4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th Gen PNP Standalone+Gauging Interest/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 12:29 PM

Add me to the list!! My oovi, ypipe headers m boost coming soon. I have a 96 se manual
Old 06-13-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
I find that very hard to believe. I've swapped ecu's many times as well as simply unplugging it and its always reset the ecu. Heck, many simply disconnect their batteries for 10-15mins to reset theirs and your saying you can unplug yours for over a week and it doesn't reset?
Maybe it's a 99 thing, 99 ECUs are special

I remember during my NATS incident I left the battery off overnight and the same ol same ol when I put the battery back in....

Matter fact.... I'm pretty sure If I charge the battery in it right now I'll have the same codes.... Car hasn't been on since Halloween 2011

Last edited by aackshun; 06-13-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:42 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by aackshun
Now for the Automatic stuff, I am very unsure on, I have not had an auto maxima, we will need some one to chime in on this for the auto guys.....

Pinouts are the same from 95-98.... that darn 99 is where two pins get swapped, not that big of a deal there....
Looking at the FSMs, there is a major change in the Transmission Control Module from 98 to 99, for instance. The ECU controls part of the shifting of the automatic tranny, so that function needs to continue with the MS ECU (unless an outboard shifter will be required?). Zeus knows what else is different between 98-99 - I think you're gonna need one example of each transmission type and a 98 and 99 for extensive testing. On the bright side, there are a lot of things identical between the four model years and transmission types.

Maybe a member-wide survey of known differences between model years, transmissions, and other things like California and Fed O2 sensors would be good. This is the forum for user knowledge of the Maxima - use it.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:46 PM

The Autos are what worry me the most..... Does the Suprastik take total control of the TCU making it autonomous of the ECU or any other modules/sensors?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:50 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

The Autos are what worry me the most..... Does the Suprastik take total control of the TCU making it autonomous of the ECU or any other modules/sensors?
No - to my recollection, it kinda takes the place of the OEM TCU but connects to the ECU (or somewhere) for various speed, RPM and load inputs - but i really don't remember details. Streetz would know - he has one installed, last I heard.

My custom Shift_Fast3 only requires RPMs, but you would NOT want to use it for DD. Racing is what it's for - and that works very well.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:17 PM

count me out i gotta pay for school and i still want to buy cattman header/y. i'd be down to get it even after the group deal is done. pnp = awesomeness, i hate wires and soldering

I find that very hard to believe. I've swapped ecu's many times as well as simply unplugging it and its always reset the ecu. Heck, many simply disconnect their batteries for 10-15mins to reset theirs and your saying you can unplug yours for over a week and it doesn't reset?
can't you reset it by turning the screw on the ecu back and forth twice? and yes i agree, unplugging it for a certain period of time resets it too.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Kevlo for President

id only be worried about cam/crank sensor reading

seems like it could do it but that would be my main concern

it will have to do a wasted spark for the coils

not sure how it will drive all 6 injectors tho i assume just like the wasted spark - which pairs of cyl fire fuel at the same time?
Old 06-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
count me out i gotta pay for school and i still want to buy cattman header/y. i'd be down to get it even after the group deal is done. pnp = awesomeness, i hate wires and soldering

can't you reset it by turning the screw on the ecu back and forth twice? and yes i agree, unplugging it for a certain period of time resets it too.
The FSM says that if you unplug the battery for a short time, the ECU will forget any stored codes. For longer than 24 hours the ECU forgets everything. It would be like starting the car for the very first time...ever.

My experience backs that up.

DW
Old 06-13-2012, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
id only be worried about cam/crank sensor reading

seems like it could do it but that would be my main concern

it will have to do a wasted spark for the coils

not sure how it will drive all 6 injectors tho i assume just like the wasted spark - which pairs of cyl fire fuel at the same time?
Cam/Crank sensor for our style of motors have already been done.

I'll get with the dealer on that stuff, but to my knowledge it will do 6 injectors and 6 coil packs individually. I doubt MS would invent an inferior system for vehicles which already have excellent aftermarket tuning support.

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
The FSM says that if you unplug the battery for a short time, the ECU will forget any stored codes. For longer than 24 hours the ECU forgets everything. It would be like starting the car for the very first time...ever.

My experience backs that up.

DW
Like I thought, it's just a 99 only thing in which the ECU never forgets....

Last edited by aackshun; 06-13-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'll get with the dealer on that stuff, but to my knowledge it will do 6 injectors and 6 coil packs individually. I doubt MS would invent an inferior system for vehicles which already have excellent aftermarket tuning support.

Like I thought, it's just a 99 only thing in which the ECU never forgets....
This should apply to 99s as well. I did my friend's 99 california I30 knock sensor/IACV/EGR cleaning. Took the manifold off yada yada etc. The process took me 2 days

When I got everything back together the car had the hardest time starting. The ECU was learning everything all over again. Unpredictable idle etc for at least 1/2 hour.

DW
Old 06-14-2012, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
This should apply to 99s as well. I did my friend's 99 california I30 knock sensor/IACV/EGR cleaning. Took the manifold off yada yada etc. The process took me 2 days

When I got everything back together the car had the hardest time starting. The ECU was learning everything all over again. Unpredictable idle etc for at least 1/2 hour.

DW
Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Boosted Panda

I don't see how the 99 ecu is any different then the other 4th gen ecus in regards to losing its settings after losing power. In order for it to keep its learned parameters after being unplugged it would need to have some sort of internal battery backup.
But back to the original topic, having a full stand alone for the A32 would be a great thing, especially if it were PNP. I just wouldn't call it a hot swappable option.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:03 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Let's hope so - I have no use for anything besides true sequential control of ignition coils and injectors. I don't want an engine full of E85 with ignition during exhaust - the explosion could be seen for miles...

What really is required for the MS sensor timing? I assume the front crank sensor and cam sensor, but what about the flywheel? Is the missing-tooth location critical? Because my flywheel location is random, since the key pin on the 3.5 crank has no matching hole in the 3.0 flex plate and I just drilled a hole in it to mount the plate. Please get details.

EDIT Later: Looks like the MS II could have true sequential coil-over-plug and injector control. Here's a link to the Sequencer option: This is a Good Thing.

http://www.megamanual.com/seq/

Last edited by grey99max; 06-14-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Kevlo for President

What do you mean its been done?

We have it on the EU (i have one) but thats because we (dandy) gave the oscilloscope graphs of each of the sensors so they could program it into the eu software. Are you saying you have done the same?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by grey99max
Looks like the MS II could have true sequential coil-over-plug and injector control. Here's a link to the Sequencer option: This is a Good Thing.

http://www.megamanual.com/seq/
i've been looking and looking and looking... i've found a lot of talk about the ms2 sequencer but haven't been able to find one for sale.

on the other hand, what we're looking at working with is the MS3 anyway which, as this chart shows, is more advanced so it makes no difference what the sequencer can do.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:33 AM

I am interested to see where this goes... Now how will this work for those with 3.5 swaps using 3.0 timing? I am assuming you just loose the ability to do the variable timing on the 3.5 or am I missing something?

I also have a 99.... Just want to confirm Will this bypass the NATS? If so I may be interested for sure...
Old 06-15-2012, 07:17 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
i've been looking and looking and looking... i've found a lot of talk about the ms2 sequencer but haven't been able to find one for sale.

on the other hand, what we're looking at working with is the MS3 anyway which, as this chart shows, is more advanced so it makes no difference what the sequencer can do.
I guess what I was thinking is that MS has figured out a way to do sequential coils and injectors. Nice chart, by the way...
Old 06-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Lightly modded

Put me down as curious..... I have a full DEK swap in my 96, could I get it mapped from MS for the larger DEK injectors?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:01 AM

What really is required for the MS sensor timing? I assume the front crank sensor and cam sensor, but what about the flywheel? Is the missing-tooth location critical? Because my flywheel location is random, since the key pin on the 3.5 crank has no matching hole in the 3.0 flex plate and I just drilled a hole in it to mount the plate. Please get details.
How is your vehicle running right now? The MS unit will run the car exactly how the stock ECU does....

I don't see how the 99 ecu is any different then the other 4th gen ecus in regards to losing its settings after losing power. In order for it to keep its learned parameters after being unplugged it would need to have some sort of internal battery backup.
But back to the original topic, having a full stand alone for the A32 would be a great thing, especially if it were PNP. I just wouldn't call it a hot swappable option.
Well, I'm about to start working on the red car soon, I'll see if she still has codes stored from the last startup (EGR and O2, codes that take a full emissions cycle to throw a code, if what you say is true I will not have a code when I fire up the ECU).

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
What do you mean its been done?

We have it on the EU (i have one) but thats because we (dandy) gave the oscilloscope graphs of each of the sensors so they could program it into the eu software. Are you saying you have done the same?
I did some research, it appears the VG/KA/SR are more different than I thought.

But where I got my assumption was the OBDII miatas have a similar engine setup w/ the Crank and Cam sensors. The VQ30 didn't re-invent the wheel by a long shot, a lot of late 90s cars run like ours does..... Just that the VQ30 was only in a platform that's not well supported by aftermarket companies... That's what makes it so hard to get stuff to run because we're doing it on our own, but since MS is doing the configuring on their behalf we don't have anything to worry about....

EDIT:

I'm wrong apparently the 97 Miata's still use a Crank Angle Sensor type setup....

Well still the above paragraph applies....

Originally Posted by deloa84
I am interested to see where this goes... Now how will this work for those with 3.5 swaps using 3.0 timing? I am assuming you just loose the ability to do the variable timing on the 3.5 or am I missing something?

I also have a 99.... Just want to confirm Will this bypass the NATS? If so I may be interested for sure...
See red sections.

Yup!! Your security light will stay on but that's it.

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Put me down as curious..... I have a full DEK swap in my 96, could I get it mapped from MS for the larger DEK injectors?
No, but you can certainly plug in your laptop and do it yourself once you get the unit!

Last edited by aackshun; 06-15-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:12 AM

And he can have a shop tune it. PNP FTW!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:54 AM

Is there any way we can order the parts and build the boards ourselves and download the base map?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:56 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

How is your vehicle running right now? The MS unit will run the car exactly how the stock ECU does....

The big question is:

As of today: Has MS actually connected one of their ECUs to a 4th gen VQ30 and does it run normally?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Is there any way we can order the parts and build the boards ourselves and download the base map?
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/d...kit-p-423.html
+
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...-iii-c-76.html

And you have to come up with your own map.....

The big question is:

As of today: Has MS actually connected one of their ECUs to a 4th gen VQ30 and does it run normally?
Not until I get 10 people interested and a car to Suwannee, GA. No.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:27 AM

Seems to be coming along nicely as far as concerns being aired. A tree PNP? I would actually take some of my mods off just for it to work if it was necessary.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:38 PM

Put me on the list I have a 99 maxima. I've been begging for something like this.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Black Lion

So this will only be for 3.0 ? Thats a bummer because Im sure if anyone boosted blows their 3.0 why buy another 3.0 when you can get a more powerful 3.5 and do the swap probably for about the same price.

Im figuring on buying a bigger turbo for that very reason.. If I blow my 14 year old 3.0 engine I will go with a 3.5 swap. And Im auto FYI not sure if that will be a problem with this stand alone.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:33 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by maxprivate
So this will only be for 3.0 ? Thats a bummer because Im sure if anyone boosted blows their 3.0 why buy another 3.0 when you can get a more powerful 3.5 and do the swap probably for about the same price.

Im figuring on buying a bigger turbo for that very reason.. If I blow my 14 year old 3.0 engine I will go with a 3.5 swap. And Im auto FYI not sure if that will be a problem with this stand alone.

3.0 timing on a 3.5 would not really make a diff, system should work the same.

unless you mean 3.5 w 3.5 timing.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by SurraTT
3.0 timing on a 3.5 would not really make a diff, system should work the same.

unless you mean 3.5 w 3.5 timing.
No, I would not be doing the 3.5 ECU swap so it would be 3.0 timing with 3.5 engine.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:45 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

No, I would not be doing the 3.5 ECU swap so it would be 3.0 timing with 3.5 engine.
exactly, so 3.0 timing it makes to difference if its 3.5 motor or 3.0 the ecu don't care.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:40 AM

Any luck on the car situation yet?
Old 06-18-2012, 06:34 AM

Well my car is complicated slightly... i got a 99 se-l running cali emissions 99 ecu... 97 fed spec engine and my harness will be rewired to a 97 ecu shortly how does this system work in conjunction of a 99 ecu harness versus all other 4th gens? Remember that our crank wires and a few others need to be repinned on a different pin in order to run another ecu... are they takin this into consideration as well or is that something they are going to put in software or will there be a 99 specific standalone??
Old 06-18-2012, 06:46 AM

going standalone w/ their VQ30 electronics.

Originally Posted by SurraTT
exactly, so 3.0 timing it makes to difference if its 3.5 motor or 3.0 the ecu don't care.
Just pretend this box is a 4th gen ECU that you can tune with your laptop, I think some people have been over-thinking it quite a bit...

Originally Posted by max1008
Any luck on the car situation yet?
He just needs more convincing.... He won't be doing anything with his car for some time soooo he should just get it running again so we can take it to GA

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
Well my car is complicated slightly... i got a 99 se-l running cali emissions 99 ecu... 97 fed spec engine and my harness will be rewired to a 97 ecu shortly how does this system work in conjunction of a 99 ecu harness versus all other 4th gens? Remember that our crank wires and a few others need to be repinned on a different pin in order to run another ecu... are they takin this into consideration as well or is that something they are going to put in software or will there be a 99 specific standalone??
You're jumping the gun here.... We haven't even gotten 10 people interested yet, let alone a car in GA for the testing process.....

And it's not that hard, ever heard of a Jumper Harness? Honda's do it all of the time for PNP ECU's or just for chipped OEM ECU's when they do Motor swaps.....
Old 06-18-2012, 06:54 AM

I'd be willing to do this and helping all the 4th gens with this would be really nice. I could manage without a car for a month but hate to say it like this but "what is in it for me to be without my car a WHOLE month"? Will I get discount pricing over everyone else. If it was just a week no biggie, plus spending the extra cash to drive there would be $150 in fuel (my car plus a tail vehicle) alone (5 hour drive).

Let me know, I'm will to work this out if we get the 10 people and I can speak ahead of time with the company to find out where they will be keeping my car (inside locked down) security type stuff.

Last edited by max1008; 06-18-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:29 PM

He just needs more convincing.... He won't be doing anything with his car for some time soooo he should just get it running again so we can take it to GA
i'm lazy AND poor, what can i do?

lol

anyway, i've got to swap the harness, rebuild the motor, get it registered, get it inspected, etc. das a lot to do! not to mention the rebuild will have nothing to do with my performance build, grrr.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:27 AM

Hey I'm completely offering up my car. Get two more people and lets get this done! I can't believe that we are only two people away..the hardest part of dropping off a car for a month and no one is pushing this. I mean I posted this yesterday at 8 basically and only one reply since then and it was mightymax95 explaining to you why he didn't want to do it. Quit bugging him about it, sounds like the things he needs to do with it might take some time. I have a 99 max with CAI, full header back exhaust, test pipe, lightweight fly wheel & crank pulley, 6 puck clutch, LSD trans, motor is in top notch shape no leaks. If we are going to do this with my car I'm going to go ahead and swap over to the 00VI before it goes up north.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
i'm lazy AND poor, what can i do?

lol

anyway, i've got to swap the harness, rebuild the motor, get it registered, get it inspected, etc. das a lot to do! not to mention the rebuild will have nothing to do with my performance build, grrr.
Registration/Inspection is no problem, your vehicle can suddenly become registered in KS ifyanomsayin...........

And you can always sell a working VQ30 for $300.....

Don't matter, this guy -V- is up for the task.

Hey I'm completely offering up my car. Get two more people and lets get this done! I can't believe that we are only two people away..the hardest part of dropping off a car for a month and no one is pushing this. I mean I posted this yesterday at 8 basically and only one reply since then and it was mightymax95 explaining to you why he didn't want to do it. Quit bugging him about it, sounds like the things he needs to do with it might take some time. I have a 99 max with CAI, full header back exhaust, test pipe, lightweight fly wheel & crank pulley, 6 puck clutch, LSD trans, motor is in top notch shape no leaks. If we are going to do this with my car I'm going to go ahead and swap over to the 00VI before it goes up north.
Sounds awesome!!

And no I will not stop bugging mightymax

Car sounds awesome too! But I would prefer you would keep the 00VI off of it for testing sake, we just need the standalone running the car efficiently w/ things how it sets, extra variables like 00VI's/MEVI's would not be preferred, just for the fact they can screw with idle settings, exhaust mods would only potentially throw off AFR by a little bit, but that would need to be adjusted on anyone's vehicle.

I will get in contact with the dealer again to see if the person taking the big hit on being the test dummy can get any extra incentives.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 AM

Awesome let me know. I'll leave it off for the time being. Also find out with the car being there for a month will it be stored inside and how the security is at the facility. Thanks man!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:13 AM

If there is a possibility of just leaving the unit in there (and of course the one they give you for testing that would be great. if I had to throw a couple dollars in to sweeten their decision that would work too.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:34 AM

Awesome let me know. I'll leave it off for the time being. Also find out with the car being there for a month will it be stored inside and how the security is at the facility. Thanks man!
They're doing 300ZX's right now, I'm positive they have a secure facility and I will make sure their responsibility/liability will be known too.

If there is a possibility of just leaving the unit in there (and of course the one they give you for testing that would be great. if I had to throw a couple dollars in to sweeten their decision that would work too.
I know what you mean, I'll catch up with 'em this afternoon.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:04 PM

sent you a PM with my contact info if you need it for any reason.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen PNP Standalone+Gauging Interest/Discussion