4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how to install the stillen clip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:15 AM

how to install the stillen clip?

Hi, i just purchased a front bumper lip from stillen for my 1997 Maxi
my friend and I gonna paint and install it by ourselves.

while I received the lip, we found it's really just a clip, without the bottom part attach to screw holes on the bottom of the front bumper.

anyone has the stillen lip/clip on your MAXi?
what's the best way to put it on the car?
double face tape? or any place is the best spot to put the screws?

please give me some ideas, or pictures.
Thanks

Last edited by hangout; 04-08-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:43 AM

first off its a LIP. second off, i dont have one but id imagine the best way to mount it would be drilling holes and using the stock hardware? unless there is no flange to drill holes and bolt up. i really doubt even 3m doubelfaced tape would hold that too well, seeing that its bound to hit ****.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Administrator

For the 97-99 Stillen lip, it's really easy.

In the center, you can use either double sided tape or screw it down (put the the screws as far back as possible so they're not easily seen). Personally, I used double sided tape is this area.

Then, use one screw in each of the wheel wells. Done. IIRC, I used an OEM screw too. After mocking up the lip where it's suppose to go, I figured out where the OEM screw would line up on the lip, I then removed the OEM screw, drilled the hole in the Stillen lip, and reinstalled the screw.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:05 PM

ah i thought these lips would come with some sort of flange that could line up with the stock hardware that holds the splash shields to the bumper.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
first off its a LIP. second off, i dont have one but id imagine the best way to mount it would be drilling holes and using the stock hardware? unless there is no flange to drill holes and bolt up. i really doubt even 3m doubelfaced tape would hold that too well, seeing that its bound to hit ****.

sorry to say, you might don't know what I'm talking about this Stillen LIP. if you deal with body kits a lot with all these toys, then you might know what those double face tape for

Last edited by hangout; 04-08-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
For the 97-99 Stillen lip, it's really easy.

In the center, you can use either double sided tape or screw it down (put the the screws as far back as possible so they're not easily seen). Personally, I used double sided tape is this area.

Then, use one screw in each of the wheel wells. Done. IIRC, I used an OEM screw too. After mocking up the lip where it's suppose to go, I figured out where the OEM screw would line up on the lip, I then removed the OEM screw, drilled the hole in the Stillen lip, and reinstalled the screw.
Thanks for your advise, that's what we planning to do.
the question is, the end of each side of the lip, should they go up where the OEM screw located? or just reach the end of the wheel wells trim?
also, if we pull up the end of the lip to catch the OEM screw, then there is some gap space between the lip and the front bumper ( on the side in front the wheel)
do you use the silicone to fill it up?
Old 04-09-2012, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by hangout
sorry to say, you might don't know what I'm talking about this Stillen LIP. if you deal with body kits a lot with all these toys, then you might know what those double face tape for
i clearly stated that ive never actually dealt with a stillen lip. ive delt with double sided tape plenty of times, i was just saying that with that alone i doubt it would stay on long.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Banned

+1 on Wizards comment. Very, easy once you get an idea of how the lip sits on the bumper.

They're should not be gap space if installed correctly. Also, that OEM screw is NOT mandatory for installation, its just more convenient since its there already. The Stillen lip should fit like a glove.

When installing my lip, I used drywall screws and drilled 2 right on each side of wheel well. WHY drywall screws? Because that's what I had around the house and it worked flawlessly. Didn't even use double sided 3M tape, but thats up to you and whatever makes you feel comfortable as far as the lips secure fit on the bumper. Some use both screws and 3M tape.

GL with paint & install
Old 04-09-2012, 12:27 PM

what clip!??
the lip slides unto the lower part of the bumper, and screws and double sided tape should be used to have it firm on.