4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

failed e-test horribly(posted results)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:28 PM

failed e-test horribly(posted results)

Hi guys, been a while since Ive been on here. Sold the car to my gf, and she had to do e-test to renew license plate sticker. It failed bad, but only under acceleration. Here are the results. HC ppm limit is 60, reading 202. CO% limit is 0.33, reading 0.52. Now this one is way over the roof. NO ppm limit is 450, reading 1560!!! This was my old car, it has an aftermarket y-pipe with all factory 02's still in, and a Megan cat back exhaust. Now I already e-tested before I sold it to her with the same stuff installed and passed great about 1 1/2 years ago. I do know that the 02 sensor from the y-pipe closest to the firewall(front bank 1?) has one wire that is ripped out from the sensor. And was reading P0400 and P0135, and P0325. EGR lean flow, 02 sensor, and knock sensor. She also had a big leak at the gasket right before the cat from the y-pipe( I could feel the air literally blowing down) Now I took out the EGR tube, is really clean still(cleaned it about 3 years ago). She ordered another 02 sensor from Nissan, and I had an extra cat sitting around with about 5k on it tops, so pretty much new. Im gonna put the cat on tonight hopefully if it stops raining/hailing, i also still want to check the EGR valve diaphragm, I dont think its moving too much, or as much as it should be. Can anyone give me some pointers she has to do e-test tomorrow again, or her sticker is no longer valid, since on Sunday it changes to April.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:34 PM

did she wait until the cat warmed up to take it? On the Y closest to the firewall would be bank 2 sensor 1. If you have codes and exhaust leaks then I wouldn't expect to pass from just a new 02 and a newish cat. Sounds like a lot is going wrong though GL
Old 03-30-2012, 02:48 PM

I do know that the 02 sensor from the y-pipe closest to the firewall(front bank 1?) has one wire that is ripped out from the sensor. And was reading P0400 and P0135, and P0325. EGR lean flow, 02 sensor, and knock sensor. She also had a big leak at the gasket right before the cat from the y-pipe
There you go. wire ripped out from sensor = bad. New O2 needed, you said ordered, good. Replace it. Knock sensor, don't worry about, since it's a ghosst code and will not cause you to fail emissions.

Leaks are bad too.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by vilmaxima
I do know that the 02 sensor from the y-pipe closest to the firewall(front bank 1?) has one wire that is ripped out from the sensor. And was reading P0400 and P0135, and P0325. EGR lean flow, 02 sensor, and knock sensor. She also had a big leak at the gasket right before the cat from the y-pipe( I could feel the air literally blowing down) .
'Nuff said here.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:44 PM

Sounds like you explained fixes for all your own problems! lol now, just fix um, reset the ECU and let it relearn with a couple drive cycles. Should be fine. Why, might i ask, did you even try to test it with all those problems?
Old 03-31-2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by max_dreamer
Sounds like you explained fixes for all your own problems! lol now, just fix um, reset the ECU and let it relearn with a couple drive cycles. Should be fine. Why, might i ask, did you even try to test it with all those problems?
I did not know she was taking it for an e-test. And also did not know about the codes and whatnot until I looked at the car after failing the test.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:51 AM

So I managed to get the old cat off last night by myself in the rain with the help of a log to support the exhaust. From the cat to mid-pipe was not a problem since the bolts were pretty much new still. Now from the y-pipe to cat, I could not get the nuts off they were so rusty and ended up using a grinder to cut them off. I went and got two exhaust gaskets and will start to install the newer cat in about an hour. Hopefully the gaskets should fix the leaks, and I also have some exhaust joint and seal maker(something like that) that I will use on it. I have one question about the cat. The actual pipe sticks out a little further than the flange, but on my mid-pipe it is flush. Should I grind down the pipe that sticks out so both flanges will sit flush together? Thanks for the help so far guys.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:25 AM

Dang, sound like your GF might need a lesson or two in car maintenance! lol The bright orange light isnt for show! lol

The cat removal sounds about typical. Those things ALWAYS rust out! The flange and the extended pipe is normal too, and you shouldnt have to grind it unless it catches on the new cat and keeps them from sitting flush. Hope all goes well!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by max_dreamer
Dang, sound like your GF might need a lesson or two in car maintenance! lol The bright orange light isnt for show! lol

The cat removal sounds about typical. Those things ALWAYS rust out! The flange and the extended pipe is normal too, and you shouldnt have to grind it unless it catches on the new cat and keeps them from sitting flush. Hope all goes well!!!
LOL, Im pretty sure she has learned her lesson. Damn check engine light must have been on for so long cause I just checked the bulb since it didnt come on when I looked today and it was burnt out. Yea I think the flange from my Megan mid-pipe will not sit flush with the cats short pipe that has the last 02 sensor on it, so I might have to grind it down. I dont wanna risk having an exhaust leak there.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:32 PM

I got everything put back together, does not seem to be any leaks at all from either gaskets. I started it up and it sounded a lot better and smelt a lot cleaner(from exhaust) but I noticed a ticking noise coming from around the IACV, it is NOT the tick the injectors make, it is louder about 1 tick per second!!! I did notice her CPS sensor(top) was leaking oil quite a bit, redid the seal and checked her oil(this might explain belt squeal she has been starting to experience also, leaking onto the belt). She was under Low!!! I try to get her to check oil at least twice a month(do not know if she does). That was it for that day, today we are gonna put oil back into it, and take it around the neighbourhood a few runs. Would having low oil make this ticking noise? And also could it be a contribution it played in her failing the NOx by about x3 over the limit? I do know high NOx could also be caused by high engine or exhaust temperatures. Her coolant is fine. Tranny fluid has great colour and does not smell burnt at all.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:52 PM

ticking could be timing chain rattle...
Old 04-03-2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
ticking could be timing chain rattle...
Its not. Timing chain is on opposite side of the engine and I dont think it would be a "timed" click, it would just sound like a chain kinda loose. The noise is coming from around the IACV. Appreciate the help tho.