4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

31 mpg averge in my max

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:17 PM

31 mpg averge in my max

Wanna average 31.4 mpg in a 4th gen maxima?... I know it possible, because I have done it! I was reading some articles and watching some videos about hypermiling (I know there are guys on here who don't give a **** about fuel economy, so those of you that don't, stop reading. Otherwise, read on.) and I decied to experiment with it myself. Heres what I changed about my driving habits:

1) Maximum speed of 5 mph over the speed limit

2) Very light use of the throttle, don't let your engine rev above 2k rpms for an extended period of time

3) Always keep the momentum of your car going (follow far behind other drivers because they may turn soon, instead of breaking just let off the gas, use the most straight line possible when taking turns, etc.)

4) When you know you are going to be coasting down a hill for an extended range, turn your car off completely, but then switch your ignition back into the on position so your tachometer records the distance you have traveled)

5) When you know you are going to be coasting or sitting still for an extended period of time, shift your car into neutral if you don't want to turn your engine off.

These are the 5 basic rules I used when driving my car on the last tank, and over 502 miles I used 15.982 gallons of gas. Well, when you divide 502 miles by 15.982 galllons of gas, on average, I traveled 31.4 mpg on a gallon of gas. Oh and by the way... none of these miles were highway miles. I didn't drive once on the highway on this tank of gas. Oh, again, by the way... my car is a 4 speed automatic, with no weight reduction at all. It would be interesting to see what someone could achieve with weight reduction, a 5 speed manual, and some highway driving. So, for those of you who won't be racing during the week, and want to get a few more mpg while making the trek back and forth to work, try this method out, and I think you'll be thoroughly surprised.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:19 PM

I get about 20mpg on a good day lol. ask me how
Old 04-12-2012, 03:20 PM

it is completely possible and I usually get those numbers with mine... I will also add another bullet point:

Check tire pressure constantly and make sure your alignment is perfect...
Old 04-12-2012, 03:29 PM

I'd skip #4, I would still keep the engine on for brakes, steering, and acceleration in case of emergency.

Everything else looks good. Nice work.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:34 PM

only an idiot.is going to ****.off their car while driving... not only do your brakes.not function the same but no power steering and im pretty sure its illegal
Old 04-12-2012, 03:37 PM

Yea its kind of like, with a manual tranny, when you cheat and are decelerating you switch to neutral which is easy yea but what if you need to quickly avoid something? bad idea. Keep engine on for sure
Old 04-12-2012, 03:41 PM

I average 23mpg with 70city/30hwy. 4 speed auto. 300zx wheels. My alignment is out of whack due to faulty rack/pinion. The only thing I would never do is #4
Old 04-12-2012, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
only an idiot.is going to ****.off their car while driving... not only do your brakes.not function the same but no power steering and im pretty sure its illegal
Well, see, if you have these things called muscles, you can use them to manually brake and manually steer your car. Its possible, I'm only slightly muscular, and I did it. People always did it up until the 1960's when power brakes and power steering started to come standard in cars. And as far as it being illegal, so begs the question... who really gives a flying ****? Technically going 46 mph in a 45mph zone is illegal, not stopping at the white line at a stop sign is illegal, jay walking is illegal, but people do these things all the time.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:50 PM

It also helps to leave 5-10 minutes early so you aren't driving more aggressively to get somewhere on time.

Personally, I don't turn the engine off to get better fuel economy, but most other hypermiling techniques have become second nature.

Nice job OP. Any exhaust mods?

Last edited by schmellyfart; 04-12-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Timm80
Well, see, if you have these things called muscles, you can use them to manually brake and manually steer your car. Its possible, I'm only slightly muscular, and I did it. People always did it up until the 1960's when power brakes and power steering started to come standard in cars. And as far as it being illegal, so begs the question... who really gives a flying ****? Technically going 46 mph in a 45mph zone is illegal, not stopping at the white line at a stop sign is illegal, jay walking is illegal, but people do these things all the time.
Muscles have nothing to do with anything here lol. The brakes pump up and have little travel and eventually you get no braking power bc the peddle wont move an inch and it would take a lot of effort/time to get stopped which isn't a good idea dude
Old 04-12-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
Plus, coasting with your engine off is one of the best ways to increase the distance you travel with a gallon of gas. Think about it... when you are coasting down a hill with the engine off, you are effectively achieving infinite mpg, because you aren't using a drop of gas. I have traveled anywhere from a quarter of a mile to a half a mile with my engine off while coasting down a hill... and have done that dozens of times on my last tank of gas. You add up all those 1/4 and 1/2 miles and its substantial fuel savings by the time you are done. I guess if your a twig and can't manually brake or steer then don't do it, but if you have just even moderate muscle its definitely possible and plausible to do.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Got Retrofit?

inb4aackshun
Old 04-12-2012, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
inb4aackshun
Was about to post this
Old 04-12-2012, 04:00 PM

Again muscle has nothing to do with anything
Old 04-12-2012, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Muscles have nothing to do with anything here lol. The brakes pump up and have little travel and eventually you get no braking power bc the peddle wont move an inch and it would take a lot of effort/time to get stopped which isn't a good idea dude
Let me tell ya, when your trying to manually steer, your gonna need your muscles lol. I coasted and braked down literally dozens of hills on the last tank of gas I used and didn't have a problem with it, but I guess my advice is try it out somewhere there isn't a lot of traffic and other cars and see if it works for you. Or if your really worried, just don't try it at all.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Administrator

#4 may sound good in theory, but I would never ever practice it or advise someone to try it.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
It also helps to leave 5-10 minutes early so you aren't driving more aggressively to get somewhere on time.

Personally, I don't turn the engine off to get better fuel economy, but most other hypermiling techniques have become second nature.

Nice job OP. Any exhaust mods?
Thanks, good advice. Yeah I cut my cat out and just installed a straight pipe, so now my exhaust smells really good .
Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 PM

Best way to save gas: drive slower. End of story here
Old 04-12-2012, 04:28 PM

I'm averaging 28-30mpg (4 speed auto, no weight reduction) with about 60/40 (hwy/city) driving @ between 65mph and 75mph on highway w/ 93 octane. I usually slap it into neutral if I know I'm going to have to stop and I do have a tendency to be a bit on the aggressive side while driving.

The most I've seen from my Maxima was on a drive from Cincinnati to Columbus and back last year (entirely highway), got 35mpg doing 70-75mph both ways with limited use of cruise control (about 25% of trip) and running 93 octane... filled up before getting on the highway and filled up the following day.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Best way to save gas: drive slower. End of story here
^^ agreed
Old 04-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Timm80
You should keep in mind that the power steering does its hardest work at low speeds, like in parking lot. As the car goes faster, steering becomes easier, and the power steering dials back the boost.

So what you feel in the steering wheel at 46 mph with no power steering becomes much much more difficult at 5 mph with no power steering.

DW
Old 04-12-2012, 04:50 PM

i shall try everything...except #4. sounds to dangerous and dumb...even for me...i've ran my 5spd manual in neutral on downhills, but never shut it off...i think i value my life just a little bit.

oh and btw...i'm getting about 19mpg. lol
Old 04-12-2012, 05:05 PM

I use cruise control as often as possible and no hard acceleration. Since I'm hardly involved in stop and go driving...Have you tried using cruise control Timm80?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
You should keep in mind that the power steering does its hardest work at low speeds, like in parking lot. As the car goes faster, steering becomes easier, and the power steering dials back the boost.

So what you feel in the steering wheel at 46 mph with no power steering becomes much much more difficult at 5 mph with no power steering.

DW
Oh I know, I've taken a few turns going 10 mph or less. I didn't say to shut off your engine in a parking lot or tight space, I said to shut off your engine when coasting down a hill.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by felorojas14
I use cruise control as often as possible and no hard acceleration. Since I'm hardly involved in stop and go driving...Have you tried using cruise control Timm80?
Yes, I use cruise control while on the highway, but I didn't drive on the highway at all last tank.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Banned

good info although i already somewhat drive very similar to the OP's info, disregarding the shut car off part lol and besides a little spirited driving
Old 04-12-2012, 06:31 PM

are you kidding me #4 ?SMH i think that's a bad idea just to save some GAS ill prefer not risk my live or anyone else buy shutting the car off,when the car is off the brake don't funtion.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stonelove670
are you kidding me #4 ?SMH i think that's a bad idea just to save some GAS ill prefer not risk my live or anyone else buy shutting the car off,when the car is off the brake don't funtion.
The brakes most definitely do function when your car is shut off, just you don't have the convenience of using your brake booster. Its really not that big of a deal... lol... You just have to apply about twice as much force as you would when your vehicle is running. If you can find a large parking lot with little to cars in it then try it out in your free time.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 PM

Would putting the car in neutral when going down a little slant (say for about 1/4 mile) help?

I'm doing some tests as well....driving like a granny, coasting to lights/stops, going very easy on the pedal.

I currently average 26mpg but I want more.....also been looking at HHO. I know a lot of people think it's a scam (mostly from people that never tried it).
Old 04-12-2012, 07:28 PM

so what happens when you are coasting down hill and some d-bag pulls out in front of you and there is but mere milliseconds to react, and you are screwed because you have effectively killed power brakes and power steering because you cut the car off?

Oh thats right, you slam into them.....thus slowing you down and screwing up your momentum (LOLOL)

Last edited by tigersharkdude; 04-12-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:02 PM

putting your car in neutral uses gas, when your off the gas and coasting the engine uses the rotations of the transmission to stay running, when you put it in neutral, its not getting the rotations from the transmission and it keeps your injectors running to keep the engine running.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by artilarygoboom
putting your car in neutral uses gas, when your off the gas and coasting the engine uses the rotations of the transmission to stay running, when you put it in neutral, its not getting the rotations from the transmission and it keeps your injectors running to keep the engine running.
umm, your engine is still firing when you are off the gas..... its called idle

Please explain how my car will move without me touching the gas, from a stop

Last edited by tigersharkdude; 04-12-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Justaguy
Would putting the car in neutral when going down a little slant (say for about 1/4 mile) help?

I'm doing some tests as well....driving like a granny, coasting to lights/stops, going very easy on the pedal.

I currently average 26mpg but I want more.....also been looking at HHO. I know a lot of people think it's a scam (mostly from people that never tried it).
Using the unharnessed potential energy created by the alternator isn't a scam, case and point; regenerative breaking.

And because I can already forsee someone mentioning that hybrid vehicle's with electric motors' dont use alternators', **** you; electric motors in the transmission.

Last edited by FallenOne; 04-12-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:11 AM

so we all agree idea #4 isn't good. our cars only burn .8 gallons of gas an hour at idle speed anyways. might as well keep your car on just to be safe.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:26 AM

It is true that your car will use less gas coasting down a hill then say if you driving on a flat plain, but it will still use more gas when in gear then if shifted into neutral. When your car is in neutral, the only thing that it needs turn is the engine and accessories. Your engine will use VERY little gas when doing this. When your car is shifted into gear it has turn your engine, accessories, and the drivetrain which moves the 1 1/2 ton car. This will always use more gas even if your coasting down hill then when your car is in neutral because the difference in mass that your engine needs to turn is so much greater.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:24 AM

Put it this way... saving gas is great.... BUT if youre that much of a cheap **** and need to shut your car off while coasting downhill...just leave the car off and stay home...its a maxima not a viper so you shouldnt worry to much
Old 04-13-2012, 04:53 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I average 30 on trips, it's called cruise control.
One thing I completely disagree with regarding your tips, NEVER turn the engine off while your driving. It's extremely dangerous. You'll lose power steering instantly and your power booster for the brakes will only have limited vacuum to work correctly.
That's extremely dangerous to do.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:03 AM

I agree here. A car designed for power steering and power brakes are completely different then the old cars that had neither. The ratios in both braking and power steering allowed you to effectivly stop and steer the car without assistance.

I hate to be a debby downer here but I would feel horrible if I didnt say something and you hurt your self. Please be careful.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:29 AM

dam and i thought i was doin good getting 24 mpg average. 4# doesnt seem to smart tho
Old 04-13-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
inb4aackshun
Originally Posted by Metallica
Was about to post this
31 mpg?

Quick Reply: 31 mpg averge in my max