4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1 clic, no start !

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1 clic, no start !

Hello all.

I have read countless threads concerning my issue to no avail.

I have a 98 Maxima SE with manual transmission. For the last two weeks, the car started randomnly. I could hear an audible clic but it would not start. I would try several attempts and it would end up starting. However, for the past three days, I can only hear the same single clic but the starter does not move. I tested the battery and it is fine. I replaced the ignition switch and the audible clic is still there and the starter does not move. Pulled out the starter and brought it to a shop to have it bench tested, it came out fine. I looked at the fuse ( the green and translucid one right of the battery) and it is in fine condition. I am stuck with the igniton relay I guess ??? I did not try to swaop it yet. Which relay should I be looking at ? The Inhibitor/Clutch intelrock ? If the problem is the relay, why do I hear the clic then ?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by wisti; 08-31-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:39 AM

Bench test with starter tells u very little. You need to have a load on it (like tryin to spin an engine for instance).

Im willing to bet you starter is too weak to start the car but still strong enough to spin with no load on it.

Try to jump the starter by taking a wire, then touch the positive battery terminal and then starter. if nothing happens or it doesnt spin then your starter is done.

report your findings and we go from there. you can PM me if u want
Old 08-31-2012, 08:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Will do that tonight.

About the starter test, the shop confirmed me that the starter was strong enough Also, I forgot to mention that the starter has been replaced in February of 2012. Was supposed to be a new one, although I was far from my home town and could not vouch for the genuiness of the part. I have a hard time believing that a new starter would fail this quick... although I have read similar testimonies on this board.

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by wisti
Will do that tonight.

About the starter test, the shop confirmed me that the starter was strong enough Also, I forgot to mention that the starter has been replaced in February of 2012. Was supposed to be a new one, although I was far from my home town and could not vouch for the genuiness of the part. I have a hard time believing that a new starter would fail this quick... although I have read similar testimonies on this board.

Thanks for your input.
Exactly.

Try jumping it and see where that gets you. If the starter is good, then you have to check the starting circuit. Since we both MT, i can help out....

Power goes to the anti-theft relay in the fuse box near the pass side strut tower. Check its getting power.

If good, power then goes to the clucth interlock relay. jump the clutch interlock relay by applying a wire across two specific terminals (i forget which number terminals). If the car starts, then the relay is toast.

If the car still dont start, check the clutch switch on the clutch pedal. Jump that switch. Car should have started by now. If not, u got a ECU issue.

Check crank sensors and cam sensor. Check all wiring associaited with each item above.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:55 PM

If you can hear a click, the starter solenoid (magnetic switch in FSM) should be moving. With use, eventually the copper plate inside the starter solenoid will be coated with carbon and and not enough current go thru the switch.

Was the starter solenoid changed when you replaced the starter?
Old 09-01-2012, 05:45 PM

what's your battery voltage? Does it click with a jump as well? If it does then it's more than likely the starter.....They tend to last about 10 yrs before they start having problems.....
Old 09-02-2012, 03:01 PM

Check voltage drop between battery and terminal. Sounds like bad connection At terminals or at starter.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello all,

Thanks for you replies. After I got the starter back form the shop for a bench test (which revealed no apparent problem), I put it back in the car and it now works fine. I can only assume that the "wiggling" of the starter temporarily fixed the problem. I have ordered a new solenoid to permanently fix it.