4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replacing Carrier bearing plus head removal

Old 10-27-2012, 12:06 PM

Replacing Carrier bearing plus head removal

So I have a bad carrier bearing in my trans (99SE5sp). Replaced the seal about 3 times and gear oil still leaks. First question where would be the best place to order a new one (carrier bearing)? Now while I got the trans out I going to go and remove the engine to have the heads cleaned resurfaced and checked for and compression issues so I can restore any lost HP. Clutch seems to be in pretty good shape for now and I guess I will decide if I want to replace it when its out. I also plan to remove the pre-cats while the engine is out. With doing all of this what are the DO/DON'TS in the project. Any tips on anything while I have everything out of the car.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:10 PM

Whats up man? Long time...

Anyways, seems like youre about to do quite a bit of work taking the heads off... Youre better off just swapping engines in my opinion. You gotta disassemble the timing components, oil pan...youre halfway to a 3.5 swap from that point. Either way have fun. If u do go through with it get yourself a new timing chain tensioner. Maybe look into water pump while youre in there. But like i said, even a dek is $450. Drop it in and call it a day.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by iflexsteel
With doing all of this what are the DO/DON'TS in the project.
Do replace the clutch while you're in there. Dont pull the heads, not worth the trouble. If your concerned about the condition of the heads, do a leak down and compression test.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by iflexsteel
So I have a bad carrier bearing in my trans (99SE5sp). Replaced the seal about 3 times and gear oil still leaks. First question where would be the best place to order a new one (carrier bearing)? Now while I got the trans out I going to go and remove the engine to have the heads cleaned resurfaced and checked for and compression issues so I can restore any lost HP. Clutch seems to be in pretty good shape for now and I guess I will decide if I want to replace it when its out. I also plan to remove the pre-cats while the engine is out. With doing all of this what are the DO/DON'TS in the project. Any tips on anything while I have everything out of the car.
Wuzzup Guy

I actually have the 3.5 that came out of 98Cordto02Max 2002. It was blowing white smoke which we were told the head was gone so he just bought a new one! We were planning to break it down and rebuild it. As far as the swap goes I know you need a few extra things for the 3.5 that cost EXTRA MONEY. Not really sure if the engine had a blown head but either way we would have to get in there and see. So how close would you say that I am to the swap if the engine was in perfect condition! What else would I need?
Old 10-27-2012, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
Do replace the clutch while you're in there. Dont pull the heads, not worth the trouble. If your concerned about the condition of the heads, do a leak down and compression test.

Well I was going to do it for fun not really concerned about the trouble. I wouldn't want to buy a new used engine only to have it not running properly. I know that I've lost power cause she doesn't pull like she used to even after tune ups (which includes everything)
Old 10-29-2012, 05:05 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Pulling the heads because you think it's lost power is ridiculous.
You need to troubleshoot first, there are many reasons for a power loss.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:06 PM

Have you replaced the knock sensor? that's a popular power loss issue.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by back2basics
Have you replaced the knock sensor? that's a popular power loss issue.
haven't replaced the knock sensor nor am I showing a code for it. I do have a video for bank 2 sensor 2 o2. I wouldn't think that would cause loss of pop power

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 10-31-2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Pulling the heads because you think it's lost power is ridiculous.
You need to troubleshoot first, there are many reasons for a power loss.
pulling the heads is something I want to see if I can do it. it's not just a power issue

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android