4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Help!!! Horrendous Noise from '97 Infiniti I30 w/ New CV Axles

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:52 PM

I need serious help!
I just put new CV Axles (old ones had torn boots) in my wife's '97 Infiniti I30 (non-limited slip dif), and now there is a loud groaning/rubbing/dragging/growling/humming noise coming from the drive-train. When you drive the car, it sounds as if the car is dragging something. The car is so loud inside the cabin that it actually sounds like a small aircraft. The noise is not as bad from the outside, but it's very noticeable. The noise is constant no matter what speed as long as the car is moving. It definitely sounds drive-train related as the drive-train seems way too loud. There is no clunking, clicking, or popping. I rechecked everything after the install and currently have it on jack stands in my driveway. There is no binding anywhere, and there is no play whatsoever in the wheels (bearings?). It even makes the sound while running with the wheels off of the ground, and I just can't pin point. Anyone heard of anything like this before? Any suggestions?
My wife is going to kill me; you know how every problem is our fault when we do our own work.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:09 PM

Make sure the dust shields are not rubbing the rotors. Did you lose any gear oil/fluid? Did you replace any lost gear oil/fluid?
Old 06-09-2012, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the quick response...

OK, the noise is definitely a loud metallic rubbing, dragging noise in the drive-train.
I lost a little trans fluid when removing the driver's side cv axle, but topped off the fluid before driving. The dust shields are definitely not rubbing the rotors (I changed the rotors and brakes too), the sound is more heavy duty and mechanical than a rubbing dust shield on the rotor. It actually sounds like the drive-train is dragging on something.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:39 PM
wxm

Are you sure the axle is inserted all the way in?
Old 06-09-2012, 04:52 PM

I'm pretty sure that I heard the infamous click when inserting the driver's side drive-shaft. Also, if it wasn't seated properly, wouldn't I hear a grinding noise or something? What are the symptoms of not having the axle in all of the way???
Old 06-09-2012, 05:03 PM

when its running and your under the car, where does it sound like its comming from...and maby post a video if you can so help with the noise

Edit: manuel or auto trans
Edit #2: you dont need to put a title for every post btw if you didnt know

Last edited by Kuhn_man; 06-09-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:48 PM

Update: Horrendous Noise from '97 Infiniti I30 w/ New CV Axles

Uhh, I think I committed one of the cardinal sins of DIY. After a couple of different opinions, I believe that the horrendous noise that I'm hearing is the passenger side wheel bearing. The sound is really loud from within the cabin, and less noticeable from the outside. I believe that I may have fubar'ed it when I removed the axle nut on that side while trying to change the cv axles.
It wouldn't budge with a ' breaker bar and me jumping on it (I'm 215 punds), so I broke out my Bernzomatic Propylene torch and heated the axle nut. After heating the nut for a little while (hot, not cherry red), it broke free enough for me to start turning the nut with the breaker bar. Anyway, do you guys think that heating the the axle nut with a torch for a while could have fried the wheel bearing? I would have never thought that heat would ruin the bearing, but now I'm thinking it's so. Any thoughts??? I think my wife may have been right this time...
Old 06-10-2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by sanford7575
Uhh, I think I committed one of the cardinal sins of DIY. After a couple of different opinions, I believe that the horrendous noise that I'm hearing is the passenger side wheel bearing. The sound is really loud from within the cabin, and less noticeable from the outside. I believe that I may have fubar'ed it when I removed the axle nut on that side while trying to change the cv axles.
It wouldn't budge with a ' breaker bar and me jumping on it (I'm 215 punds), so I broke out my Bernzomatic Propylene torch and heated the axle nut. After heating the nut for a little while (hot, not cherry red), it broke free enough for me to start turning the nut with the breaker bar. Anyway, do you guys think that heating the the axle nut with a torch for a while could have fried the wheel bearing? I would have never thought that heat would ruin the bearing, but now I'm thinking it's so. Any thoughts??? I think my wife may have been right this time...
NO! lol you can do it yourself just fine if you got this far...

money on wheel bearing... gets louder as you speed up? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHevcaO65Xc
Old 06-10-2012, 09:51 PM

turn it by hand does it feel any different than the other ones, and more than likely thats it, but find out first before throwing parts at it
Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 PM

Go back remove the axle from the hub and reinsert it this time making sure the axle has fully seated all the way in. If that doesn't solve your problem you most likely messed something in your steering knuckle. Did you torque the axle nut to at least 174 ft. lbs.?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:39 PM
wxm

Sounds like you are onto something. Like others suggested, I would put it on the jack, spin it to see whether you can hear the noise, or better remove the axle from the hub and and spin it to make sure it spins smoothly. I suppose it is possible that you cooked the grease and/or the seal. Btw, if it is the bearing, it might not be safe to drive. I'd confirm and fix it ASAP
Old 06-12-2012, 09:33 AM

A seal rides directly on that hub you were getting hot. Melt the seal and get the grease hot enough to run out and you got problems.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:51 AM

I took everything apart yesterday, and removed both of knuckle and hub assemblies on both front wheels, and it's definitely the passenger side wheel bearing. Not sure if I destroyed with torch heat or not, but it's definitely toast (sounds like a can of marbles when you spin it.).

Does anyone here know if I can just swap in the knuckle and hub from a '92SE? The bearing part# is the same, the brakes and rotors are the same, does anyone know if the knuckle and hubs are exactly the same?

Otherwise, it's onto the junkyard, or I may have to order a new parts from Rock auto and have it pressed in by a machine shop (not entirely sure on the procedure here).
Old 06-12-2012, 11:34 AM

I may have to order a new parts from Rock auto and have it pressed in by a machine shop (not entirely sure on the procedure here).
This would be your best course of action. A used part may not be much better. A shop should press in the new bearing for $20.00.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

did you ever find out what the peoblem was ?

I need serious help!
I just put new CV Axles (old ones had torn boots) in my wife's '97 Infiniti I30 (non-limited slip dif), and now there is a loud groaning/rubbing/dragging/growling/humming noise coming from the drive-train. When you drive the car, it sounds as if the car is dragging something. The car is so loud inside the cabin that it actually sounds like a small aircraft. The noise is not as bad from the outside, but it's very noticeable. The noise is constant no matter what speed as long as the car is moving. It definitely sounds drive-train related as the drive-train seems way too loud. There is no clunking, clicking, or popping. I rechecked everything after the install and currently have it on jack stands in my driveway. There is no binding anywhere, and there is no play whatsoever in the wheels (bearings?). It even makes the sound while running with the wheels off of the ground, and I just can't pin point. Anyone heard of anything like this before? Any suggestions?
My wife is going to kill me; you know how every problem is our fault when we do our own work.