4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A/C Controls stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:35 PM

A/C Controls stopped working

A few months ago I inherited a 1995 Maxima SE with a Bose head unit that was not working. It would not power up at all or output any audio. The A/C controls were working fine, 100%. Well I decided removing the Bose unit would motivate me to install a new radio, so I did. Problem was I lost all controls to the A/C. The car actually still blew cold air at 100%, but I was not able to control it at all. I figured the Bose head unit powered the A/C controls and as soon as I installed a new radio I would regain the controls. About a month later and the A/C stopped blowing. I just installed a new JVC KD-AHD79 with a rewire to 4 Kicker DS65's tonight and was hoping the A/C controls would come back to life......no luck. Any ideas?

Obligatory noob speech: I searched without any relevant information. I'm loving this forum and have already purchased a shifter trim piece from the classified section. Thanks
Old 05-04-2012, 09:51 PM

Do you mean that the **** that controls the fan speed Is not working on anything except #4 setting or is nothing working? Is everything plugged in to it? Fuses all good? If it is the fan only blowing on the #4 setting, you need a new blower motor resistor.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:59 PM

I don't have *****, my A/C controls look like the picture below. That entire unit lost power when I removed the Bose unit. Nothing lights up. But for a solid month if I turned on the car, it would blow cold air at 100%. Not nothing lights up and no air is blowing. Everything is plugged in and fuses are good.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:00 AM

So although it doesn't light up, you are still getting cold air in the cabin? If you press the Off button, does anything happen?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:32 AM

You have automatic climate control which will only matter if you need to replace something. I would check closely and carefully for wire problems. You may have broken a wire off of the backside of the connector that plugs into the controls. Maybe you don't have the connector plugged in all the way. Unplug the connector and look at the pins in both the control unit and the wire harness, checking that none of the pins have been bent or pushed in.

Also, that little grille that is to the right of the display, that is the air intake used to determine the temperature in the cabin. Make sure that the wires are on the sensor and that the airduct tube is attached on both ends. And for appearance, clean the dust out of the grille.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:42 PM

check to see if there is a fuse for you auto climate control. the fuse could be blown.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:03 PM

You said it happened after you messed with the Bose. I would think you did something wrong possibly reversed some wires.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:37 PM

Ok thanks I'll take a real close look at the pins and any wiring. I have to replace this pos Metra dask kit that Crutchfield gave me with a better Metra model tonight so I might as well rip it all apart.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:18 PM

FIXED!!!

You guys were right, one of the pins from the only harness behind the A/C control unit was popped out! I just found the empty hole, popped it back in and voila! Stone cold A/C again. I should have inspected it more closely before.

On a side note, the dash kit that came with the radio I ordered from Crutchfield was garbage > http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1208890...t.html?tp=3121

It requires you to have the Bose brackets and leaves a small gap between the radio and provided pocket. I used the search function here and found others had the same negative reviews as me. So I did some research and found Metra had 2 other kits available for my 95 Maxima. One for double and one for single din applications. I needed the single din kit and my local Best Buy carried it and had it in stock. $19.99 later and I had Metra kit #99-7417 at home. Installation couldn't have been easier and the Bose brackets were no longer needed. The pocket and box design looks so much cleaner. I just had to saw off a couple tabs and everything fit like a glove. If anyone is looking to upgrade their stock unit I'd recommend checking out this dash kit over the one Crutchfield supplies.

Thanks again for everyones help and I'll be needing you guys again shortly I'm sure. I have plenty of upgrades in mind for my newly acquired Maxima.