4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just test drove a 98 GS-R...now i'm undecided

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 08:06 PM
ExcelonGT

Just test drove a 98 GS-R...now i'm undecided

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a car. Although I've been looking at 97-98 Maxima SE's, My neighbor is a parts manager at the Local Acura Dealership and he told me to come down to check out a preowned Integra GS-R. So I got there and he throws me the keys. Its a 1998, Dark green, tan leather, 5-speed, and has 34k miles on it. I took it out for a drive not expecting muhc...but HOLY SH*T. THis car got my attention, QUICK! I completely forgot I was driving the 170hp version with the VTEC. VTEC is sooooo nice! It was SOO fun to drive I didnt want to go back to the dealership. Hey...alot of things go through a 18year old's mind. So I got back and one of the salesmen sits me down in his office and told me that he just got the car in and he can sell it to me for 15 thousand. He said He'll also throw in the extended 100,000 mile power train warrenty and get me 5.9% Financing. This deal is sounding sweeter by the moment. To top it off, my neighbor the Parts manager told me that if I really wanted the car, I just had to let him know, and he'd talk to the General Manager of the dealership and basically get me the car for their Cost price. Is this a good deal?!? I'm seriously considering ditching the Maximas although I love those cars.

Old 01-07-2002, 08:11 PM

umm, well... its not exactly comparing the same kind of car. the maxima and the gsr are like two different kinds of girls. the gsr is the time of girl all the guys have. she looks kind of good, but you'll have to put lots of money into her to look even better and to perform awesome. the maxima, on the other hand, looks like a goddess (no, i'm not bias or anything ) but has a gentile appeal. its the one you would take home to meet mom and dad. but when you take her back to your place, she's a beast underneath.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Romeo
umm, well... its not exactly comparing the same kind of car. the maxima and the gsr are like two different kinds of girls. the gsr is the time of girl all the guys have. she looks kind of good, but you'll have to put lots of money into her to look even better and to perform awesome. the maxima, on the other hand, looks like a goddess (no, i'm not bias or anything ) but has a gentile appeal. its the one you would take home to meet mom and dad. but when you take her back to your place, she's a beast underneath.
hehe beast underneath.. I like that
Old 01-07-2002, 08:34 PM
dko
duck and cover

Originally posted by Romeo
but when you take her back to your place, she's a beast underneath.
no wonder they call you romeo
Old 01-07-2002, 08:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my friend has a 2000 GS-R and i raced him on JFK parkway, he had a pretty good run until i hit 3rd gear and just WALKED his @SS
Old 01-07-2002, 09:28 PM

Re: Just test drove a 98 GS-R...now i'm undecided

Originally posted by ExcelonGT
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a car. Although I've been looking at 97-98 Maxima SE's, My neighbor is a parts manager at the Local Acura Dealership and he told me to come down to check out a preowned Integra GS-R. So I got there and he throws me the keys. Its a 1998, Dark green, tan leather, 5-speed, and has 34k miles on it. I took it out for a drive not expecting muhc...but HOLY SH*T. THis car got my attention, QUICK! I completely forgot I was driving the 170hp version with the VTEC. VTEC is sooooo nice! It was SOO fun to drive I didnt want to go back to the dealership. Hey...alot of things go through a 18year old's mind. So I got back and one of the salesmen sits me down in his office and told me that he just got the car in and he can sell it to me for 15 thousand. He said He'll also throw in the extended 100,000 mile power train warrenty and get me 5.9% Financing. This deal is sounding sweeter by the moment. To top it off, my neighbor the Parts manager told me that if I really wanted the car, I just had to let him know, and he'd talk to the General Manager of the dealership and basically get me the car for their Cost price. Is this a good deal?!? I'm seriously considering ditching the Maximas although I love those cars.

Have you even test drive a 5spd Maxima yet? If you think the GSR is awesome, just wait until you drive a 5spd Maxima. GSR is nice and all, but you could get a Maxima with: 5spd, V6, 190hp, and a heck more torque than the GSR. Once you get the feel of the torque, it's kind of hard to go back to a torque less 4 cyl. I'm not saying the GSR is a bad car by any means.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:50 PM
EZ

The GSR is waaay more modible and handles better. Since you're 18, I say get the GSR....Max might have too much pull for you (j/k)
Old 01-07-2002, 10:17 PM
HPS

ExcelonGT:

Get the Maxima! I had a 98 GS-R Sedan 5speed till I traded it in for a 98 Max GLE in November (I know it's automagic, but that's what I wanted).

My Integra was a smooth handling ride that was fairly modded: AEM CAI, Kamikaze 4-1 header, Greddy exhaust, AEM cam gears, Crower cams, AEM UDP and MSD ignition. It pulled very hard once the vtec opened up. But, not as much torque for city and stop-n-go driving as my Max.

The Max combines power, sportiness and good manners in a mid-sized sedan. I could never take people with me on extended trips because it was too cramped (and I had the sedan).

Performance wise, my Integra was pretty quick on the highway, but I had to put alot of money into it just to make it run with a stock 5-speed Max (and even then the torque I gave up, killed me). IMHO, you may be happier with the Integra in the short run (I've owned two), but the Max will treat you right in the long run (less expensive to mod in order to be faster than the Integra).

Just my opinion ...

Old 01-07-2002, 10:23 PM
HPS

ExcelonGT:

Get the Maxima! I had a 98 GS-R Sedan 5speed till I traded it in for a 98 Max GLE in November (I know it's automagic, but that's what I wanted).

My Integra was a smooth handling ride that was fairly modded: AEM CAI, Kamikaze 4-1 header, Greddy exhaust, AEM cam gears, Crower cams, AEM UDP and MSD ignition. It pulled very hard once the vtec opened up. But, not as much torque for city and stop-n-go driving as my Max.

The Max combines power, sportiness and good manners in a mid-sized sedan. I could never take people with me on extended trips because it was too cramped (and I had the sedan).

Performance wise, my Integra was pretty quick on the highway, but I had to put alot of money into it just to make it run with a stock 5-speed Max (and even then the torque I gave up, killed me). IMHO, you may be happier with the Integra in the short run (I've owned two), but the Max will treat you right in the long run (less expensive to mod in order to be faster than the Integra).

Just my opinion ...

Old 01-08-2002, 11:10 AM

you'll probably like the handling of the integra, but u can make the max handle like one with a very minor modification. Since your 18.... i'm guessin that the integra is looxin purdy good to u.....but if u wanna hang with the big boys the maX is da way to go. They say 170HP......but it takes longer for the 4 cylinders to reach that point
Old 01-08-2002, 11:17 AM

One big advantage is buying an Integra is the aftermarket support. It definitely has more support than the Maxima does. If you plan to go all out in modding, then maybe the Integra is a better choice. The GSR is nice and all, but I wouldn't get it. The only Integra I would get is the Type R.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
One big advantage is buying an Integra is the aftermarket support. It definitely has more support than the Maxima does. If you plan to go all out in modding, then maybe the Integra is a better choice. The GSR is nice and all, but I wouldn't get it. The only Integra I would get is the Type R.

i would say go with the car that you really want. i can't see myself driving anything but a max. but let me put it like this way the max will put you on another level. espicially when you start moding pigs love picking on honda. all the times i sat at the street races i have never even came close to geting poped. they always seem to go after the hondas & acuras. i had a cop cut me of to yank the person in front of me a few times. (suggestion find a 5spd max)

the choice is yours!!!
Old 01-08-2002, 04:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I say Max. You can fit more Ho's in a max.
Old 01-08-2002, 04:39 PM

But I like to mack in ..........................

MAXIMAS AND ACURAS!!! 'Nuff said!
By the 1 and only, the late Notorious B.I.G.

I would say get the max, but you are only 18, a kid
at heart, so go for the GSR. I used to get wierd looks
when I get out of my max and everyone expects it to be driven
by some old guy. Oh well, I am fine with it now...ehehehe...

ZZeeOO

Like Maxilicious said you can....

Originally posted by Maxilicious
I say Max. You can fit more Ho's in a max.
Old 01-08-2002, 05:12 PM

My Bro has a GSR. My car is faster, looks better, holds more people and will probably last longer. Get the max, nuff said.
Old 01-08-2002, 05:22 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

GSR ? Those arent even the fastest kind right ? A kid at my school has one with headers/intake/exhaust, and it's pretty fast I guess. He "floored" it outta the school once and it sounded like a ricer-4banger hate to say it.

Get a GSR if you:

want a cool little car
want GOOD handling
want No Torque (no fun)
want that 4-banger sound
want no space
want a car that's slower and less powersome (torque) than a maxima

Get a Maxima if you:

want room
want reliability
want comfort
want the best VQ engine in the world