then one by one change things...

Maybe Your explanation needs more clarification. As a rule of thumb for me though, do one thing at a time when troubleshooting...
Old 03-26-2012, 08:57 PM

one day about a week before i tore her down she dont it once and that was it....after i put my new tranny in it started doing it and never has stoped...so i got on here done some home work found out that sometime u can loose the ground connection in the car after taking the tranny out which this is my 2nd tranny and my 1st time it didnt do this stuff..so i dont some more home work replace them sensors dident help and so i figured ta go for a ground and didnt change anything...i did put the old ones back in and did the same thing one at a time u know changing unpluging...it has no cel or codes or nothing just when u go to start it u have to pump the gas peddle to get her to hit and start after she starts..runs 100% all the time..and even harder to start when shes warmed up some...ive spent alotta hours on here before posting anything and going over my wires connections and stuff fuses relays nothing...i just dont get and only thing i can think of is maybe a injector is bad or a bad fuel pump..but another thing if u peddle it to much ull flood her and ull be stranded so idk just one of those things that gets on ur last nerve
Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 PM

well, iirc, you cant flood our cars really... nor does pumping the gas help... We arent carbureted and the fuel is controlled by the computer which is only dumping according to the air fuel... so WOT doesnt give it more gas like old school motors.

^somebody stop me here if im wrong!!!

But, i guess another place to look at is adjusting your idle and/or tps perhaps? If the car idles somewhat smooth at 400 then adjust it to where its supposed to be. If the car is barely staying alive and missing badly then you have other issues.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:21 PM

naaa belive me u can flood a it belive me i have 3 times and changed the plugs lol ngk aint to cheap but i like em...it doesent miss back fire nothing dont smoke rattle nothing just this little flaw i cant figure out on my own...ive messed with the iacv a little and that doesent seem to help a whole lot..its like its starving for gas..then when it hits better not pump or u will flood it out like hell...other then this and the wheel bearings going out every year nothing major...lol
Old 03-26-2012, 10:06 PM

I could be wrong but it sounds a bit like your fuel pump. Same symptoms happened on my mothers jeep. Once we replaced the fuel pump, there was never a cold start. I was reading forums about jeeps etc and many indicated o2 sensors, etc but once I replaced the fuel pump.... VIOLA!!! never had those hard starts again..

Have you checked what your fuel pressure is at? Correct me if I am wrong but it should be about 42-44 psi if I am not mistaken. Also I see it is a 1999... Just a heads up keep an eye out for the NATS (NIssan Antitheft System) which is only in the 99 model of 4th gens and it has given me a PITA a while back... I dont think this is the problem in your situation though...

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:22 PM

i dont 100% think that not being able to flood our cars is true, but that neither here nor there.AS far as your issue, id say to change your fuel pump. I experienced this same exact issue. I changed sensor after sensor after doing reading and seaching on here, and had the same problem. Even changed the ignition switch. Then one day out of the blue, no start at all. So i tried everything to get it to start, bought starter fluid and all, and it wound up starting with the starter fluid and then dying. I then went and changed the fuel pump and i havent had a starting issue since.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:49 PM

yea i havent got to do a fuel pressure check on it yet but im leaning towards a fuel pump or the injectors or even fuel pressure reglator imm toy with it some more tommrow its runs great just gotta have it top shape for wifey n babys cruisin in it
Old 03-27-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by deloa84
I could be wrong but it sounds a bit like your fuel pump. Same symptoms happened on my mothers jeep. Once we replaced the fuel pump, there was never a cold start. I was reading forums about jeeps etc and many indicated o2 sensors, etc but once I replaced the fuel pump.... VIOLA!!! never had those hard starts again..

Have you checked what your fuel pressure is at? Correct me if I am wrong but it should be about 42-44 psi if I am not mistaken. Also I see it is a 1999... Just a heads up keep an eye out for the NATS (NIssan Antitheft System) which is only in the 99 model of 4th gens and it has given me a PITA a while back... I dont think this is the problem in your situation though...

GOOD LUCK!!
ty sir but no i havent ey checked it i have to check it to see buy yea 43-46 psi somehting around there imma check and see and let ya know..and the anti theft is a joke lol
Old 03-27-2012, 07:40 PM

Fuel pump or maybe a clogged fuel filter? It's a cheap and easy option you could try if you feel it is worth the $11
Old 03-27-2012, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by CallMeThatOneGuy
Fuel pump or maybe a clogged fuel filter? It's a cheap and easy option you could try if you feel it is worth the $11
yea imma try that this weekend..what do ya think about going on ahead and getting a little bit bigger fuel pump for it..think it would hurt anything still stock injectors