4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Front left speaker works intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Front left speaker works intermittently

I replaced the the Bose head unit in my 95 Maxima with a JVC KD-X40 with no problems whatsoever. Before the switch my front left speaker would work fine for awhile and then suddenly cut out. The only time it would ever come back on is after the engine had been shut off and i had been parked for awhile. Sometimes the volume would go way down for a few minutes before shutting completely off. I thought it was the old head unit, but it is still doing it with the new one. I've check all the connections including taking the door panel off and checking the actual speaker connection. All connections seem to be fine visually. Any suggestions?
Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 AM

LOL....I have the exact same issue in my 1996 (without the Bose system). I have a Sony head unit, and the drivers door speaker is dead. On rare occasions it will work, but there is no rhyme or reason as to when it will work. Any ideas?

Zack
Old 07-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's really annoying because it might be fine for days and then...nothing. I'm hoping others that have had this same problem might have found a fix.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:20 PM

Another thing that is odd is that I also owned a 1995 Pathfinder, and it too had the same issue. It was just the drivers door speaker. The speaker did not work with either the stock head unit or an aftermarket Sony head unit. Perhaps this is a Nissan thing?

Zack
Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 PM

I have this issue too, however for some time now, my front driver side speaker has not had any problems.

I did some diagnosis of my own when the speaker was acting up, and here is what I found:
  • If I turned off all the other speakers, as in adjusted fade and balance so that only my front driver side speaker is the only one playing, and then turned the volume slowly up, the speaker would cut back in and start playing normally again.
    • I also want to point out that the speaker was indeed playing before I started this process, but it was at a lower volume then the others
  • I took apart the center console before, and tried to adjust the wires thinking that something has come loose; this resulted in my speaker working for a while, at least 3 or more months before become intermittent again. I am still unsure why this is...
  • I have tried replacing the amp(? the circuit board that the speaker is attached to), and this resulted in status quo.
  • I have tried swapping speakers, as in front driver with front passenger, and I do not remember if I was able to or if the wire harness was different and therefore I was unable to. As such, I cannot say if this helped.
From my analysis, and based on what everyone elses experience in this thread, I can probably say this:

• My head unit is going bad, although I have my doubts on this since my head unit has not acted up for a while now. This can also stem from the fact that I:
    • Have noisy tires, requiring me to turn up the volume some more
    • I use a cassette adapter, and the input that is going to that cassette adapter, I never turn it up all the way since I have this weird habit of keeping it at around 75%.
  • There is a bad ground connection. But again, I have unscrewed the speaker and its supporting circuit board out, cleaned it, and it still does the same thing.
  • We have a bad wire going to the speaker, meaning that the wires that go though the metal frame, into that rubber tube thingy, then into the door, there is a break somewhere causing a intermittent connection.
    • This maybe also a case since we probably open and close our driver side doors more than our passenger side doors, so open, close, open, close and heat could cause the wire to break earlier than the passenger side doors.
  • ????
  • My car is messing with me. I believe this is the case since I love my car and my car is showing its affection for me and messing with me.

Last edited by Akiyukio; 07-08-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Forgot a few details.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Akiyukio
We have a bad wire going to the speaker, meaning that the wires that go though the metal frame, into that rubber tube thingy, then into the door, there is a break somewhere causing a intermittent connection.
  •  
    • This maybe also a case since we probably open and close our driver side doors more than our passenger side doors, so open, close, open, close and heat could cause the wire to break earlier than the passenger side doors.
Good point. I had considered this also. I was about to find a new speaker/amp assembly on eBay, but seeing as you had no luck with replacing yours I think I'll try running new speaker wire and see what happens.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:08 AM

Since I don't have the Bose system, I don't have an amp correct? It must be wire issues?

Zack
Old 07-09-2012, 06:50 AM

Yo man,

those bose speaker are more than 15 yrs old. They are gonna start to go.

I suggest replacing all four Bose speakers with Aftermarkets.

If you are really intent on saving the Bose speakers, you can try to resolder connections as one of the wires in the speaker prolly came loose. This is assuming BOse used wires and not an integrated circuit board for powering the speakers. I would not be surprised if Bose used a circuit board.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:22 PM

i was gonna say. nobody tried another speaker?
Old 07-09-2012, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
i was gonna say. nobody tried another speaker?
Been there...done that. It still does not work. Also even if the speaker is blown, sound will still come out of it....won't sound great however.

Zack
Old 07-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I went ahead and ran new speaker wire from the back of my new head unit to the speaker and bypassed the Bose amp. It's working now so it definitely was the stock wiring or the speaker amp. Thanks guys.
It obviously doesn't sound as good as it used to now. Would throwing a new speaker in there improve things or am i looking at getting an amp and rewiring all the speakers to match? I'm not really picky and am happy to just have sound coming out of it, but I can tell a difference when moving left to right on the balance.

Last edited by Adam Hlava; 07-09-2012 at 05:21 PM.