4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replacing axle

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 02:29 PM

Replacing axle

I'm in the middle of a driver's side axle replacement on my 96 (AT).

My biggest worry was getting the old one out, and I tried various pry bars with no luck. Then I thought to try a 10" 3/8" socket extension, which fits in the space perfectly. That popped it right out.

I'm trying to get the new one in, and it isn't sliding in easily. I don't want to force it, and with the strut in the way it's hard to make sure the axle isn't skewed at an angle. Should I put something on the tranny end of the axle to make it slide in easier? ATF? Grease maybe?

And I noticed that my old axle has a protective cup (no, not that kind) that the new one doesn't have. Here's the old one. The cup is the metal thing that's lined up with the word "Dental".

http://s397.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=P1050786.jpg

And here's the new one.
http://s397.photobucket.com/albums/p...3DP1050787.jpg

The cup doesn't seem like it wants to pry off. Is this something I need?
Old 06-30-2012, 02:36 PM

I don't think its required but the clip at the end is what is giving you resistance to get the axle back in. You have to give it a hard push to get it in.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:37 PM

My Raxles came with it so im assuming you need it for some reason or another but I cant tell you what purpose it serves. As for getting it in get a piece of wood or something and a rubber mallet and go at it. YOu wont break it thats for sure

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 06-30-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had same problem. used a piece of broom handle and a hammer to knock it in.you can transfer that other piece to the new axle.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:45 PM

Every time I remove and replace the driver's side axle I have to hammer it back in with a 3 lb dead blow hammer and a piece of 2x4.

I've always assumed that shroud you're talking about is a dust/dirt shield. When it just touches the transaxle, the axle is fully inserted.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:45 PM

First, I'm an idiot. Looking at it again I realized I should just take the strut off. Then I can get a straight shot.

Do you feel the splines slot into place before you start whacking on it? My concern is that it won't be slotted and I'll be doing damage.

Trini, I've got the circlip on the new axle. The piece I was asking about butts up against the joint assembly. I think it is a dust shield. It looks like it's part #39752 , here: http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...1851_1872.html. But it feels like it's welded on. I'll go out tomorrow and try to pry it off. Otherwise it'll have to wait until I get to the dealer. Damm, I hate that. UPDATE: I just went out with a hammer and chisel and got the dust shield off. It's a little banged up, but I should be able to bend it into usable shape.

Last edited by DBear; 06-30-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by DBear
Do you feel the splines slot into place before you start whacking on it? My concern is that it won't be slotted and I'll be doing damage.
Yikes, yes, you have to make sure the splines line up first, but that will be easy to do right and obvious if you do it wrong. Then push it in as far as you can, and hammer it the rest of the way. Put a block of wood over the end of the axle you're hammering on, to keep it from mushrooming. Having somebody to hold the axle from underneath the car helps.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by ATTappman
Yikes, yes, you have to make sure the splines line up first, but that will be easy to do right and obvious if you do it wrong. Then push it in as far as you can, and hammer it the rest of the way. Put a block of wood over the end of the axle you're hammering on, to keep it from mushrooming. Having somebody to hold the axle from underneath the car helps.
The splines will partially go in until it hits that clip. Once it does, then give it a good push and it should go in. I fnot, you definitely will have to whack it. The drivers side is where your tranny puts out movement so that side you do not want coming out.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:18 PM

OK, first major glitch. I slid the new axle in, thought it might be seated, and slid it out to test. It wasn't, and it came out, and brought this with it: http://s397.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=P1050788.jpg

You may not be able to tell, but it's a small spring wound in a circle. It looks like the kind of spring you find in oil seals. Is that where it came from?

But I'm having a little trouble figuring out what the seal is. There's a rubber ring around the edge of the opening, but there's no obvious place for the spring to sit. It feels like there might be a lip on the inside of the seal, and the spring might fit into that, so you couldn't see it from the outside. The spring looks like it's too big to go any farther into the hole. It's considerably wider than the width of the half-shaft, except for the outer inch or so.

Any chance I can just slip the spring back in behind the lip? Or do I need a new seal?
Old 07-01-2012, 01:57 PM

That is the garter spring for the seal. You are right about where it originally was placed. Once it comes off, it's stretched and it won't stay on if you try to put it back. So yes, you need a new seal. If you use the seal without the spring, it will eventually leak.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Put a dab of grease or vaseline on the circlip to keep it centered. You'll still need a good bit of force to insert it fully.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by ATTappman
That is the garter spring for the seal. You are right about where it originally was placed. Once it comes off, it's stretched and it won't stay on if you try to put it back. So yes, you need a new seal. If you use the seal without the spring, it will eventually leak.
I just went to Autozone and looked at a transmission oil seal. It looks like the same part, that fits onto the outer edge of the shaft opening, but it didn't have a spring. Are they designing them differently now, or was that the wrong part?
Old 07-01-2012, 06:39 PM

I went ahead and bought the seal, and found the spring when I looked reeeeally closely. I wrestled it in, then the axle. JSutter was right. I ended up filling the entire circlip groove with vaseline to keep the clip from sagging down, and the axle slid in pretty easily. I only had to give it a few pushes by hand. So all is good now. Thanks for the backup, guys.

BTW, I was having trouble prying the old seal out with a screwdriver, so I dropped $11 on a seal puller. Great tool--it got the seal out in one try. Highly recommended. Joe Bob says check it out.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by DBear
I went ahead and bought the seal, and found the spring when I looked reeeeally closely. I wrestled it in, then the axle. JSutter was right. I ended up filling the entire circlip groove with vaseline to keep the clip from sagging down, and the axle slid in pretty easily. I only had to give it a few pushes by hand. So all is good now. Thanks for the backup, guys.

BTW, I was having trouble prying the old seal out with a screwdriver, so I dropped $11 on a seal puller. Great tool--it got the seal out in one try. Highly recommended. Joe Bob says check it out.
Getting the seal out is never the difficult part. Getting it back in is where th work comes in. How did you put yours back in?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Getting the seal out is never the difficult part. Getting it back in is where th work comes in. How did you put yours back in?
That part wasn't too bad. I ended up putting a long socket extension on the edge and tapping it with a hammer, working my way around it. I had to start over a couple of times before I got the feel for knocking it in evenly.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:57 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

You can also get a piece of black pipe and a cap from the hardware store. Not sure the size, but it works perfect to drive the seal in.