4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: What would you rather have compared?
Stock MAF/ Z32 MAF / 3.5" MAF on a VQ30
42.86%
Working VIAS vs VIAS delete on an 00vi
57.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Dynoing soon - what would you like compared?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:18 PM

Race fuel is expensive here and only available at Road Atlanta. I have thought about mixing my own from time to time. Kind of like they mix premium and low grade to get mid-grade. Thought about mixing 98o with some 93o to theoretically get about 95o with about a 2d increase in timing but the formulas are intense and I couldn't get the math to work and although it wouldn't hurt my engine per say it didn't make financial sense to me.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea
Im going to be the odd ball

110 octane with some more timing advance.
110 is overkill. Even with an aggressive tune, 100 will be fine. There are a couple of Sunoco stations here that sell 100 unleaded, but its expensive. There are some built and boosted cars running around town here that use it, and these are Evo's and other similar cars putting down 500 to the wheels.

I used to have a 99 GTP that was modded and I never had any problems with KR or detonation using Shell V-Power 93 octane, and that was when I was running with the stock ECU and a smaller supercharger pulley.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 PM

yeah ive been experimenting outside the box with 100+(I experimented with my 97 back in the day as well). There is only one other person that i know of that is doing a similar experiment. Im pretty much giving away what my intentions are lol.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 PM

I will post it here as well. Here is myths of unleaded gasoline:

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance....Mythsgas1.html
Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 PM

yeah ive been experimenting outside the box with 100+(I experimented with my 97 back in the day as well). There is only one other person that i know of that is doing a similar experiment. Im pretty much giving away what my intentions are lol.
Actually over 100 octane isn't over kill as e85 is rated over 100 octane. If you notice a lot of people who are force induced are tuning their cars with e85. Only draw back to ethanol is that you lose efficiency of the gasoline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85
Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 PM

Draw back to e85 besides performance is that it is 35% less effective vs unleaded gasoline. That's not very good!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 PM

Sup bro! Not working tonight? Or are you on your phone? lol
Old 11-20-2012, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Race fuel is expensive here and only available at Road Atlanta. I have thought about mixing my own from time to time. Kind of like they mix premium and low grade to get mid-grade. Thought about mixing 98o with some 93o to theoretically get about 95o with about a 2d increase in timing but the formulas are intense and I couldn't get the math to work and although it wouldn't hurt my engine per say it didn't make financial sense to me.
Why don't you mix e85 and 93 octane gas? That should get you closer to race fuel! Maybe not quite there but it is a thought!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by locknuts27
Actually over 100 octane isn't over kill as e85 is rated over 100 octane. If you notice a lot of people who are force induced are tuning their cars with e85. Only draw back to ethanol is that you lose efficiency of the gasoline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85
You can't run E85 in our cars. Actually, you shouldn't run E85 in anything that isn't flex fuel, unless you completely revamp the fuel system of the car to cope with the corrosive effects of ethanol. You would have to remove and replace all parts containing aluminum, magnesium, and rubber. Ethanol is electrically conductive whereas gasoline is not, so you would have to use a fuel pump designed specifically for ethanol. Fuel lines would have to be stainless steel, and the gas tank would also have to be stainless, or plastic.

Besides, E85 is only available in limited areas. There isn't any place that sells it around here.

Also, E85 pumps don't have an octane rating since there isn't a way to accurately calculate the octane rating, but it lies somewhere in the 94-96 range. Also, it's more of a "false" octane, meaning that the cooling properties of ethanol burning raise it higher than gasoline.

Long story short, our car's can't use E85 unless modified to do so, and the ECU timing and fuel injector timing pulses would have to be tuned for it. And since we have now started talking about octane ratings with gasoline, let's stick with just talking about gasoline and not E85 or ethanol.

Last edited by T_Behr904; 11-20-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:39 PM

Then again, we've gone off-topic with the whole octane thing, when the thread isn't about that.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
I'm not opposed to any other ideas you guys have as long as its easy to swap out on the dyno.
Although the topic was side tracked a bit, i was being serious.

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
You can't run E85 in our cars. Actually, you shouldn't run E85 in anything that isn't flex fuel, unless you completely revamp the fuel system of the car to cope with the corrosive effects of ethanol. You would have to remove and replace all parts containing aluminum, magnesium, and rubber. Ethanol is electrically conductive whereas gasoline is not, so you would have to use a fuel pump designed specifically for ethanol. Fuel lines would have to be stainless steel, and the gas tank would also have to be stainless, or plastic.

Besides, E85 is only available in limited areas. There isn't any place that sells it around here.

Also, E85 pumps don't have an octane rating since there isn't a way to accurately calculate the octane rating, but it lies somewhere in the 94-96 range. Also, it's more of a "false" octane, meaning that the cooling properties of ethanol burning raise it higher than gasoline.

Long story short, our car's can't use E85 unless modified to do so, and the ECU timing and fuel injector timing pulses would have to be tuned for it. And since we have now started talking about octane ratings with gasoline, let's stick with just talking about gasoline and not E85 or ethanol.
Some of those statements you state there have some facts... And some are myths. I can tell you from personal experience a A32 can run E-85 w/o much modifications. FTR I have atleast 6-7 stations in a 15 mile radius of my house.

http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Page?template=Myths

Then again, we've gone off-topic with the whole octane thing, when the thread isn't about that.
Yes we did steer a little off track. Sorry smelly for whoring up your thread. And if others are ok with it ill delete my posts.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:21 AM

What about a light weight pulley vs a stock pulley? I keep hearing a light weight pulley will free up some HP that is lost in the belt system and allow for faster acceleration, etc.

I am not sure if there is dyno somewhere comparing this or not. Many have mentioned its gains are not worth it. Then again there is no actual numbers to prove this...

http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...ght-pully.html

Last edited by deloa84; 11-21-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:20 PM

Although the topic was side tracked a bit, i was being serious.
I took you seriously, I just don't want to spend more money than I already am.
Originally Posted by deloa84
What about a light weight pulley vs a stock pulley? I keep hearing a light weight pulley will free up some HP that is lost in the belt system and allow for faster acceleration, etc.

I am not sure if there is dyno somewhere comparing this or not. Many have mentioned its gains are not worth it. Then again there is no actual numbers to prove this...

http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...ght-pully.html
I don't trust a lw pulley to spin to 7.2k. There's no doubt that reducing mass will improve performance, its just a matter of how much.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:27 PM

I took you seriously, I just don't want to spend more money than I already am.

I don't trust a lw pulley to spin to 7.2k. There's no doubt that reducing mass will improve performance, its just a matter of how much.
I know you did.... but the comment I made was directed towards somewhere else.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:45 PM

I know you did.... but the comment I made was directed towards somewhere else.
Oh, you threw me off when you quoted me.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 PM

lol I work in the fuel industry, mainly work on fuel pumps. I have replaced few meters (pumps) that are for e85, they are usually nickel plated for obvious reasons.

It is true that long term effects are there when using e85 however running them every now and then will not wreak havoc with Maxima engines or any other car engine for that matter. In time it will eat away the materials but every so on isn't too bad.

Unlike you T_Behr904, e85 is abundant here in Colroado. I have seen many ricers, racers, wanna bes wanting to use e85. I will stick to regular unleaded gas as it will go further than that of ethanol. Our version of ethanol is crap, countries like Brazil and other South America has much better version of ethanol because they use sugar cane instead of corn. Anyways that's another story.

On a side note, if you aren't aware our lovely GOVT is raising the ethanol level from 10% to 15%. Which will equal horrible gas milage.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:36 PM

also nobody mentioned the size of the injectors/fuel pump you would need to switch over to E85 but I digress....
Old 11-21-2012, 02:45 PM

Sheesh, I thought the fuel talk was done.

Take it somewhere else guys.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:56 PM

Look what i started

So back to the topic at hand. When you say vias delete. Are you referring to a BOP for the solenoid side or just simply removing the power rod and leaving the vias still hooked up?
Old 11-21-2012, 04:20 PM

Sheesh, I thought the fuel talk was done.

Take it somewhere else guys.
I was going to quote a few responses back on the ethanol crap but decided not to... I'm done.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:41 PM

I was going to quote a few responses back on the ethanol crap but decided not to... I'm done.
My bad guys! Just wanted to chime in on the fuel side. I didn't mean to hi jack this thread!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:19 PM

Look what i started

So back to the topic at hand. When you say vias delete. Are you referring to a BOP for the solenoid side or just simply removing the power rod and leaving the vias still hooked up?
I plan on just removing the power rod and leaving the vias assembly since I use rtv to seal up my real bop.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
I really would like to see a short ram vs. a cold air
search....been done before....sparks03max
Originally Posted by Shift_A32B
I am leaning towards the 00v1, so vias delete vs working vias would be a wonderful idea
removing vi will result in low-end loss of power but gains in the higher rpm. the low end loss will effect daily driving but will help when it comes to racing due to the higher rpms gains. (tune is key)
Originally Posted by dwapenyi
So a 3" exhaust even helps NA? I did not know this.
where have u been

never gave me any problem in my 5.5 gen which was revving to 7200 or my 4th gen auto that was revving to 7200 as well. my 4th gen was running a lightweight pulley for 4 years with no issues
Old 11-22-2012, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by datdude20

never gave me any problem in my 5.5 gen which was revving to 7200 or my 4th gen auto that was revving to 7200 as well. my 4th gen was running a lightweight pulley for 4 years with no issues
I concer, I have run my my car in that range for years with no ill effects. UR underdriven pulley
Old 11-22-2012, 06:53 AM

Wooot I'm excited!
Old 11-22-2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by datdude20
search....been done before....sparks03max

removing vi will result in low-end loss of power but gains in the higher rpm. the low end loss will effect daily driving but will help when it comes to racing due to the higher rpms gains. (tune is key)

where have u been

Which pulley?

I was just thinking, I think I had some clearance issues with my pftb and the vias. I'll have to check it out this weekend.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:26 AM

Which pulley?

I was just thinking, I think I had some clearance issues with my pftb and the vias. I'll have to check it out this weekend.
Had motostorm on the 4th gen and a obx 4th gen pulley on my 5.5 ( just cut the timing ring off)
Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll have to rethink getting a pulley.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll have to rethink getting a pulley.
I could get a lw pulley and you can try it?
Old 11-22-2012, 11:44 AM

I have a LW Pulley on my Max I have the MOTOSTORM one, had for about 6 months plus on the car now, Love that thing, had one on the other Max that was totaled, a Ralco one same effect, loved It.....
Old 11-22-2012, 11:51 AM

One thing about deleting the power rod... It is more beneficial with an extended rev limiter. You lose low end and midrange with it deleted, whereas you gain more top end above 5K, which is the speed that the 00VI activates on 00-01 5th gens.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by deloa84
I could get a lw pulley and you can try it?
We'll see, I'm not completley sold on it yet.
One thing about deleting the power rod... It is more beneficial with an extended rev limiter. You lose low end and midrange with it deleted, whereas you gain more top end above 5K, which is the speed that the 00VI activates on 00-01 5th gens.
Yes, I have an EU so that won't be an issue.

Last edited by schmellyfart; 11-22-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:54 PM

Yes, I have an EU so that won't be an issue.
What rpm's are you going to spin it to? I believe Moncef was somewhere around the 7,200-7,400 area with his Dek. Now that he has a 3.5 block with the 3.0 timing and a different Uim, i'm not sure what he's spinning now.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:18 PM

What rpm's are you going to spin it to? I believe Moncef was somewhere around the 7,200-7,400 area with his Dek. Now that he has a 3.5 block with the 3.0 timing and a different Uim, i'm not sure what he's spinning now.
Either 7100 or 7200. Before he built the top end he was at 7200, after was 7500.
I ran it to 7100 last time I dynoed.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:58 PM

Sorry about the quality, but the power rod and VIAS are installed and ready for the dyno.

Edit: nevermind, totally forgot to put the spring back in the vias

Last edited by schmellyfart; 11-28-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:16 PM

Post the dyno slips when you get them, would love the see the differences between all the mods.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:41 PM

We'll see, I'm not completley sold on it yet.
Im not either. If a stock size LW one came up for sale for cheap I might but no way in hell would I buy one new just for the sake of installing it alone. What a 5hp gain at most?
Old 12-01-2012, 04:22 PM

I tested power rod vs power rod delete and my 3.5" maf vs stock. Didn't have time to test the Z32 maf, but I don't think it would have made any difference.

I'll post up the results as soon as I sort through the runfiles.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:52 PM

This is a no brainer.... Working VIAS and Non working VIAS... way too many prove info on intake setups.... not enough if any on VIAS difference, even if there is absolutely no power gains or loss it would be interesting to see how it affects the area under curve (granted we have somewhat an idea already)
Old 12-01-2012, 07:59 PM

agreed.

Quick Reply: Dynoing soon - what would you like compared?