4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Installed Sensens, now having issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 09:33 PM

Installed Sensens, now having issues

Ok so I bought sensen struts from APX and installed them. I now have two issues:

1.) Although the rear end is much firmer than before (old shocks were blown) I now hear a clunking coming from the back. I theorize it's cause APX did not provide new strut mounts with the full kit they sent me and that it's now clunking because the new setup is way firmer than before and the old ones can't handle it. Problem I keep running into is that I can't find the part ANYWHERE (with exception being the stealership)

2.) I have no idea what I could possibly have done wrong on the right front, but now when I turn the wheel sharply, I feel as if something is popping out (again, after installing new suspension). Everything was torqued to spec using air tools

ANY and ALL ideas are greatly appreciated for everything as it's driving me off the wall mad and I can't stand how ****ty the car sounds (though I am loving how much better it handles)

thanks all!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:12 PM

I'm guessing you didn't put new strut mounts in the front. Your prolly gonna need those. I have the same problem with the popping noise and I have it narrowed down to that. If you replace them don't try to just replace the struts bearings, trust me it doesn't work for long. Get the whole front struts mounts.

If someone else has a better idea what causes that popping feel free to correct me, but I'm pretty certain it's the strut mounts.

As for the rear, the mounts sound like a good guess. I would yank around down there and check for loose bushings and connections
Old 11-25-2012, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by cjanderson3
I'm guessing you didn't put new strut mounts in the front. Your prolly gonna need those. I have the same problem with the popping noise and I have it narrowed down to that. If you replace them don't try to just replace the struts bearings, trust me it doesn't work for long. Get the whole front struts mounts.

If someone else has a better idea what causes that popping feel free to correct me, but I'm pretty certain it's the strut mounts.

As for the rear, the mounts sound like a good guess. I would yank around down there and check for loose bushings and connections
i def got new strut mounts for the front and installed them. I mean is their anyway way to install them incorrectly?? You can only get them to fit one way...
Old 11-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Using air tools isn't the way to torque correctly.
Check the rear mounts and bushings. If anything the bushings should have been replaced.
Make sure the nubs on the bushings completely isolate the shock shaft from the mount.
Make sure it's assembled in the correct order.

Check the front assembly, the word OUT stamped on the upper spring perch must face outwards or be in line with the struts lower mounting flange. The bearing should have been replaced or opened and serviced with new grease.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:39 AM

Make sure your your exhaust Is not hitting the rear axle.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by TreizeRXH
i def got new strut mounts for the front and installed them. I mean is their anyway way to install them incorrectly?? You can only get them to fit one way...
when i did my fronts i did everything from the mounts to the boots to the springs/struts as well as that little round thing that helps you to steer. u gotta cut a couple inches of teh boots so you dont get too much bounce on the way up.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:19 PM

i hope you marked where your old mounts went on top when you took it out to replace the struts