4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

98 Maxima AC Thermistor Intake Resistor

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

98 Maxima AC Thermistor Intake Resistor

Had poor cooling from the AC last fall. Removed and cleaned up the evaporator box, replaced expansion valve and compressor. When it came time to re-assemble the glove box I could not find a plug to attach to the thermistor/thermal amplifier.

The system runs fine without the attachment of the thermistor to the harness. All the pressures and temps are just fine BUT the compressor runs on to the point that liquid refrigerant gets carried over and starts hammering the compressor. Then you got to turn off the ac because the intake thermistor is not plugged in to the wiring harness.

The 98 max shop manual clearly identifies a plug on the harness, but that plug is not present on the harness in the car. So it has to be tucked under somewhere else.

I really need help on this because I CANNOT FIND the plug on the wiring harness that goes to this thermal amplifier/thermistor. It Ohms out fine and I have looked at the harness diagram which says the plug should be dangling right next to the glovebox light and lightswitch plugs. BUT there is nothing in sight. the shop manual is wrong so Someone please look at a 98 and tell me where I can find the plug or send back a pic. Many thanks. Looking for the ghost plug is making my head explode. . .

Please check the below pics I took. Many thanks for any feedback you can send.

A closeup of the part: ThermalAmp | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

As it sits on the evap box open end down, resistor wire loop up: onthebox | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Straight up view, glovebox wire to the right: UpUnder | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Toward the fan box: totheright | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This Photo shows M55 and M68 they are taped to a schematic card I made up for the purpose.
Card | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Next Picture is a larger frame showing the cable bundle back about a foot.
plugscard | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last Picture shows the cable bundle going back up toward the blower resistor plug M57, which is a fairly large plug.
LineToHarness | Flickr - Photo Sharing!