4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

31 mpg averge in my max

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 07:44 AM

Aaron, I raise your 38mpg with my 21mpg...........come at me bro
Old 04-13-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
31 mpg?

Like I said, if you don't care, don't read it, lol
Old 04-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Gram Lights addict

you dont need to turn off your car. that is the dumbest thing ive ever heard, specially going downhill. just dump it in neutral and get your foot off the gas,
Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
Aaron, I raise your 38mpg with my 21mpg...........come at me bro
~9 MPG

Get. On. Mylevah.

(trackday@msrhoustonwentthroughahalftanklikeBLAM)

Originally Posted by Timm80
Like I said, if you don't care, don't read it, lol
Like I said

Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by artilarygoboom
putting your car in neutral uses gas, when your off the gas and coasting the engine uses the rotations of the transmission to stay running, when you put it in neutral, its not getting the rotations from the transmission and it keeps your injectors running to keep the engine running.
This guy is absolutely correct. Putting the car in neutral uses gas, engine breaking uses NO gas.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
This guy is absolutely correct. Putting the car in neutral uses gas, engine breaking uses NO gas.
Thank you, i did an experiment with a wideband, and would watch it lean completly out, and when in netrual, it would keep air/fuel ratios around 14:1...its also on howstuffworks.com
Old 04-13-2012, 10:25 PM
SLOW

shutting off your car while moving to save gas is absolutely asinine... both from a safety standpoint and since your fuel injectors magically go to 0ms pulse width above 1500rpm when you let off the gas while still in gear.

look it up boys, that's how it works.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:13 AM

Vegas to Fresno Cali

No cruise control, 5 speed. One tank!34 mpg who got better?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:44 AM

I got...30-31 mpg on my trip fom ct to pa last summer... cruise contol 30% of the trip 70-75 rest of trip... gas mileage also reflects on road surface(uphill downhill straight or twisty).
Old 04-14-2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by FallenOne

Using the unharnessed potential energy created by the alternator isn't a scam, case and point; regenerative breaking.

And because I can already forsee someone mentioning that hybrid vehicle's with electric motors' dont use alternators', **** you; electric motors in the transmission.

I hope your brain is still full of ****..
Old 04-14-2012, 02:58 PM

Wow 31 MPG, 500+ miles to one tank!

I use my trip odometer thingy to measure how far I go with each fill up and not once has it ever gone above 300.

My MPG has been stubbornly at 21-23, ever since I got my car. Someone must have swapped your engine with a 4 cylinder. lol
Old 04-14-2012, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Timm80
Well, see, if you have these things called muscles, you can use them to manually brake and manually steer your car. Its possible, I'm only slightly muscular, and I did it. People always did it up until the 1960's when power brakes and power steering started to come standard in cars. And as far as it being illegal, so begs the question... who really gives a flying ****? Technically going 46 mph in a 45mph zone is illegal, not stopping at the white line at a stop sign is illegal, jay walking is illegal, but people do these things all the time.
If you turn the wheel to far when the car is off the wheel will lock in place. happened to me when i turned my car off when my gauges got funky on me.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by VQPOWERGLE
If you turn the wheel to far when the car is off the wheel will lock in place. happened to me when i turned my car off when my gauges got funky on me.
thats why he said keep the key on engine off, steering wheel wont lock then...and ive shut my car off while coasting a few times, your brake booster holds enough vaccum to allow your car to stop at least once incase of an emergency where the engine stalled or blew up...so youll still have brakes as long as you dont ride them..and i havent had power streering in 2 years...i can still turn just as fast when moving...so theres no difference to me when i shut my car off...but like he had said before dont do it in traffic
Old 04-14-2012, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by NismoAce
I agree here. A car designed for power steering and power brakes are completely different then the old cars that had neither. The ratios in both braking and power steering allowed you to effectivly stop and steer the car without assistance.
Older cars that did not come with power steering have their steering racks designed differently. When you disconnect your power steering, or in this case, turn your car off, you're working against the resistance of the fluid in the system to steer it.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:44 PM

why are you guys still talking abouting turning off the car? We have already established thats its retarded..
Old 04-17-2012, 10:00 AM

extreme econo driving lol

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
you dont need to turn off your car. that is the dumbest thing ive ever heard, specially going downhill. just dump it in neutral and get your foot off the gas,
actually both his and your idea are dumb lol . If you shift in neutral you'll be using fuel to keep the car idling but if you leave it in gear anywhere above like 1200 rpm and let go of gas then injectors shut off and you're not using fuel. you don't need to turn it off lol plus steering is gonna be heavy as **** if you have to swerve for something...

i get 560km / tank (61L i believe) driving normally -not super econo- but no wide open throttle either and 30% highway driving = 10.9L/100km. 00vi, de-k injectors, y pipe back. not bad for having 1 bolt holding down egr tube (inlet side,egr code, oops) and no iacv plugged in lol so at idle i waste fuel for having an inefficient idle setup (for now). once all is done and tune i might be able to see 600km.

i remember getting around 490km/tank with 1 bad o2 sensor on USIM. OP, get a y pipe, K&N replacement filter and you might get an extra 2-3mpg... swap in a 5spd with flywheel and you might see 35+ mpg!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 AM
dot dot dot ...

putting your car in neutral uses gas, when your off the gas and coasting the engine uses the rotations of the transmission to stay running, when you put it in neutral, its not getting the rotations from the transmission and it keeps your injectors running to keep the engine running.
Cliffs:

AFR goes off scale 19.9 when in gear with no throttle, down a hill
AFR goes to 14.7 when in neutral coasting down a hill

Because IPW is near zero in the former situation, and in the latter, ECU will add fuel for 14.7.

Case in point, leave it in gear to get better MPG.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:42 PM

With this tank-full I never passed 2,000 rpms and mostly stayed at 1,500.
I cruised at stops and lights. Drove like a grandmother.

I got 28 mpg in city.
I usually get 26 in city.

My car is well tuned, no lights, synt. oil, AC off, windows up with 165,000 miles.
I think this is the best I can do.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:19 PM

The way I see it, if you want better fuel economy, buy a better fuel efficient car, such as a Sentra/Corolla/Civic/Focus, or something similar.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
The way I see it, if you want better fuel economy, buy a better fuel efficient car, such as a Sentra/Corolla/Civic/Focus, or something similar.
Sometimes you don't have the option to buy another car.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Justaguy
Sometimes you don't have the option to buy another car.
QFT
Old 04-18-2012, 04:41 PM

If you own a max and you cant achieve more than 300 to a tank of gas give me the keys and youre credit card and ill show you how to do it... its called maintenance and repairs..18.5 gallon tank and an average of 25 mpg... do the math..even at 21 mpg thats over 300... therefore.youd be getting about 14 mpg or less with an 18.5 gallon tank...when i drove to PA last summer i filled to FULL.. meaning car couldnt take anymore at all drove.to PA and slightly round town while i was there and probably back to jersey before i NEEDED gas...
Old 04-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Cliffs:

AFR goes off scale 19.9 when in gear with no throttle, down a hill
AFR goes to 14.7 when in neutral coasting down a hill

Because IPW is near zero in the former situation, and in the latter, ECU will add fuel for 14.7.

Case in point, leave it in gear to get better MPG.
That is very interesting....did not know that, BUT

when in neutral the car will roll along farther than when in gear. Rotational mass.

In gear you have the rotational mass and frictional losses of the wheels, transmission, and motor to consider.
Out of gear you have just the wheels.

So on the positive side, leaving it in gear saves gas.
On the negative side, leaving it in gear slows the car down faster.

I wonder if it's a wash. Perhaps not.

And to go further, the bigger and heavier the rims you have on your car, the better it will get rolling along in neutral because the momentum derived from the rotational mass of the heavier wheels would make it roll along farther.

DW
Old 05-18-2012, 06:06 PM

Just my experience here.

I got my 95 SE last August. The only time I've gotten below 30MPG highway was between late Jan. and end of Apr. Nothing different on my part, same boring drive M-F, cruise on at 70/71MPH. I got 24.3 - 25.8 MPG. It was like someone flipped a switch and BAM, crappy mileage.

I say it was because of "Winter" fuel. They change the formula during what's expected to be the coldest months.

Three weeks ago, BAM, 30+ MPG.

Also, watch out for what your pump dispenses. I have a five gallon gas can with markings at 1 gal intervals. The pump said 6.2 gal but the can said 5. I've used this can for years and it's always matched. I walked inside with the tank and showed them. They didn't even hesitate to offer me a full refund in cash. Good thing I took a cell pic of the receipt and pump meter because they kept the receipt and by the time I got to the pump, it had been zeroed out. This was at a busy BP station. When I got home I printed the images, wrote a letter to the County auditor and dropped it off the next day. The lady who gave me a receipt for all of that said "oh great, another example." When I drove by the station the next day, that whole row of pumps was taped off.

I've heard this is happening much more frequently, so check your meter with your mileage. If it doesn't look right, it might not be.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:20 PM

If you are turning off your car down a hill to save gas; then you probably shouldn't be driving a maxima. Get a prius and be happy.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
That is very interesting....did not know that, BUT

when in neutral the car will roll along farther than when in gear. Rotational mass.

In gear you have the rotational mass and frictional losses of the wheels, transmission, and motor to consider.
Out of gear you have just the wheels.

So on the positive side, leaving it in gear saves gas.
On the negative side, leaving it in gear slows the car down faster.

I wonder if it's a wash. Perhaps not.

And to go further, the bigger and heavier the rims you have on your car, the better it will get rolling along in neutral because the momentum derived from the rotational mass of the heavier wheels would make it roll along farther.

DW
Also as a negative of having bigger and heavier wheels, you lose MPG when the car is lugging those wheels around while giving it gas. It's a win/lose any way you look at it.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
Also as a negative of having bigger and heavier wheels, you lose MPG when the car is lugging those wheels around while giving it gas. It's a win/lose any way you look at it.
I used to have Staggered G35 17s but they felt heavy....lost some style points and got myself some NA 300zx wheels. Felt the difference right away. The best I've gotten in 26mpg. 391 miles on a 15gal tank. I do a lot of stop and go on every block, a lot of idle. Damn Los Angeles is so populated
Old 05-21-2012, 01:14 AM

Whenever my car randomly decides to die completely while driving, i can say with certainty that i can still steer and brake...with a bit of manpower. That being said, it's never a fun experience and wouldn't do it on purpose haha
Old 05-21-2012, 01:50 PM
L36

Someone should edit OPs post with the whole "turn off your car to save gas"
In this world, there are dumb things, and retarded things.
This is just upright both.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
Back in the near stock 5mt days I always got 25 in the city and 27 on the highway on my staggered G35 wheels (Intake and Y-Pipe were the only mods).

Now not to say you're wrong.

I got a repetitive 36 on the highway w/ the 6mt on the G35 Coupe wheels but when I went to my racing wheels (only on the rears!!) even for a road trip I got 38 repetitively and 40 on the car's last adventure to Baton Rouge.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:10 PM

If your getting that kind of mileage your doing it wrong, 36 is crazyness. I get low mileage because race car
Old 05-22-2012, 08:03 AM

#4... oh man, this sounds dangerous. Plus, when you start your car it uses a good amount of gas/energy so it's almost a washout. And this theory onl works where there are hills, if you live in illinois or some other flatlands than #4 is not even a question.

I average 28 mpg on the street driving moderatly aggresive, and 33 on the highway.
Clean your iacv, cps, egr/tube, pcv, intake, throttle body yada yada... tires inflated and aligned (mine are slightly out of alignment). But turning your car off? You can damage your tranny if it doesn't catch just right and that's gonna cost a lot more than the gas you save.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:40 AM

Today was my first login to the org in over a month, and the first thing I see is one of my forums at the top of the page... I don't know whether this is a good thing or a bad thing... haha. Either way good to see that there are other people besides me that care about fuel economy.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by stromm
Just my experience here.

I got my 95 SE last August. The only time I've gotten below 30MPG highway was between late Jan. and end of Apr. Nothing different on my part, same boring drive M-F, cruise on at 70/71MPH. I got 24.3 - 25.8 MPG. It was like someone flipped a switch and BAM, crappy mileage.

I say it was because of "Winter" fuel. They change the formula during what's expected to be the coldest months.

Three weeks ago, BAM, 30+ MPG.

Also, watch out for what your pump dispenses. I have a five gallon gas can with markings at 1 gal intervals. The pump said 6.2 gal but the can said 5. I've used this can for years and it's always matched. I walked inside with the tank and showed them. They didn't even hesitate to offer me a full refund in cash. Good thing I took a cell pic of the receipt and pump meter because they kept the receipt and by the time I got to the pump, it had been zeroed out. This was at a busy BP station. When I got home I printed the images, wrote a letter to the County auditor and dropped it off the next day. The lady who gave me a receipt for all of that said "oh great, another example." When I drove by the station the next day, that whole row of pumps was taped off.

I've heard this is happening much more frequently, so check your meter with your mileage. If it doesn't look right, it might not be.
Very interesting point, thanks for bringing this up. I've notcied before when I'm pumping gas that it seems like I pumped many more gallons then I should have. I'm definitely trying this out myself. I live in the Chicago suburbs in a pretty affluent city, where people don't give two ****s about how much money they spend, so this would be the perfect place for a gas station to manipulate the pump machines.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:45 AM

Here in Montreal, a few gas stations were caught by price fixing scheme. Ultramar (one of the largest marketers and refiners of petroleum products in the country) was fined 1.8 million

That's petty cash considering they make billions.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
If your getting that kind of mileage your doing it wrong, 36 is crazyness. I get low mileage because race car
I guess Corvette's aren't race cars

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...Picture006.jpg

Old 05-22-2012, 01:31 PM
dot dot dot ...

Name:  Image002-2.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  14.7 KB 92.0 MPG here
Old 05-22-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Justaguy
Here in Montreal, a few gas stations were caught by price fixing scheme. Ultramar (one of the largest marketers and refiners of petroleum products in the country) was fined 1.8 million

That's petty cash considering they make billions.
The point is not that they are stealing $5 or $10 from me (although that reason alone would be enough to call them out). The point is that they are scamming people and think they can get away with it. If they can get away with stealing $10 from you, they'll try to steal $20, and then $30, and so on. I'm definitely not going to be a pushover and let them take advantage of me.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
I guess Corvette's aren't race cars

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...Picture006.jpg

I thought this was the 4th gen forum.....must be in the wrong section again lol. If you must know my MPG numbers.......about 20 lol
Old 05-22-2012, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by artilarygoboom
Thank you, i did an experiment with a wideband, and would watch it lean completly out, and when in netrual, it would keep air/fuel ratios around 14:1...its also on howstuffworks.com
^this^ i cant believe no one knows what fuel cutoff is....

Quick Reply: 31 mpg averge in my max