4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Over heating

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:03 PM

Over heating

So on Sunday, I got stuck in some traffic at an interchange between west side highway and the cross bronx expressway. AC is running nice and cold and as I am inching down the highway, I notice my temperature guage is reading close to the danger mark. I wind down the windows and turn off the ac and the guage starts going down even though i am still stuck in traffic. By the time I get off the high way, it's back down to the middle.

Things that have been changed recently. Waterpump, radiator (twice in 5 months). I purged the radiator and I am able to repeat the overheating. I have not changed the thermostat or the fans and they are what I suspect at the moment to be the likely candidates. I say thermostat as both fans are spinning. The one on the drivers side spins faster but not extremely faster than the other. The hoses seem extremely hot.

Any ideas as to what could be the cause? I am changing the thermostat tonight.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by benjie
So on Sunday, I got stuck in some traffic at an interchange between west side highway and the cross bronx expressway. AC is running nice and cold and as I am inching down the highway, I notice my temperature guage is reading close to the danger mark. I wind down the windows and turn off the ac and the guage starts going down even though i am still stuck in traffic. By the time I get off the high way, it's back down to the middle.

Things that have been changed recently. Waterpump, radiator (twice in 5 months). I purged the radiator and I am able to repeat the overheating. I have not changed the thermostat or the fans and they are what I suspect at the moment to be the likely candidates. I say thermostat as both fans are spinning. The one on the drivers side spins faster but not extremely faster than the other. The hoses seem extremely hot.

The fan that isn't spinning as fast may need to get replaced. Also, when you replaced the radiator, did you flush the entire system? Was there sludge in there?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:17 PM

did you also pressurize the system when you changed the radiator?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
The fan that isn't spinning as fast may need to get replaced. Also, when you replaced the radiator, did you flush the entire system? Was there sludge in there?
I did not flush. No sludge noticed when I change the radiator. I changed the thermostat tonight. Spent most of my time getting the old gasket off. Topped off the reservoir and let the car run with the ac on for about 40 minutes. So far the needle stayed right in the middle. The fan kicked in at full speed tonight so I'm guessing the fan is variable speed.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by styliztik
did you also pressurize the system when you changed the radiator?
If by pressurize, you mean purge the air out of the system, then yes.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 AM

I did not flush. No sludge noticed when I change the radiator. I changed the thermostat tonight. Spent most of my time getting the old gasket off. Topped off the reservoir and let the car run with the ac on for about 40 minutes. So far the needle stayed right in the middle. The fan kicked in at full speed tonight so I'm guessing the fan is variable speed.

prolly just a bad thermostat.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I say thermostat as both fans are spinning. The one on the drivers side spins faster but not extremely faster than the other.

Thermostats fail in the open mode as they age causing a cold engine condition.

Both fans should spin on you 99 at the same speed at all times.
There are 2 fans speeds, normal and high. Normal fan speed, a/c on etc. up until the coolant gets up to about ~240 (somebody correct that figure if I'm off). At that point both fans will go up to high speed, they're pretty loud at that point too.

I have a feeling one of your fans is not operating correctly.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Thermostats fail in the open mode as they age causing a cold engine condition.

Both fans should spin on you 99 at the same speed at all times.
There are 2 fans speeds, normal and high. Normal fan speed, a/c on etc. up until the coolant gets up to about ~240 (somebody correct that figure if I'm off). At that point both fans will go up to high speed, they're pretty loud at that point too.

I have a feeling one of your fans is not operating correctly.
I will keep an eye on it.

Question, can I change just one fan or are they sold as a set?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:43 AM

So yesterday, I pulled into the back yard with ac on. Stayed in the car just to see what would happen as it had been running good. The guage started to climb. Popped the hood and the fan on the right was not spinning. Tapped the housing for the fan motor with a screwdriver and it started working. Verified voltage on the white with blue stripe and white with black stripe wires on the harness. So NJMAX and Trini, you were correct. I already ordered the fan and I'm waiting for it to come in.

Just for verification, which fan is considered the Condenser fan? I would assume it's the one on the right but the AC is still running cold even with the fan on the right not spinning.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:12 PM

So yesterday, I pulled into the back yard with ac on. Stayed in the car just to see what would happen as it had been running good. The guage started to climb. Popped the hood and the fan on the right was not spinning. Tapped the housing for the fan motor with a screwdriver and it started working. Verified voltage on the white with blue stripe and white with black stripe wires on the harness. So NJMAX and Trini, you were correct. I already ordered the fan and I'm waiting for it to come in.

Just for verification, which fan is considered the Condenser fan? I would assume it's the one on the right but the AC is still running cold even with the fan on the right not spinning.
On most cars, sitting inside the car, the left fan is considered the condenser fan but for pur cars, not only one turns on, they both come on with AC running or not.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:02 PM

Good find Benjie.....Are you that same benjie from the 70's?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:07 PM

I guess not your names are spelled different......I was gonna ask for your autograph! LOL....just joking around.....but your name brings back memories of one of my favorite Hollywood canines....